Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Award routing is subject to "MPM" of 25% - Maximum Permitted Miles, meaning you can only book an award routing that does not exceed available direct routing by 25%.

● The routing must also be a valid routing (published through fare) on the governing / longhaul carrier's routes.

● "Ticketed Point Deductions" on some routings may extend MPM.

● USA stopovers at port of entry or departure for awards have been eliminated (e.g. LHR-LAX <stop> ORD is no longer valid).
Print Wikipost

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
When did I say that LAX -> JFK -> HKG is not allowed? <redacted> I didn't.
aren't some fares mpm based?

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 13, 2012 at 3:39 am Reason: Editing quote to redacted thread
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
If it is close, you could add another leg on at no charge to increase the distance thereby increasing the 25% margin.

I.E.
SFO-JFK-HKG
MPM+25 for SFO-HKG is 10372
actual mileage is 10658

But if you do say SFO-JFK-HKG-DPS
your mpm+25 is 12902
and actual is 12794

so it would be allowed assuming it was a mileage based fare

Last edited by AZbba; Aug 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by AZbba
If it is close, you could add another leg on at no charge to increase the distance thereby increasing the 25% margin.

I.E.
SFO-JFK-HKG
MPM+25 for SFO-HKG is 10372
actual mileage is 10658

But if you do say SFO-JFK-HKG-DPS
your mpm+25 is 12902
and actual is 12794

so it would be allowed
I beliebe CMB may be the destination in Asia 2 with the highest MPM from North America, and the direct flight from HKG is usually available in J/Y.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I beliebe CMB may be the destination in Asia 2 with the highest MPM from North America, and the direct flight from HKG is usually available in J/Y.
So let me get this straight, as I was literally just thinking about this yesterday on our flight back from HNL (upgrade cleared! ):

I can use my AA miles to fly LAX-JFK//JFK-HKG-xxx(BKK?)-CMB on a one-way AA award, flying CX, for 67.5k OW in F?

I am booking tonight/tomorrow if this is the case! Someone please confirm.

Also, I'm assuming I'd be LAX-JFK Flagship F?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by aa213bb
So let me get this straight, as I was literally just thinking about this yesterday on our flight back from HNL (upgrade cleared! ):

I can use my AA miles to fly LAX-JFK//JFK-HKG-xxx(BKK?)-CMB on a one-way AA award, flying CX, for 67.5k OW in F?

I am booking tonight/tomorrow if this is the case! Someone please confirm.

Also, I'm assuming I'd be LAX-JFK Flagship F?

Yep, you can do that. You might not even need the onward segment from HKG if you don't want it. I'm not positive but I believe lax-jfk-hkg is an allowed routing.

If you live in LA, (or NY) you can also take advantage of the free stopovers.

I.E. I live in la, so I book my first trip lax-hkg-whatever-hkg-lax (stopover)-jfk.

Then my next trip I book. jfk-lax (stopover) -hkg-wherever-hkg-lax (stopover)-jfk.

and so on and so on.

And yes, you get the 3 class F with FL access.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most of the CX fares to CMB have routing rules that state LAX-HKG as the starting sector so I wouldnt be surprised if it may not be permitted
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:36 pm
Suspended

CX has a maximum permitted mileage published through fare that would allow the following in F:
LAX -> JFK (AA) -> HKG (CX) -> BKK (CX) -> CMB (CX)
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
CX has a maximum permitted mileage published through fare that would allow the following in F:
LAX -> JFK (AA) -> HKG (CX) -> BKK (CX) -> CMB (CX)
Thanks Austinrunner; and this allows me the opportunity of stopping in NYC, correct?

So I can know for the future, is there a good site/resource where I can look up published fares -- for CX and for airlines in general?

Thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Thanks Austinrunner; and this allows me the opportunity of stopping in NYC, correct?

So I can know for the future, is there a good site/resource where I can look up published fares -- for CX and for airlines in general?

Thanks!
You can certainly stop over in NYC, as it's your North American gateway. I am not aware of any free services that provide routing rules. ExpertFlyer and KVS Tool (the former has a free trial) are two pay services many FTers use.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
As pointed out, it ultimately wont be up to the ticketing agent, so don't take that as a final word. They can book pretty much anything, but it doesn't mean it will actually ticket.

It all comes down to when they ticket and yes they are very strict.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did i get away with exceeding award mpm?

The other day I ticketed hnl-lax(stopover)-pvg-hkg and it went through OK and got ticketed and then even changed and reticketed once.

Today after trying to book smth similar but in the other direction I was rejected as it exceeded hkg-hnl mpm +25% by a wide margin.

Did I get away with it on my previous award and if so is there any risk of aa charging me more after the fact? (with several people on that pnr it may get expensive and I would have planned things differently)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:09 pm

AA is known to be lenient on the MPM if you are flying AA metal on the long-haul. Your previously HNL-LAX-PVG-HKG was likely allowed because the long-haul LAX-PVG is operated by AA.

You didn't say what the routing or carrier for your return portion is, but if it is operated by a non-AA carrier such as CX, you can expect the MPM restriction to be more strictly enforced.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
There are two caveats about MPM on AAdvantage awards:

(1) They allow MPM+25%.
(2) They allow you to fly any published route, even if it's not MPM-based, so if MPM between SFO and NRT is 6000mi, but AA publishes a fare that allows travel from SFO to NRT via MIA (10000mi) that would be bookable as an AAdvantage award.

As for charging you more, that would be a violation of the DoT rules pertaining to post-ticketing increases in fare. Once you have an eTicket number, even if it was a mistake, you're safe.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - this is helpful!

Originally Posted by ckpeter
AA is known to be lenient on the MPM if you are flying AA metal on the long-haul. Your previously HNL-LAX-PVG-HKG was likely allowed because the long-haul LAX-PVG is operated by AA.

You didn't say what the routing or carrier for your return portion is, but if it is operated by a non-AA carrier such as CX, you can expect the MPM restriction to be more strictly enforced.
Yep, the other disallowed ticket was with CX on transpac.

Originally Posted by arcticbull
There are two caveats about MPM on AAdvantage awards:
(2) They allow you to fly any published route, even if it's not MPM-based, so if MPM between SFO and NRT is 6000mi, but AA publishes a fare that allows travel from SFO to NRT via MIA (10000mi) that would be bookable as an AAdvantage award.
Published route by AA or overwater operating carrier (eg CX)?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Thanks - this is helpful!

Yep, the other disallowed ticket was with CX on transpac.

Published route by AA or overwater operating carrier (eg CX)?
The requirement would be that you conform to the allowed routes in the published fare of the overwater carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.