Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
This thread is validating since as a EXP who flies to DFW and ORD a fair amount, I have grown to accept there are no upgrades from PHX to those cities. I have considered flying PHX-SEA-ORD because that route seems to be empty in J, but only if I can justify it with a client meeting in Seattle. Like others, if I want J these days, I am more likely to buy it at least on a long flight to the East Coast.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm at the point with EXP that the OWE is working to my advantage as my travels have shifted from Domestic flight to Asia and European destinations.

I value the SWU's and being accommodated with there's interruptions to travel plans. The F lounge access and near first to board the aircraft are appreciated indeed. But when traveling in the US, I'm usually going coast to coast so I'm eyeing the nonstops and often find a deal that's better to just buy F/J. I'm the road warrior that's at my home airport around 4:30 AM too. So if I'm not up front, I'm very happy with my exit row (aisle) seat when I see that I'm between #4-6 on the upgrade list.
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
the ENTIRE AADVANTAGE PROGRAM is a shadow of it's former self
The grass looks always greener on the other side.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
The grass looks always greener on the other side.
That's just it, there is nothing green left these days. All I see these days is brown wasteland - left and right ;-)
prw555 likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by wetrat0
You are complaining that you can't get a free upgrade on a flight to AA's busiest hub at the busiest business travel time of week. Free upgrades (and "sticker" upgrades) have always existed to give away seats that would otherwise go unsold. As others have mentioned, the economy is booming, load factors are high, and airlines are aggressively monetizing First and Business class. But all that aside, if AA cannot sell out F on Monday morning DFW flights then there is something seriously wrong with their pricing and revenue management.

If you really want F your options are to put up the $ to buy F or take less convenient flights/routings where you are more likely to be upgraded, but the latter takes up your time. Only you can decide how much your time is worth in dollars. I am not EXP but personally I would never take a time-consuming routing to increase my upgrade chances. I would just sit in MCE and think about how great it will be to get to my destination in the shortest amount of time possible.
I posted a similar one on the DL chain. Elite gets you MCE or C+ or E+ on AA, DL or UA respectively. It's the space. F now is buy it. This is also beginning to be the story for international as PE available on AA and DL has changed UG opportunities. Elite status is almost no more about UG's. That train has left the station for good.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bcj1949
... That train has left the station for good.
... or at least until the next recession.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jungly
... and they love to jack up the price for all the arrivals to DFW at lunch hour.
You mean that they charge higher prices when there's higher demand? Don't lots of businesses/industries work that way?
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The carriers also learned another lesson during the financial crisis. That is one which they presumably won't repeat should the economy tank again. During the financial crisis, carriers did not capacity, Rather, they slashed fares and increased benefits. That was a poor strategy. Better to cut capacity when the economy is down and both business and leisure passengers cut back.

On the other hand, people do have selective memories. Cheap fares and freebie UG's were great. Unless you or your employer or both were in the tank.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Actually, there is a tier above Executive Platinum that has higher upgrade priority. It is called Concierge Key and it is by invitation only. You probably have heard gate agents offer preboarding to Concierge Key members. As an EXP, I have noticed that my upgrade rate has declined ever since CKs received first priority for upgrades, and since the priority within status levels changed to rolling EQD instead of timestamp of request.

Bottom line is: in today's world, if it matters to you that much to sit in the premium cabin, just pay for a premium cabin ticket. You no longer can expect to have your complimentary upgrades clear as an EXP.
I had spoken to one of AA’s executive service agents who mentioned that the requirements for Concierge Key change annually. So someone who gets it one year may not get it the next.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:31 pm

Benefits of Executive Platinum

#1 For those of us hitting exec plat. What's the point?
I notice many people purchase their business class seats, because majority of the time all the business class seats are sold out (especially flights going to Dallas or out of dallas to major cities). I only fly business because all Silicon Valley gigs have it as a perk for road warriors.

Question
If ExecPlatinum doesn't get you guarantees upgraded, this explains why I see many business flyers buying their business flights outright these days. Only perk I can think of is the '4 tokens wide upgrade' that you get at 100,000 miles when you go on vacations to europe. Any other reason to sticking with AA?

I wish there was an airline that only accommodated business class seats for frequent flyers like ourselves. Once you hit the highest tier of any airline (AA, Delta, United), you get upgraded to lets say "virgin" airline and they'd have 737 flights that only high tier flyers board from NY/SF/LAX to DFW all in business class (no economy class on board).

Last edited by jungly; Aug 4, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:42 pm

I wish there was an airline that only accommodated business class seats for frequent flyers like ourselves. Once you hit the highest tier of any airline (AA, Delta, United), you get upgraded to lets say "virgin" airline and they'd have 737 flights that only high tier flyers board from NY/SF/LAX to DFW all in business class (no economy class on board).
This specific idea literally is one of the most bizarre ever posted on FT.

That said, there are 100 threads on Exec Platinum and an equal amount on upgrades. Bottom line is that the upgrade % for everyone here is different based on routes flown, day/time of week and EQD. It's generally acknowledged that upgrade % for EXP has declined over the past few years, in part due a decline in # of first class cabin seats, and a decrease in paid first class fares to push more employers/individuals to purchase them.

You need to review the list of EXP benefits. If first class upgrades are the only perk you're interested in, and don't care about early boarding, extra checked bags, extra bonus miles, award ticket upgrade opportunities, eliminated fees on award tix, comp snack in coach, etc., then you may want to rethink your airline alliance strategy.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Quote from my dad (heard this for years as a kid): Wish in one hand and spit in the other. See which gets full first!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
never mind

Last edited by enviroian; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:31 pm Reason: 12.1--I had nothing constructive or positive to contribute so I deleted and continue to question my maturity
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:29 pm

I think you answered my question. It seems every company now offers business class flights as a perk. Especially those in road warrior IT consultant positions. This was unheard of ten years ago. And prices for business have dropped, Most flight to DFW are only $200 more to fly business than coach.

Last edited by jungly; Aug 4, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave_261
This specific idea literally is one of the most bizarre ever posted on FT..
The era of entitlement for frequent flyers ended some time ago.
Airlines are in the business of selling (good) seats for cash money.
Anyway airline frequent flyer loyalty programmes are now morphing into airline frequent spender programmes (for ever devaluing ff miles)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.