Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAA 777-200ER / "777" Best Business Class (NGBC) / J seat (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: LAA 777-200ER / "777" Best Business Class (NGBC) / J seat (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Robbiemp
I am wondering if anyone who is familiar with this cabin can advise me. Thanks.
Yes, lots of people can advise you in this thread where it's extensively discussed. Search terms: "777" seat

Best 777 / 772 Business Class / J seat (consolidated)
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some like the bulkhead, others prefer the option of storing personal items in the foot pocket under the seat in front of them - this can not be done on the 777 (or 767-323ER) seat, iirc, due to FARs. In any case, the 777 has larger storage nooks (actually large enough for 12D shoes) unlike the much smaller cubbies in the 763.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Need some advise on Seats for 777 (J) and 763 (F-Domestic)

I am flying with the family in a couple of weeks LHR-ORD (777/Business) connecting to ORD-MIA (763-First). We are flying 5 (Myself, Mrs., our 2 boys [8 and 4] + Mother-in-law).

I am probably stressing more than I should but this is the first time I am traveling with everyone and their first time up front. But hey this is flyertalk so I know we have a lot of experts here.

What is the best seating arrangement for this AC and pax configuration. Currently have 10 (D,E,G,H,J) on the 777. I noticed however in a recent flight that G and H are offset (ie. not in a straight line with each other). So wondering if maybe doing (3 and 2) in the middle section is better (say 10 DEG, and 11 EG) ?

On the second flight 763, given the 2,2,2 config, we have selected 4 H-J,5-H-J and 4G. Is this the best configuration for this flight ?

There are still a lot of open seats so I can still change the seat selections.

TIA in advance for any tips.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Robbiemp
I am flying Business Class from LHR to LAX on the 777. As this is the first time I am taking AA, I was trying to see what the best Business Class seat would be. I chose 9A as Seat Guru shows a lot of space inbetween the bulkhead and the seat, enabling me to leave my seat without inconveniencing the passenger next to me. I am wondering if anyone who is familiar with this cabin can advise me. Thanks.
Also, FYI, despite the way it looks on Seatguru, 9A/B have no additional legroom than any other seats. 8H/J are actually forward into where the closet is on the diagram, close to inline with the lav.

I haven't noticed any NGBC seat on the 777 or 763 which will allow a window passenger to more easily get out than any other seat. Fact is, if your aisle-mate has their forward tray down or is reclined, it is a challenge to get out without doing some gymnastics (such as bracing yourself with your arms over the fixed seat to lift yourself over), or them moving. This is one of the major trade offs when compared to herringbone seating.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
As Azulcactus points out, no J seat has any additional space. BTW, 8 H/J are typically held for assignment by the GA.
If you want to avoid the hassle of maneuvering past the pax in B seat, you'll need to take the aisle yourself. Not ideal, I know..
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by redrock
Currently have 10 (D,E,G,H,J) on the 777. I noticed however in a recent flight that G and H are offset (ie. not in a straight line with each other). So wondering if maybe doing (3 and 2) in the middle section is better (say 10 DEG, and 11 EG)
I'd stick with what you have, that way you are all sitting next to people you know and even if the row isn't totally in line you can still see each other a little more easily than if you are in the row behind.

On the second flight 763, given the 2,2,2 config, we have selected 4 H-J,5-H-J and 4G. Is this the best configuration for this flight ?
The preferred seats are usually DG as they are both aisle seats so no need to climb over anyone, but they may be taken already?

Only other thing I'd factor in would be the meal service and that might mean you'd want to be a bit further back in the cabin on the LHR-ORD leg as the meal orders will be taken from the back of the plane so you have a better chance of getting your first choice if you were in row 12 perhaps.
Old May 12, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
I need a little help with seat selection. I've read through the entire thread and have surmised the following:

8H-J : some love them / some hate them
Bulkhead = same legroom as other seats but must stow carry-on for take-off / landing
Not to hard to step over to get out of a window / middle seat

Beyond the carry on is there any other disadvantage to the bulkhead?

I have the choice between 12B and 9B and was thinking 9B as my flight is even numbered.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old May 12, 2010, 4:38 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MorganB
I need a little help with seat selection. I've read through the entire thread and have surmised the following:

8H-J : some love them / some hate them
Bulkhead = same legroom as other seats but must stow carry-on for take-off / landing
Not to hard to step over to get out of a window / middle seat

Beyond the carry on is there any other disadvantage to the bulkhead?

I have the choice between 12B and 9B and was thinking 9B as my flight is even numbered.

Thanks for any suggestions!
I've been in 8H before and in row 9. Only things that I notice (which have probably been mentioned upthread) are:
  1. More foot traffic passing by you with people going to the lavs
  2. The bulkhead seatbelts are thicker and heavier as they have an airbag built into them

I personally don't mind either that much - either on "shorter" flights like LHR-ORD or slightly longer ORD-NRT.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by JY1024
I've been in 8H before and in row 9. Only things that I notice (which have probably been mentioned upthread) are:
  1. More foot traffic passing by you with people going to the lavs
  2. The bulkhead seatbelts are thicker and heavier as they have an airbag built into them

I personally don't mind either that much - either on "shorter" flights like LHR-ORD or slightly longer ORD-NRT.
Thanks for the info. I think I did read about the bigger seatbelt but had forgotten about it.
Old May 19, 2010, 4:46 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
Seating Question AA115 LHR-JFK Business Class

Just booked this, currently have a full choice of seats in business.

Seat Guru says that 9A/B can be "bothersome due to nearby lavatories", but it looks like they have a massive amount of legroom.

Is that correct and if so does the legroom compensate, or not, for the "bothersome lavatories?"
Old May 19, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
This will be on a 777 and the legroom is the same for every seat.

I do not find the lavatories bothersome, but others might.

Bear in mind that the orders for the main (first) meal will be taken from the back of the business cabin on this flight. So, you might want to sit a few rows further back to give yourself a better chance of getting your first choice from the menu.
Old May 19, 2010, 5:25 am

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jlsw7
This will be on a 777 and the legroom is the same for every seat.

I do not find the lavatories bothersome, but others might.

Bear in mind that the orders for the main (first) meal will be taken from the back of the business cabin on this flight. So, you might want to sit a few rows further back to give yourself a better chance of getting your first choice from the menu.
OK thanks for that. Any idea why it looks like such a huge gap on seat guru?
Old May 19, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
My wife and I flew in 9 A&B to Tokyo last Feb and enjoyed the privacy. The wall does come back a bit on row nine seats A-G because of the lav and closet. The lavs are close to the 2nd door so it really is not bothersome. Have fun!
Old May 19, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666
OK thanks for that. Any idea why it looks like such a huge gap on seat guru?
No, but the gap does not exist on the aircraft. Really, the boxes containing the lavatories and closets (not shown) on the diagram should extend up to the start of seats 9A&B and 9D,E&G.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Since the NGBC are all "pod" style, the legroom and pitch should be the same for all. As others have posted, on the AB side and middle, the lavs take up more room than the closet on the HJ side. You can see it in this picture:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...-ER/1664306/M/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.