Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle® are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld® itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:08 pm

On renewing e-vouchers

Does anyone know what happens if you purchase a fully refundable ticket on AA e-vouchers?

Does anyone know how to renew AA e-vouchers?

<redacted>

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 6, 2017 at 1:15 am Reason: Removed discussion surrounding buying/selling/barter
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Canadian Taxes and Vouchers

I have a $500 USD voucher I am planning on using from Toronto to Las Vegas, does anyone know if any of the Canadian taxes should be reduced/exempt like most of the US taxes? Since my voucher is more than the base fare for the first ticket, one ticket should have most of the taxes waived and the other ticket should have taxes reduced, correct?

See below for the ITA matrix pricing of the taxes that I am looking at.
Code:
How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare for 2 adults
Fare 1: Carrier AA Q0AHZNN5 YTO to PHX (rules)
Passenger type ADT, one-way fare, booking code Q
Covers YYZ-ORD (Economy), ORD-PHX (Economy)
$77.68
Fare 2: Carrier AA QVAIZNM3 PHX to LAS (rules)
Covers PHX-LAS (Economy)
$68.22
Fare 3: Carrier AA QUAKZNN3 LAS to LAX (rules)
Covers LAS-LAX (Economy)
$39.49
Fare 4: Carrier AA QVAIZNN1 LAX to YTO (rules)
Covers LAX-CLT (Economy), CLT-YYZ (Economy)
$103.58
Canadian Goods and Services Tax (XG)
$14.90
US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$11.20
USDA APHIS Fee (XA)
$3.96
US Immigration Fee (XY)
$7.00
US Customs Fee (YC)
$5.50
Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)
$19.60
Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC)
$2.60
US International Arrival Tax (US)
$18.00
Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge (CA)
$9.50
US International Departure Tax (US)
$18.00
US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$3.00
Subtotal per passenger
$402.26
Number of passengers
x2
Subtotal For 2 adults
$804.52
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: spg gold
I have tried to redeem a reservation with a combination of travel voucher, gift cards and credit card and the csr told me I cannot use the combination of a travel voucher and a gift card. Does this seem correct?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I have tried to redeem a reservation with a combination of travel voucher, gift cards and credit card and the csr told me I cannot use the combination of a travel voucher and a gift card. Does this seem correct?
If it's not in the terms & conditions, I think it would be a breach of contract to deny the use of a gift card. AA sells gift cards under the premise that you can redeem them for travel, and if they deny you, they are failing to honor their promise/representation.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: spg gold
three CRS told me they could not use a gift card with a transportation voucher. This doesn't seem right. I went ahead and used the vouchers and not the gift cards, however I am still going to pursue this with the airline.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:22 am

I've ended up with a £111.70 AA voucher, however I'm UK based and will likely to be unable to use it by August 2018.

Would it be hypothetically possible to book 2xSFO to LAX tickets, one in my name and the other in someone else who would actually travel?

Currently, is there is still no way to use it on an AA codeshare flight in Europe?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I used three vouchers (two gift cards plus a sorry voucher from the LAX catering snafu), plus a credit card, to pay for a ticket early this morning. I now need to cancel and rebook. It's within 24 hours of ticketing, so no problem with the refund in theory, but what happens to the used vouchers? Are the numbers immediately available for reuse or do they eventually become available after the refund is processed?.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Stripe
I used three vouchers (two gift cards plus a sorry voucher from the LAX catering snafu), plus a credit card, to pay for a ticket early this morning. I now need to cancel and rebook. It's within 24 hours of ticketing, so no problem with the refund in theory, but what happens to the used vouchers? Are the numbers immediately available for reuse or do they eventually become available after the refund is processed?.
It needs to be reissued as a paper voucher. Count on approximately 2 weeks:

I cancelled a flight within 24 hours on 11/16, paid by credit card and voucher.
New voucher was generated on 11/22 (+4 business days)
Postmark on envelope is 11/30. (+9 business days)
Received on 12/2. (+11 business days)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I want to book a ARN-LHR-BOS-PHL-LHR ticket for March using $250 of AA paper transportation vouchers that I have.

All flights would be booked as AA codeshares operated by British Airways with the exception of the AA operated BOS-PHL flight.

From what I read in the Wiki/T&Cs this should be possible. Is this the case or is the agent I spoke to who said it wasn’t possible correct?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Schwann
I want to book a ARN-LHR-BOS-PHL-LHR ticket for March using $250 of AA paper transportation vouchers that I have.

All flights would be booked as AA codeshares operated by British Airways with the exception of the AA operated BOS-PHL flight.

From what I read in the Wiki/T&Cs this should be possible. Is this the case or is the agent I spoke to who said it wasn’t possible correct?
If you can book the flights on AA.com then you should be able to apply the transportation voucher as part payment. I would try the following:

1. Book the flights you want and put it on hold.
2. Call AA and ask them to apply the voucher as part payment with the rest by credit card.
3. Mail in the voucher to the address they give you.

Or is this what you've already tried to do?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfmad
If you can book the flights on AA.com then you should be able to apply the transportation voucher as part payment. I would try the following:

1. Book the flights you want and put it on hold.
2. Call AA and ask them to apply the voucher as part payment with the rest by credit card.
3. Mail in the voucher to the address they give you.

Or is this what you've already tried to do?
That would have been my first choice, but you can't hold an itinerary with non-AA flights on it. Anyway all sorted now... it was just a case of HUACA, the second agent was very helpful.

Just have to visit the ticket office at LHR T3 tomorrow and hand over the vouchers to complete ticketing!
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by slice
Was recently told by an AAgent that these are going all electronic "sometime next year"
I was told the same thing by an agent at BOS. Fingers crossed...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
How can I do "on-hold" tickets when buying tickets at aa.com

Hi,

AA gave us $300 each transportation voucher each and when I went to aa.com Denmark/Sweden site (ex-CPH) to try to purchase tickets there, there's no on-hold option and it goes straight to payment page. Does anyone know how I can do that online? The letter came with the voucher claims that I can call to purchase the tickets but I don't want to pay the fee for it (no status with AA).

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Are all flights AA marketed? Only all-AA itineraries can be put on hold.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Djokison
Are all flights AA marketed? Only all-AA itineraries can be put on hold.
Yes, they are all with AA flight numbers (operated by BA though), and I was at aa.com and tried to book the flights but then I have to pay - no choice to get the tickets on hold. There's no AA flights from CPH, so at least the first/last leg will have to be BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.