Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Award routing is subject to "MPM" of 25% - Maximum Permitted Miles, meaning you can only book an award routing that does not exceed available direct routing by 25%.

● The routing must also be a valid routing (published through fare) on the governing / longhaul carrier's routes.

● "Ticketed Point Deductions" on some routings may extend MPM.

● USA stopovers at port of entry or departure for awards have been eliminated (e.g. LHR-LAX <stop> ORD is no longer valid).
Print Wikipost

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios, you should be able to get this routing for just 9,000 Avios: 4,500 per leg. And you can even stop over in Germany, if desired. Chase UR points, Amex MR points, and Starwood points can all be converted to BA Avios.
EXCELLENT advice!! ^^
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios, you should be able to get this routing for just 9,000 Avios: 4,500 per leg. And you can even stop over in Germany, if desired. Chase UR points, Amex MR points, and Starwood points can all be converted to BA Avios.
Great idea, and just did that. Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
Great idea, and just did that. Thanks!
For VIE-VCE I'd just take the train. I've done that route several times when I lived in ViE. It's about a 7 hr. ride, about the same end-to-end time as flying via TXL or DUS, without the flying hassles. You can usually find 2nd class for around 30 EUR and 1st for under 100 EUR. Taxes and fees on that award ticket are ~$60 alone.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Not sure if this thread is only supposed to be about MPM or routing in general, but here goes:

The transfers section of a fare rule isn't one I usually pay attention to, as I try to avoid connections as much as possible. However, I'm trying to understand these rules, with what I believe are the relevant highlighted sections below:

Code:
1 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
         1 PERMITTED IN EUROPE IN EACH DIRECTION.
   AND - 1 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
               1 PERMITTED VIA AA ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
              DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA AND BA IN EUROPE IN
              EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA AND IB IN EUROPE IN
              EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED VIA BA ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
              DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN BA AND IB IN EUROPE IN
              EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED VIA IB ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
              DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA AND AY IN EUROPE IN
              EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED VIA AY ONLY IN EUROPE IN EACH
              DIRECTION.
   AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION.
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB/US AND AS IN
              LAX/PDX/SEA IN EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB/US AND HA IN
              HAWAII IN EACH DIRECTION
               2 PERMITTED VIA AA/AY/BA/IB/US ONLY IN
              NORTH AMERICA IN EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA AND WS IN CANADA
              IN EACH DIRECTION
               1 PERMITTED BETWEEN AA/BA/IB/US AND AM IN
              MEXICO IN EACH DIRECTION.
I'm having a hard time reconciling the statement that only one transfer is allowed at the beginning with the fact that 2 are allowed further down. Does this mean that ORD-XXX-MAD-YYY would be a valid routing under these rules, where XXX is a NA gateway with an IB flight to MAD and YYY is a city served by IB?
Old May 8, 2024, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
MPM / Asia 2

Hello,

Struggling with the right terminology to discuss with AA.

Looking for an award flight from BKK to ORD and the only routing is via AMM. I see that there is no rule barring transiting via mid east

As for MPM, gcmap shows BKK/ORD at 8561, and BKK/AMM/ORD at 4255 + 6236=10491. Which is less than 10701.

When booked 1st agent had some trouble 2nd figured it out but said rate desk keeps pricing as 2 awards as follows. Miles redeemedRecipientDescription05-07-202440,000 U40PTI AP BUS M EAST - ASIA Z205-07-202470,000 U70PUT - AP BUS 48US/CA T/F M EAST

Any ideas?
Old May 8, 2024, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nismo240ssx
Struggling with the right terminology to discuss with AA.

Looking for an award flight from BKK to ORD and the only routing is via AMM. I see that there is no rule barring transiting via mid east

As for MPM, gcmap shows BKK/ORD at 8561, and BKK/AMM/ORD at 4255 + 6236=10491. Which is less than 10701.

When booked 1st agent had some trouble 2nd figured it out but said rate desk keeps pricing as 2 awards as follows. Miles redeemedRecipientDescription05-07-202440,000 U40PTI AP BUS M EAST - ASIA Z205-07-202470,000 U70PUT - AP BUS 48US/CA T/F M EAST
Even if the fare rules or MPM allow it, AAdvantage rules do not allow an Asia 2 <> North America award to connect in the Middle East.

In order to be priced as a single award, you must fly via the pacific, a connection in Asia 1 or Asia 2 is ok.
Old May 8, 2024, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Even if the fare rules or MPM allow it, AAdvantage rules do not allow an Asia 2 <> North America award to connect in the Middle East.

In order to be priced as a single award, you must fly via the pacific, a connection in Asia 1 or Asia 2 is ok.
Thank you that makes more sense. Do DOH & AUH have special carve-outs? I've routed for 70k miles via both to Asia 1 or India sub areas from the US
Old May 9, 2024, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Going via the middle east for Indian Sub continent is ok
Going US - Asia 1 or 2 via Middle East is not permitted as a single award

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.