Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Guide to AA Boarding Priority, Order and Times
including minimum gate arrival time to board
Link to "Boarding Process" page on aa.com

See the current charts in Post #1.

CURRENT Boarding process as of Apr 2018

(NOTE: The archived thread discussing the announcement, etc. can be read here: ARCHIVE: AA announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

NOTE: Changes have been implemented 01 March 2017, as tweeted by JonNYC. See American Airlines announces new boarding policy effective 1 March 2017

Link to March 1 boarding process on aa.com.

On March 1, 2017, American Airlines will launch a new, simplified boarding process. In the future, all customers will be assigned a group number (1 through 9) based on their ticket type, elite status level and priority. We will call the group number in our announcements rather than all customer types. The boarding order will be the same, with only minor exceptions. The change is in how we refer to each group on boarding passes and announcements. Our ConciergeKey members will be invited to board prior to general boarding.
  • Preboard: Pax requiring assistance, ConciergeKey (+ Five Star customers)
  • Group 1 - First class or 2 cabin international Business class / Active duty U.S. military with military I.D. link(Business on a 2-class international plane)
  • Group 2 - Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald / 3 Cabin Business class
  • Group 3 - Platinum Pro / Platinum / oneworld Sapphire
  • Group 4 - Gold, oneworld Ruby, Air Pass, Premium Economy, Executive Citi credit card, purchased Priority Boarding
    Group 5 (preferred boarding) - Main Cabin Extra (excluding Basic Economy), Eligible corporate travelers**, Other AAdvantage eligible credit cards*
  • Group 6 - 8 - Coach Groups, Basic Economy on longhaul transoceanic
  • Group 9 - Basic Economy within the U.S., Canada, Mexico & Caribbean

*Eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers (on American Airlines flights) include:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select World EliteTM Mastercard®
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® American Express® Card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Visa Signature
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red Mastercard®
  • AAdvantage® AviatorTM Business Mastercard®

NOTE: AA recent policy has included "Should you arrive at the gate after Priority customers have been called, you may bypass the General Boarding lines and enjoy the convenience of boarding anytime via your new dedicated boarding lane." (American Airlines policy.)

See Ben Schlappig / Lucky's blog here.

Boarding times See chart in first post.

NOTE: AA gate agents seem to often and unpredictably begin boarding earlier than the scheduled times mentioned below.

50 minutes prior to departure From/To the United States and:="4"%Europe
Middle East
Asia
South American destinations: Asuncion, PY; Brasilia, BR; Belo Horizonte, BR; Curitiba, Br; Buenos Aires, AR; Rio de Janeiro, BR; Sao Paulo, BR; Lima, PE; Montevideo, UY; Porto Alegre, BR; Recife, BR; Salvador, BR; Santiago, CL; Sao Paulo Viracop, BR

45 minutes prior to departure - From/To the United States and:="4"%Caribbean
Central America
Hawaii
Mexico
South American destinations: La Paz, BO; Santa Cruz, BO; Maracaibo, VE; Caracas, VE; Bogota, CO; Cali, CO; Medellin, CO; Guayaquil, EC; Quito, EC

35 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A321, A321S, A330, B757, B767, B787, B777="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada

30 minutes prior to departure - Domestic on these aircraft types: A319, A320, A321T, E190, S80, B737="4"%Within the 48 contiguous states
Alaska
Canada
At the Gate prior to boarding

Conditions of Carriage (Link

"Arrival at Gate
You must be at the gate and ready to board the aircraft:

15 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -within- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands

30 minutes prior to scheduled departure for flights departing from points -outside- the U.S., Puerto Rico, and Virgin Islands, i.e., Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, Central/South America, Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda"

For gate arrival, AA states: "Recommended before your flight: Link

30 minutes

Be at the gate, ready to board. Doors close 10 minutes before departure – once they close you'll be denied boarding."
The posts made prior to 1 Mar 2017 may be read here.

Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
No way. Bins are usually chock full by 3 sometimes 4. Get ready to gate check.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:50 pm

Group 6 - online check in
Group 7 - check in using kiosk
Group 8 - check in at the desk with an agent
DCAFly likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
Group 6 - online check in
Group 7 - check in using kiosk
Group 8 - check in at the desk with an agent
That's good to know. Has that consistently been your and other's experience i.e. if I do online check-in fairly close to 24 hours with a main cabin ticket, I should get group 6?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When AA checks bags at the gate, agents now print a bag tag. The bag is scanned into the hold and can be followed on through connections to delivery in the same manner as one can follow a bag checked at the counter.

I would not sweat this detail as there is no way to predict what will happen with your specific flight and there is nothing you can do to affect it. Just make sure that any valuables, medications and the like are packed in your smaller personal items. Alternatively, pack a small foldable bag in your larger item and make the transfer if it's looking as though checking at the gate is in the cards.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by fly_away
That's good to know. Has that consistently been your and other's experience i.e. if I do online check-in fairly close to 24 hours with a main cabin ticket, I should get group 6?

