Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LAA 777-200ER / "777" Best Business Class (NGBC) / J seat (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: LAA 777-200ER / "777" Best Business Class (NGBC) / J seat (consolidated)

Old Apr 15, 09, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

i went to seat guru but was not clear if 9A is a good seat...any suggestions??
for ord-delhi flight

MODERATOR NOTE:

As of July 23, 2017, there are no aircraft remaining in this configuration.

Please see the archived version of this thread for previous posts: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
[/B]

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 6, 17 at 10:55 pm Reason: There are no aircraft remaining in this configuration
Old Apr 16, 09, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
There does not seem to be a lot to choose between the Seatguru and SeatExpert descriptions of 777 J, except that SeatExpert says of the bulkhead rows:
there is no under-seat storage in front of you
while SeatGuru says:
there is a storage area for use during takeoff and landing
My recollection is that SeatGuru is correct?
Old Apr 16, 09, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 6 MM, AC, DL (MM) & Lifetime SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton Diamond;too many others;
Choose ROW2Aisle seats says ROW2Aisle

Originally Posted by lax747 View Post
for ord-delhi flight
As per my FT handle take ROW2Aisle from the front for the even numbered outbound flights (seat 10B) and take ROW2Aisle from the back of the cabin (12B) for the odd numbered inbound flights. Those two seats have the impressions of my rear end from my constant use and now fit my body contours perfectly.
Old Apr 16, 09, 5:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by lax747 View Post
for ord-delhi flight

I'm fond of 8H-J. Not a popular choice, but hey....

I like the snug feeling of not having seats to the left.
Old Apr 16, 09, 6:10 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
I'm fond of 8H-J. Not a popular choice, but hey....

I like the snug feeling of not having seats to the left.
When travelling this route w/ my wife I actually enjoyed 8H-J. Kinda secluded.
On the NGBC's I use a "day-bag" with in-flight necessities (meds, iPod, etc.) and suspend it from the little clip on the seat back, for quick access. This way I don't need to clog the area in front of the seat, which can impede leg rest and seat extension.

On my 4 ORD/DEL fights travellign alone I try for a "D" seat (lavatory side), and then monitor the seat map -- willing to draft from one row to the next -- in hopes of having an empty middle seat next to me.
I don't worry much about FEBO as there are usually at least 2 meal selections I'd accept, and it's never been a problem.
Old Apr 16, 09, 6:44 am

When have people found that 8H-J becomes available? It is mostly blocked in advance.

And is SeatGuru correct:
Old Apr 16, 09, 7:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Under FAA regulations, you are not allowed to use the footwell for storage of any kind during takeoff and landing; AA did not get the use of the footspace under the bulkhead STCd for stowage. Seatguru seems to have it wrong - they seem to update Seatguru less frequently, now that it belongs to TripAdvisor, though they appear to have made a good faith effort recently. (SeatExpert is operated by an active FlyerTalker, seems to be kept more up to date.)

Originally Posted by nbevan View Post
There does not seem to be a lot to choose between the Seatguru and SeatExpert descriptions of 777 J, except that SeatExpert says of the bulkhead rows:

there is no under-seat storage in front of you

while SeatGuru says:

My recollection is that SeatGuru is correct?

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 09 at 7:26 am Reason: typoe
Old Apr 16, 09, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Under FAA regulations, you are not allowed to use the footwell for storage of any kind.
Though probably not enforced in practice?
Old Apr 16, 09, 7:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The last few 777 flights I have been on it was indeed. If there is an FAA inspector type on board and they fail to enforce, they get written up. It was, IMO, an oversight on behalf of AA and Recaro, but nonetheless FARs must be enforced.

Old Apr 16, 09, 7:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The last few 777 flights I have been on it was indeed. If there is an FAA inspector type on board and they fail to enforce, they get written up. It was, IMO, an oversight on behalf of AA and Recaro, but nonetheless FARs must be enforced.
Spotty at best, then. On all of our 777 and 763 flights I've used that area (not even knowing until now that it wasn't allowed) and nary a peep. I would argue that, rules aside, SeatGuru is more correct as, in practice, the space is available for takeoff/landing storage.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 09, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EP
On a recent TATL flight in 9(g), I noted that of the five other pax in the bulkhead row, three of them had small bags in the floorwell which they were not required to move for takeoff or landing. I had my own small bag (with cd player, magazines, etc.) on the empty middle seat next to me, which I also was not asked to move.

FYI, although seatguru said that (9)g) was only so-so, I liked the seat due to easy proximity to restroom and first service (FEBO was followed). Only negative was the AVOD screen was terrible (poor backlighting and resolution).
Old Apr 16, 09, 9:25 am

When have people found that 8H-J becomes available? It is mostly blocked in advance.

And is SeatGuru correct:
Very rarely will they pop up so you can select them oh say the night before, but has happened to me. Most of the time they are airport controlled. I will try in FAT to get them to give me 8H today, if not Ill try once at LAX. I like the 8 row as well.
Old Apr 16, 09, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chanp View Post
Very rarely will they pop up so you can select them oh say the night before, but has happened to me. Most of the time they are airport controlled. I will try in FAT to get them to give me 8H today, if not Ill try once at LAX. I like the 8 row as well.
On the 777 flights I regularly monitor from LHR. these seats usually open up around 23 hours before take-off, often the seats will get taken quickly so it will appear that they are still blocked if you don't look at the right time.
Old Apr 16, 09, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
On the 777 flights I regularly monitor from LHR. these seats usually open up around 23 hours before take-off, often the seats will get taken quickly so it will appear that they are still blocked if you don't look at the right time.
Great tip. ^
Old Apr 16, 09, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
I go with 10D every time. (Am actually sort of miffed - my wife and I have 10G and H for an ORD-LHR RT in May - it just won't feel right.)

Aisle to the left, often-empty middle seat to the right. On the LH side of the aircraft and near the front of business class for quick exits. Usually enough food to go around, even on odd-numbered flights.

Seat Guru says row 11 is noisy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: