Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund

The latest change policy may be read here (Thanks to MRP Alert for resource link.)
The above link appears to be broken. The latest change policy, as of June 13, 2023, can be found here.

As of March 2022:
  • Limited changes allowed if schedule change is 60 minutes or less.
  • More flexibility if schedule change is 61 minutes or more.
  • Refunds on non-refundable fares typically require a schedule change of 241 minutes or more.

NOTE: The Detailed Fare Rules for your ticket(s) details refundability, etc. You can read (and print to PDF, etc.) before you purchase. Regardless of fare title (Refundable, Flexible, etc.) you should read these prior to purchase.

beachfan has shared:

I believe if it's an equipment swap, to a less desirable plane (I.e, 777 to 738) then yes, full refund, otherwise it's 120 minutes. One Mile at a Time blog covered this and referred to the contract of carriage (or whatever the linked document is called; it's titled general rules).

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...irplane-change

International Tariff (March 2023)

International General Rules

Code:
SCHEDULE CHANGE
IN THE EVENT, AFTER TICKET ISSUANCE, SCHEDULE
CHANGES ARE MADE BY AA THAT:
(I) AFFECT A PASSENGER'S DEPARTURE AND/OR
ARRIVAL BY 2 OR MORE HOURS;
(II) RESULT IN THE ADDITION OF AN INTERMEDIATE
STOP ON THE PASSENGER'S ITINERARY;
(III) RESULT IN A SUBSTITUTION OF EQUIPMENT NOT
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER; OR
(IV) IF A CANCELLATION OR A CHANGE IN EITHER AIR
OR TOUR ITINERARY IS INITIATED EITHER BY AA
OR IT'S TOUR OPERATORS WHICH IS UNACCEPTABLE
TO THE PASSENGER, THE PASSENGER WILL HAVE THE
OPTION OF CANCELLING WITHOUT PENALTY, OR
REROUTING ON DIFFERENT FLIGHTS TO/FROM THE
SAME OR DIFFERENT DESTINATION. HOWEVER, THE
PASSENGER MUST PAY ANY ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS
RESULTING FROM THE REROUTING.
Older posts may be read here.
Print Wikipost

AA schedule changes - flight change / cancellation / refund policy (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:01 pm

Just got notification flight change on return from Maui in Jan, flight leaves 1:25 earlier than originally scheduled. Flying A321neo through PHX with connection home unchanged, just longer layover due to earlier flight.

Any chance they will change me to 772 through DFW if I call as an EXP. Much prefer the lie flat seats in business.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by jrb CO
Just got notification flight change on return from Maui in Jan, flight leaves 1:25 earlier than originally scheduled. Flying A321neo through PHX with connection home unchanged, just longer layover due to earlier flight.

Any chance they will change me to 772 through DFW if I call as an EXP. Much prefer the lie flat seats in business.
Well, since you have an important appointment that afternoon in Kahului which can not be changed, and this is a 85 minute schedule change. I don’t see why they couldn’t accommodate you...
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Ba executive club
Flight time pushed to later. Is it likely to be changeable to an earlier flight

Hi guys.
After a lot of searching , I have been unable to get a clear answer so I was hoping someone might be able to advise me.

My wife and I are doing a road trip around Texas and then onto playa del Carmen for a week afterwards for some relax time.

I booked a flight with AA through Expedia (I had to as AA site wasn't accepting my Irish credit card) and we booked AA1547 on the 11/30/19 @ 18:50.

Subsequently this has been changed To 19:12 and again until 19:15. I know it's only 25 mins in total but the issue is the arrival time which has now changed to 11:00 PM.

We have booked an AirBnB for the week ( I had a gift voucher from work to use) and because we will now not be able to get to the AirBnB until way after 11 the Host has an late night check in fee of 100 dollars extra. He was OK with our previous arrival time.

Now because AA have changed us later , I will be out of pocket.

I have called Expedia but they say it's too small a change in time to do anything for me

What do you think I should do?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Owen Thornhill
Subsequently this has been changed To 19:12 and again until 19:15. I know it's only 25 mins in total but the issue is the arrival time which has now changed to 11:00 PM.

We have booked an AirBnB for the week ( I had a gift voucher from work to use) and because we will now not be able to get to the AirBnB until way after 11 the Host has an late night check in fee of 100 dollars extra. He was OK with our previous arrival time.
I think you misplanned it if you thought that you could get from the airport to the AirBnB by 11 pm when the flight was 25 minutes earlier.

Flights are late all the time, and even with the earlier flights, if it had been one or two hours late, what would you have done? Neither Expedia nor AA would have compensated you for that either?

IMHO, if you had to check in by 11 pm or else pay extra, you should have either booked a flights that arrived hours earlier, or else planned on paying extra anyway.

And you still need to do that, because the flight could be a bit early or a bit late. And are you checking bags? The time it takes to get out the airport is very dependent on whether you check bags or not. And are you sitting at the front of the plane or the back? The time it to get off of the plane is very dependent on where you sit on the plane.

So many things can affect when you get out of the airport by more than 25 minutes, that it seems to me that you misplanned things if 25 minutes of a flight change totally ruined everything.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Owen Thornhill
Hi guys.
After a lot of searching , I have been unable to get a clear answer so I was hoping someone might be able to advise me.

My wife and I are doing a road trip around Texas and then onto playa del Carmen for a week afterwards for some relax time.

I booked a flight with AA through Expedia (I had to as AA site wasn't accepting my Irish credit card) and we booked AA1547 on the 11/30/19 @ 18:50.

