Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle® are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld® itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm assuming that if the GA had to do an IVB she/he would have coughed up the voucher to the OP if he had refused to take the offer without the voucher.
NO, the GA could have IDBed the OP and owed him/her nothing. The only cost would be the IDB report to the DOT.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Extending the voucher for another year

I bought a changeable fare ticket, mostly paid using a voucher and partially with credit card.

The date of travel is in about 4 weeks, but I'd like to extend the travel funds by another year.

Can I just book another changeable fare for say March-2017, using the travel funds from current ticket?

And when I've finalized my travel plans, use these funds to buy a non-refundable ticket?

Any chance of something going wrong? As the voucher associated with my current ticket expired long time back. If this works, one can keep extending the ticket year after year, until travel plans finalize right?
Old May 1, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
What is the correct address to send paper vouchers to if the funds on the voucher are in Canadian Dollars and are to be used towards a oneway flight from the US to Canada, where the ticket is priced in Canadian Dollars?

The Wiki tells me to check the AA website, but I can't find any voucher address there.
I managed to redeem my OU voucher at the desk at YHZ (Halifax). Friendly staff, but it took a long time. I was glad I had arrived ridiculously early for my UA flight that day.

My AA booking was already in the system with a record locator, I just had to redeem the voucher and pay the rest. I don't think they have such a case often at YHZ. The agent seemed to have trouble with the computer system. She called some support line, and then she was on the phone for about half an hour, if not more.

Sometimes she was waiting on hold, sometimes she was passing through codes, dates, amounts, or explaining what happened on her screen. In one of the on-hold pauses I quaeritated as to the nature of the challenge. I was told that it "never works on our end", so "they" had to do it.

I'm glad she got it done for me. But I wonder why they don't provide electronic codes to redeem online. All this printing, mailing and redeeming business must cost a fortune. I can't fathom this to be less than the paper-induced non-redemption rate.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sokolov
I managed to redeem my OU voucher at the desk at YHZ (Halifax). Friendly staff, but it took a long time. I was glad I had arrived ridiculously early for my UA flight that day.

My AA booking was already in the system with a record locator, I just had to redeem the voucher and pay the rest. I don't think they have such a case often at YHZ. The agent seemed to have trouble with the computer system. She called some support line, and then she was on the phone for about half an hour, if not more.

Sometimes she was waiting on hold, sometimes she was passing through codes, dates, amounts, or explaining what happened on her screen. In one of the on-hold pauses I quaeritated as to the nature of the challenge. I was told that it "never works on our end", so "they" had to do it.

I'm glad she got it done for me. But I wonder why they don't provide electronic codes to redeem online. All this printing, mailing and redeeming business must cost a fortune. I can't fathom this to be less than the paper-induced non-redemption rate.
I've been told by AA in Dallas that instructions are online for the agents to follow. What I find is that many will refuse to process the vouchers or say they can't be done at the airport. There is no sense in trying to beat them into doing it and much better just to move on to someone willing to help.

AA does have support lines to work with the TAs (or AC AAngels) to get everything worked out. I suspect they have the same issues with staff that doesn't know how to do something and have to look it up.

Always wise to plan extra time, even if you know they can do it. Something can come up that will prevent them from being able to complete the transaction. I had an AC AAngel in ORD that was great doing these (after the first time) and it was easy to schedule a long layover when I had vouchers to be processes. Her workdays were the only issue.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:52 am

So you regularly booked extra long layovers at a specific airport, depending on an "angel"'s work schedule. That's OK with me. But don't let your SO know! ;->
Old May 3, 2016, 8:25 am

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with (I still believe) one of junior agents on the phone about the following issue:
I had a $500 paper voucher and bought a $100 ticket. Mailed it to Pensacola, FL. Haven't received any ticket confirmation once it was ticketed, but the fact is- AA issued a ticket for my flight. After two weeks of waiting for the voucher with $500-$100=$400 value to arrive I've decided to call AA. Their answer was interesting- yeah, we've issued ticket and no, we haven't mailed the voucher to you yet. And we'll probably do it once your trip will start.

I've never experienced anything like that in the past, and I don't think rules have changed since then. That's why the situation makes me to believe it's all about junior-ity of AA agent on the phone, who didn't want to dig into issue and just created such an interesting theory about voucher to be mailed to me only after I start my flight.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Tries
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with (I still believe) one of junior agents on the phone about the following issue:
I had a $500 paper voucher and bought a $100 ticket. Mailed it to Pensacola, FL. Haven't received any ticket confirmation once it was ticketed, but the fact is- AA issued a ticket for my flight. After two weeks of waiting for the voucher with $500-$100=$400 value to arrive I've decided to call AA. Their answer was interesting- yeah, we've issued ticket and no, we haven't mailed the voucher to you yet. And we'll probably do it once your trip will start.

I've never experienced anything like that in the past, and I don't think rules have changed since then. That's why the situation makes me to believe it's all about junior-ity of AA agent on the phone, who didn't want to dig into issue and just created such an interesting theory about voucher to be mailed to me only after I start my flight.
Another good example of the agent making something up to get you off the phone. A growing trend everywhere these days. The bean counters are trying to figure out how to measure support operations. The more calls you do, the better you must be doing your job. Yeah, sure... Support does not lend itself to such metrics. If you have a good product, the less support you need. But regardless the quality of product, have bad support and you lose.

