Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
As a BA Gold/Emerald (which is AA Exec Plat equiv I believe) traveling in Premium Economy on an AA international flight (AA ticket number) do I get to go on any upgrade list or do I/can I request an upgrade to J and if so how (or is it just automatic).

I looked on the domestic upgrade list for my flight from CLT -> DEN (which was in Y after a W transatlantic sector) and didn't see my name listed (there were 23 on the list!) so presume my chances of an upgrade are slim as am behind all the AA program members who can actually request an upgrade ?
You don't go on the upgrade list because it's only for AA elites. You can ask to be seated in MCE if it is available though.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
There is no upgrade benefit for Emeralds. Exec Plats get unlimited domestic upgrades. For international, AA Exec Plats need to use SWU or miles plus co-pay. As an emerald, you might luck out with an op-up in rare situations if the stars align just right.

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
As a BA Gold/Emerald (which is AA Exec Plat equiv I believe) traveling in Premium Economy on an AA international flight (AA ticket number) do I get to go on any upgrade list or do I/can I request an upgrade to J and if so how (or is it just automatic).

I looked on the domestic upgrade list for my flight from CLT -> DEN (which was in Y after a W transatlantic sector) and didn't see my name listed (there were 23 on the list!) so presume my chances of an upgrade are slim as am behind all the AA program members who can actually request an upgrade ?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Hi all -
I've read through a bit of this long thread but am still unsure of standby priority (?). This isn't an upgrade situation, but rather, I simply wanted to get home after a canceled flight and was added to a standby list

During the mess at ORD yesterday I was #1 on the standby list after my flight was canceled, the domestic connection on a TATL where my SWU cleared for the international leg (re ExPlt status). At the gate, I had dropped to #3 with two other passengers clearing before me. No idea if I was #1 pre/post those cleared passengers. Upgrade list keeps adding newly cleared passengers into the front of the plane. I asked the GA what's going on, that I was #1 on the list, two others cleared before me and that with the upgrades shown on the board that there should be an available seat in coach (seems right?). GA tells me not to pay any attention to the board but that if there is a seat, then he will call my name twice and if I don't answer then he'll move on down the list. GA also states that previously oversold passengers have priority for a seat before I do. So here's the question, is what the GA said accurate? I've tried to decipher some of the lists/etc throughout this thread but I didn't see a standby only priority list to determine where I should have been on the list, in front of or behind oversold passengers. In the end, I got a seat (30E on a 738 - do people actually pay for that seat?) but I'd like to be more informed going forward.

Cheers
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:35 pm

Is there any difference in priority or liklihood of clearing an upgrade whether checked in or not?

Example 1: EXP - Traveling ORD-LAX-HKG. First segment begins at 5pm. SWU is waitlisted on LAX-HKG. Eligible to check-in at 5pm the prior day to starting travel. Checks in at the 5pm mark.

Example 2: EXP - Traveling ORD-LAX-HKG. First segment begins at 5pm. SWU is waitlisted on LAX-HKG. Eligible to check-in at 5pm the prior day to starting travel. Checks in at 1pm the day of travel.

Is it better to withhold checking in and shoot for the automated upgrade by Sabre as in Example 2? Or Is it better to check-in, and have the upgrade transferred to the airport? Do either of these even matter?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm on a LAX-SFO flight later today and there are 41 names on the upgrade list.
Why? It's a 1hour so flight. Or is it a case of using up any upgrade vouchers before year's end or whatever AA use?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xenole
I'm on a LAX-SFO flight later today and there are 41 names on the upgrade list.
Why? It's a 1hour so flight. Or is it a case of using up any upgrade vouchers before year's end or whatever AA use?
It's under 500 miles, so every AA elite gets a free shot.
KBMIFlyer, Burj and xenole like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by skydve1
It's under 500 miles, so every AA elite gets a free shot.
Not only that, but the “system” automatically places all eligible passengers on the upgrade list on flights that are < 500 miles/require only 1 “sticker”.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:29 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Robt760
Not only that, but the “system” automatically places all eligible passengers on the upgrade list on flights that are < 500 miles/require only 1 “sticker”

Flights under 500 miles require 0 stickers. AA elites of all levels, Gold through EXP, are eligible for a complimentary upgrade. Of course, the pecking order remains the same.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sorry may have posted this in the wrong thread
12/09 DFW to LGA AA 1608
upgrade list 70.. I have never seen it that long.. no one cleared.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:17 pm

Is the standby list at the airport monitor different then what’s on the app? Showing #1 on the app but #7 on the airport screen. I’ve closed out the app refreshed and still showing the mismatch.

Maybe they are putting unassigned seats on the standby list now?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, JL JGC
I'm guessing this has already been mentioned before but I can't find it. What happens if I'm flying economy in a 3 cabin plane waitlisted for an upgrade and business is completely sold out while first has seats? If none of the business class passengers waitlisting for an upgrade, would nobody be upgraded?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rill2503456
I'm guessing this has already been mentioned before but I can't find it. What happens if I'm flying economy in a 3 cabin plane waitlisted for an upgrade and business is completely sold out while first has seats? If none of the business class passengers waitlisting for an upgrade, would nobody be upgraded?
Correct.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:12 am

Wrote in about some funky Standby List issues and revived this response from the agent -

it is our practice to board customers eligible for standby in the order they checked in for a flight, within the appropriate fare-based class of service and based on AAdvantage® elite status

she then called me and proceeded to tell me this was the correct order “amongst other things”. Based on everything I read here, this is incorrect and check in time has never been a criteria. Is that true?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Wrote in about some funky Standby List issues and revived this response from the agent -

it is our practice to board customers eligible for standby in the order they checked in for a flight, within the appropriate fare-based class of service and based on AAdvantage® elite status

she then called me and proceeded to tell me this was the correct order “amongst other things”. Based on everything I read here, this is incorrect and check in time has never been a criteria. Is that true?
Check-in time is used, but not for e500 nor SWU upgrades. It is used within grouped passengers for Standby (non-confirmed) ranking, and it is also used, in reverse order, for Involuntary Denied Boarding (the last person to check-in would be the first to get bumped, if there are no volunteers).
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by fastflyer
Check-in time is used, but not for e500 nor SWU upgrades. It is used within grouped passengers for Standby (non-confirmed) ranking, and it is also used, in reverse order, for Involuntary Denied Boarding (the last person to check-in would be the first to get bumped, if there are no volunteers).
interesting, I assumed it was EQD within status not check in time (I assume for the original flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.