Now because AA have changed us later , I will be out of pocket.

I have called Expedia but they say it's too small a change in time to do anything for me

What do you think I should do?
The rules for changes under 60 minutes are very limited, but do allow for changing to the next closest departure, provided the same fare inventory is available. The earlier flight on that day, AA2704, is wide open, so I think that change would be allowed. (See the policy in the first link of the wiki.)

Unfortunately, I think you have to go through Expedia, rather than dealing with AA directly.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not happening.
I was successful in the opposite direction, had a BA award MUC-LHR-PHL-CLE with the surcharge and, due to involuntary schedule change overnight, they moved me to AA metal MUC-CLT-CLE and actually refunded my surcharge. I was pretty happy to get a call from AA that they were refunding US$300! The first agent refused completely to fix my 11-hour misconnection (even said I had to pay extra miles to get a valid flight), didn't even ask for a supervisor. Second gentleman very quickly put me on hold and fixed everything.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wnissen
I was successful in the opposite direction, had a BA award MUC-LHR-PHL-CLE with the surcharge and, due to involuntary schedule change overnight, they moved me to AA metal MUC-CLT-CLE and actually refunded my surcharge.
That's routine, they have to refund the surcharge in that event.
wnissen likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: American Airlines
Refund After Already Changing Flight?

A flight I have in January was canceled (737-800 being moved to substitute elsewhere for MAX8 cancellations, I think) and I was switched onto another flight two hours (exactly) earlier. That flight involved getting up at 4 in the morning so I called in and got changed to the previous day instead. Subsequently that new flight I asked to be rescheduled to has also come into conflict with other responsibilities.

I called the exp line to ask if it was possible to cancel and get a refund and was told that there was nothing that could be done since I had already "accepted" the schedule change.

In the document linked in the Wiki at the top of this page it says this in the "Additional Categories – Rebooking After Schedule Change Acceptance" section.
"Refunds: Once the agency has accepted the schedule change and either:
 Reissued the ticket for the schedule change annotating SKCHG in the Endorsement Box
 Revalidated the ticket for schedule change using SalesLink - Schedule Change - Double-Time – Revalidate AA Flights
 AA Auto-Revalidated the ticket
and the customer decides not to travel; A refund is permitted as long as the original schedule change was 60 minutes or greater"

It seems like that last line implies I can still get a refund. I know I have violated the "measure twice cut once" principle, but I'm still holding onto a shred of hope.

Am I reading the guidelines wrong? Is there any point pursuing this further? I appreciate any help those with relevant experience or knowledge may offer.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
If I booked a fight with miles and the schedule changes more than 60 mins can I request a different flight during the day?

Or are these flight changes only for paid tickets?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
If I booked a fight with miles and the schedule changes more than 60 mins can I request a different flight during the day?

Or are these flight changes only for paid tickets?
Paid and award.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
A flight I have in January was canceled (737-800 being moved to substitute elsewhere for MAX8 cancellations, I think) and I was switched onto another flight two hours (exactly) earlier. That flight involved getting up at 4 in the morning so I called in and got changed to the previous day instead. Subsequently that new flight I asked to be rescheduled to has also come into conflict with other responsibilities.

I called the exp line to ask if it was possible to cancel and get a refund and was told that there was nothing that could be done since I had already "accepted" the schedule change.

In the document linked in the Wiki at the top of this page it says this in the "Additional Categories – Rebooking After Schedule Change Acceptance" section.

"Refunds: Once the agency has accepted the schedule change and either:

 Reissued the ticket for the schedule change annotating SKCHG in the Endorsement Box
 Revalidated the ticket for schedule change using SalesLink - Schedule Change - Double-Time – Revalidate AA Flights
 AA Auto-Revalidated the ticket

and the customer decides not to travel; A refund is permitted as long as the original schedule change was 60 minutes or greater"

It seems like that last line implies I can still get a refund. I know I have violated the "measure twice cut once" principle, but I'm still holding onto a shred of hope.

Am I reading the guidelines wrong? Is there any point pursuing this further? I appreciate any help those with relevant experience or knowledge may offer.
You said YOU called and asked to be changed to a flight the previous day. That is NOT auto-revalidation; it is a customer-requested change. Auto-revalidation was what happened prior to your call. The agent is correct that you should not be allowed to cancel and get a refund. However, there is no harm in calling again and trying with another agent. You might get lucky.
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:07 am

I've got AAward flights booked in Feb 2020 flying POS-MIA-YYZ with an overnight stop in MIA. AA just rescheduled my flight which means that I leave MIA 5 hours later than originally scheduled. This means that I get into YYZ at night instead of daytime. Since I have a 3hr drive from YYZ I'm likely to book a YYZ hotel for the night of arrival.

Since this is non-weather related change do I have any options for compensation from AA?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peter1962
I've got AAward flights booked in Feb 2020 flying POS-MIA-YYZ with an overnight stop in MIA. AA just rescheduled my flight which means that I leave MIA 5 hours later than originally scheduled. This means that I get into YYZ at night instead of daytime. Since I have a 3hr drive from YYZ I'm likely to book a YYZ hotel for the night of arrival.

Since this is non-weather related change do I have any options for compensation from AA?
If you mean compensation for the YYZ hotel, no.

However, you do have the option of looking for other POS...YYZ routings and requesting the change at no charge if you find something you like. Or canceling at no charge and doing your own new booking.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Can I request a change of routing with 70 minutes change? Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
Can I request a change of routing with 70 minutes change? Thanks.
Yes if it is same day +- 1 day if no other options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.