Some of the biggest companies in the world are being ridiculed about the quality of their support and yet nothing changes. Back in my days in support, we actually surveyed the customers following calls and rewarded those agents for getting good marks. There is/was no way to determine if that effort kept someone buying from the company, but it was a safe conclusion.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Another good example of the agent making something up to get you off the phone. A growing trend everywhere these days. The bean counters are trying to figure out how to measure support operations. The more calls you do, the better you must be doing your job. Yeah, sure... Support does not lend itself to such metrics. If you have a good product, the less support you need. But regardless the quality of product, have bad support and you lose.

Some of the biggest companies in the world are being ridiculed about the quality of their support and yet nothing changes. Back in my days in support, we actually surveyed the customers following calls and rewarded those agents for getting good marks. There is/was no way to determine if that effort kept someone buying from the company, but it was a safe conclusion.
you get +1 from me, because here is how I finally got to talk to him: after 10 min on the line (ok, first time was not in his power), he responded - I only got a chance to tell him my AA number and then I heard his 'hold on just a sec' and -another 10 min of waiting on the line- for the 2nd time it's definitely up to him to put me on hold and probably go to get his coffee or have a smoke break.

Meanwhile - called them for the 2nd time. Now they're saying voucher should be mailed out 7 to 18 days after ticketing. Looking for a reason, not for a solution - not the best strategy too, but that's what it is.

Let's hope and pray it's a temporary problem and it's related to the merger.

Last edited by Tries; May 3, 2016 at 3:34 pm
Old May 11, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Horrible experience with mine.

Had a voucher for 233, and had a reservation on hold for 278. Called into EXP desk (never done this before), and agent was able to change my reservation from holding to pending, and it was agreed I would goto DEN the next day to give a ticket counter my voucher.

I arrived at the ticket counter about 50 minutes before my flight, and it took the ticket people almost a half hour to do something. After 20 minutes of fiddling with the system, which appears to be a 100% manual process typing every little detail into the system, I started getting anxious since I would have to still clear security and take the train to the A terminal and head to the end of it. I asked if they could just cancel what they were doing and I would try again later, and was told "hold on, almost got it, we're getting there" and five minutes after that, "We will need your credit card in just a second"

I was eventually charged at a ticket price of 298 (delta of $21 and some odd cents).

The base fare was exactly the same, but there was an extra $21 of taxes. I had to tweet AA, and they got back to me saying they found the current price at 268 (so $10 cheaper then what I had held), and was told I would get a refund for the difference. That was a week ago.

Complete pain to have to do this this way.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Horrible experience with mine.

Had a voucher for 233, and had a reservation on hold for 278. Called into EXP desk (never done this before), and agent was able to change my reservation from holding to pending, and it was agreed I would goto DEN the next day to give a ticket counter my voucher.

I arrived at the ticket counter about 50 minutes before my flight, and it took the ticket people almost a half hour to do something. After 20 minutes of fiddling with the system, which appears to be a 100% manual process typing every little detail into the system, I started getting anxious since I would have to still clear security and take the train to the A terminal and head to the end of it. I asked if they could just cancel what they were doing and I would try again later, and was told "hold on, almost got it, we're getting there, and five minutes after that, "We will need your credit card in just a second"

I was eventually charged at a ticket price of 298 (delta of $21 and some odd cents).

The base fare was exactly the same, but there was an extra $21 of taxes. I had to tweet AA, and they got back to me saying they found the current price at 268 (so $10 cheaper then what I had held), and was told I would get a refund for the difference. That was a week ago.

Complete pain to have to do this this way.
Sounds like you got a speed demon... 30 minutes to process is about the minimum I've run into. The TAs just don't do enough be be proficient at processing them. It's a learning curve just about every time.

As for the refund, those do take time for them to release to their bank and then can take several days once that's happened. I would say a followup is appropriate just in case they set it aside instead of processing.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Sounds like you got a speed demon... 30 minutes to process is about the minimum I've run into. The TAs just don't do enough be be proficient at processing them. It's a learning curve just about every time.

As for the refund, those do take time for them to release to their bank and then can take several days once that's happened. I would say a followup is appropriate just in case they set it aside instead of processing.
Thanks for the comments Roger, wasn't aware that was the norm. Would have budgeted more time if I had known.
Old May 11, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Just wanted to add my experience here:

1. Got an evoucher due to some major customer service issues in late 2015.
2. Used eVoucher to purchase one-way domestic flight for relative. Flight cancelled by AA and relative (who doesn't fly much on revenue fares - mostly on miles) hands me paper voucher.
3. Mailed in paper voucher for flight two months from now one day after calling in to set it up.
4. Ticketed within 8 days (3 days of when it arrived as per USPS tracking)

Overall, I was happy except that my eVoucher was tax-free and the paper voucher was not treated as such - loss of about $20 in value but oh well.
Old May 11, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Based on the above, I still believe that confirming things via the airport ticketing desk is the most expedient option (if you have the time/ability). I had no problem using a $700 voucher for two different tickets I put on hold via AA phone agents (I chose PHL desk since I was already onsite for other travel) and each time was able to get the residual vouchers upfront. Really saved the hassle.

Last edited by bakster21; May 11, 2016 at 10:35 am
Old May 14, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Anyone had any recent experience with getting the unused portion of the voucher refunded? I'd like to extend the life of a voucher one year, so I'm looking at buying a cheap ticket so I can get the rest refunded in the form of another voucher.
Old May 14, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Excess Value on a voucher

My GF gave me a AA voucher.. She got it from a flight which was forfeited (Delay caused her to fly back to Europe from Miami) I want to buy a ticket which is worth less than the voucher. Will they issue me the remainder or will they have to mail her the balance (Address is in Germany, so a bit of a hassle)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.