Thanks
that’s what it used to be 4 years ago when i didn’t have status. Time of check in shouldn’t matter as long as you check in online. Also if you checked in online and need to see the agent to check a bag your Group 6 will stick. Recently my friend with no status checked in online and got group 6. I assume its still the same process and AA never assigned groups based on the seat location with the exception of paid MCE (group 5)
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have a feeling that after your trip you may come to realize how pointless it is to pay the extra $70 for main cabin without status. You could have used that $70 to help you pay for main cabin extra seats that would have given you more legroom, free drinks, and earlier boarding. All main cabin without status gives a customer is the opportunity to pick a window or aisle seat in the back of the plane and get a slightly less crappy, but still crappy boarding group.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly_away
I purchased a ticket to fly on AA in the main cabin (NOT basic economy) and I don't have any status with AA.

I see from their website that my boarding group would be between 6-8 but there is no clarification which boarding group it would be.

- For people in the main cabin without AA status is the boarding group determined by whether you are in front-back of plane, aisle vs. window or some other method?

- Will I likely get bin space for a 21" carry-on?

Thanks
Well, if you’re departing PHL you can always try to slide the GA a $20 and if your experience is anything like mine s/he’ll find a way to store it in the closet or somewhere in F. I’ve sadly have multiple experiences where this has worked, and I’m not necessarily happy about it.

Last edited by cmd320; Feb 20, 2020 at 5:35 pm
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I gate check to my final destination often. I do this because I've already checked two bags that will need to be reclaimed and I don't want to drag the third one around the airport(s). The tags are computer printed, and I do not recall any issues over the years. Further, I volunteer to gate check as soon as I walk up to the gate, before the GA has made a call for gate checking. I've only ever received push back when the gate agent replied, "The flight is only half full, so nobody will need to gate check."

Note: they do not charge me for it even though it's my 3rd bag.
karenkay, rasheed and cmd320 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by enviroian
No way. Bins are usually chock full by 3 sometimes 4. Get ready to gate check.
Although I'm sure it depends on the route, I'd say "chock full" is an overstatement by the end of elite boarding. I connected through hubs (PHX, DFW) on AA just a few weeks ago and while the bins were crowded by the end of Group 4, there was space later into the boarding.

I wish AA would do what their JV partner BA does from time to time, and on flights they know will be full, allow passengers to check a bag for free at the baggage counter - provided it meets carry-on rules (size and weight).
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I always bored with group 5, and although the bins are sometimes almost full by that time, I have always been able to find a place for my bag in this group. It hasn't always been right next to my seat, but there is always room somewhere on the plane when I board with group 5. There have been times, however, where I got one of the last spaces available. But that's only occasionally.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Also see GUIDE: AA Boarding Priority, Order and Related Issues (as of 2018) this will most likely be merged. And

Boarding order
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
if its anything like my boarding experience.. when the GA calls the first group... everyone sitting by the gate will join in.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
If this is that important, can you just get the credit card? Annual fee is waived for the first year. You will get earlier boarding or you can just check the bag for free.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by coolcoil
I gate check to my final destination often. I do this because I've already checked two bags that will need to be reclaimed and I don't want to drag the third one around the airport(s). The tags are computer printed, and I do not recall any issues over the years. Further, I volunteer to gate check as soon as I walk up to the gate, before the GA has made a call for gate checking. I've only ever received push back when the gate agent replied, "The flight is only half full, so nobody will need to gate check."

Note: they do not charge me for it even though it's my 3rd bag.
I did this on a couple of flights last week, although I waited for the GA to make the gate check announcement (thanks for the tip, coolcoil, I'll volunteer next time).

was quite convenient, and free. we'd already checked our two complimentary bags; we dropped this rollaboard at the end of the jetway and picked it up at baggage claim with the others.
the bag tag was printed, not handwritten, and as mentioned upthread I was able to follow it along with the other two in the app. I was, frankly, thrilled not to have to figure out where to stow it onboard (group 5, seats near the front and full flight) and not to have to drag it through CLT. super convenient.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
American Airlines Boarding Group Placement

Hello,
This is my first time on American in four years so I have a question on how this boarding process will work. My itinerary is SLC-DFW-PIB with SLC-DFW in first class (R fare) and DFW-PIB in Main Cabin (S fare). I know I will be Group 1 on the first leg but it is unclear for the second leg. Since I am in first class on my first flight will that give me any sort of priority boarding on my connecting flight on the CRJ200 in MC? Side note and not sure if it's related but I was also able to select a preferred seat in the exit row for free on the DFW-PIB leg. Thanks for the responses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.