Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LHR ... United has nothing to worry about

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life

I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this, I could not find one using the search function.

Flying First class from LHR to SFO via DFW and the experience so far has been very disappointing. Checkin process was just OK and the First Class lounge is actually depressing. Dark, low ceilings, poor selection of food. Wow.

I am a United Global services customer and wanted to see what I might be missing out on ... turns out, not much

Hope other's experiences are better.
-Stan
Old May 21, 2024, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by small ring
I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this, I could not find one using the search function.

Flying First class from LHR to SFO via DFW and the experience so far has been very disappointing. Checkin process was just OK and the First Class lounge is actually depressing. Dark, low ceilings, poor selection of food. Wow.

I am a United Global services customer and wanted to see what I might be missing out on ... turns out, not much

-Stan
You really should be in the Cathay Pacific lounge not the AA lounge.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:16 am

There are many lounges to pick from aa first is not the best, I like ba first because it is almost always empty, lighting is good, not sure on check in I fly about once a month but never have bags, the fast last security is usually very quick, if you fly ba equipment you get to use the first wing and concord room, United is actually my least favorite but to be fair that is mostly because the flight either cancels or is very late, delta has the benefit of the Virgin check in counters which are well staffed, the Virgin security lane and the Virgin clubhouse but in the end as one who flies them all rather a lot I think it is all about your experience any given day and the equipment
jonkx likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Our experiences are much better as we all know not to bother with the AA lounges at LHR and rather use the much better options from CX, QF, or even BA.

The LHR T3 lounge options for premium AA/oneworld flyers are pretty dang good in fact, some of the best in the world for an international outststion.

Wish you had asked here first rather than complaining after the fact, we could have steered you in the right direction.
dvs7310, S80, etiene and 12 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not sure what one expects from a check in process , beyond getting checked in

As far as lounge goes, it shouldn't require someone to have to ask on social media what lounge to use, in order to get to a decent lounge

Isn't one issue with UA competition, that UA doesn't offer 1st class anyway - admittedly AA is phasing it out soon though
aaupgrade, PLeblond and etiene like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:38 am
Formerly known as tireman77

So... Flying on AA out of LHR is fine unless you use the AA lounge. Most comments suggest OP should have wondered in advance, when trying out AA as a comparison to UA: "Hmmmm...should I use the AA lounge or is there a hack for better lounge access with other carriers lounge to enhance the enjoyment of my AA flight?"

I reminded of ‘Double Secret Probation’

Can I vote this as the most “Flyertalk-ish” thread of the year?
small ring, dvs7310, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not my vote.

isnt it why most of us are on Flyertalk?

Being told to save the impossible to find fare rules and copying them is quite a bit more double secret probation.

OP has 150 posts. It was reasonable to suggest checking here, the what lounge to use threads are very accessible.

Last edited by beachfan; May 21, 2024 at 10:21 am
Old May 21, 2024, 10:06 am

I agree with others that the CX lounge is far superior and really any OW lounge is better than the AA lounge at LHR. On the other hand, AA should not operate a first class lounge if it's pathetic compared to its partner airlines. Really the only advantage of having an AA first lounge for AA elites is that less experienced AA flyers will use it leaving the others less crowded, which seems...not great.
DaxOmni, hhdl and IslandGuy32 like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
There's more value in using dollar bills in your fireplace than spending money on AA F. Underwhelming is a putting it nicely.

That said, I prefer AA J to UA J. Even the Super Diamond seats are more comfy than the Polaris ones.
asnovici and hhdl like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL

-Stan
I extend you my condolences, I was not expecting you would get a sympathetic shoulder to cry on here and you did not. But, everyone who reads this board, it is logical to go to the FC lounge of the airline you are flying. OP did this most logical thing that all of us would have done in his place. And we all would have been equally underwhelmed at AA's remnant FC service.

If you do this again, you have better lounge choices. And you know the UA lounge is not half bad. (Quickly, don the fire retardant suit of armor!)
small ring, hhdl and PLeblond like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:00 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

-Stan
Before you write off AA too fast...

A better way to compare would actually purchase 5 star select service, as that will be GS equivalent soft service on AA, as if you were a CK member. You would have someone guide you along the entire way with a golf cart/tarmac transfer to the plane and someone that boards with you. They will also watch over your trip with IRROPs protection from the background. That way you can compare GS to AA's experience at the top elite level.

As for lounges, as other posters mentioned, you just need to know the hacks. Akin to an airport with only United Club Lounges and no Polaris lounges on offer; of course the experience is abit different at each airport. If you were to go to JFK with Chelsea lounge and had the option of Cristal, LPGS, and even Dom; I think the alcohol offerings would blow any Polaris lounge without the Polaris Lounge crowd factor.. For LHR, most prefer other One World carrier's F lounges over AA's lounge; as those lounges are superior: just a nuance of being on One World alliance.

If you are on AA, stick with DFW, JFK, MIA as these offer the best premium experiences (just note, Flagship dinning opening hours). For getting to SFO, I would recommend LHR to JFK, and take the transcon to SFO. That will get you the best AA experience; and even better experience if you add five star select as you'll get better treatment than most CKs. If you prefer longer sleep, then take LHR-LAX-SFO. You have Quantas F lounge at LAX or can use PS services.
small ring and OrangeRange like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA EP; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
There's more value in using dollar bills in your fireplace than spending money on AA F. Underwhelming is a putting it nicely.

That said, I prefer AA J to UA J. Even the Super Diamond seats are more comfy than the Polaris ones.
I don't agree with that - it depends on the route. For the domestic transcons from JFK I think F is significantly better than J b/c you have both direct aisle and window access (vs the 2-2 configuration for J) and get access to the nicer Chelsea lounge which will have at least one premium champagne on pour (Krug, Kristal, Dom, etc.) and better made-to-order dining. Given the price difference when I've often checked is often <$300-400, imo it's well worth it. Now for a $1k+ premium probably not.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by uanj
But, everyone who reads this board, it is logical to go to the FC lounge of the airline you are flying. OP did this most logical thing that all of us would have done in his place.
I get what you're saying but the OP is evidently a UA GS, 3MM, and has been on FT for over 18 years, so presumably this isn't their first rodeo. No different on UA at LHR or FRA etc. where you have choices between UA, LH, AC, SQ, and so on each with pros and cons. It's the reason all of these forums have lounge access threads with hundreds of pages dedicated to "which lounge is best". We get that question on a daily basis here.

It's too bad because if the OP had spent the same amount of time asking here in the newbie or lounge access thread as they did starting this thread to complain we could have helped.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not sure what one expects from a check in process , beyond getting checked in

As far as lounge goes, it shouldn't require someone to have to ask on social media what lounge to use, in order to get to a decent lounge

Isn't one issue with UA competition, that UA doesn't offer 1st class anyway - admittedly AA is phasing it out soon though
I would agree in general. That said, for LHR, the best check-in experience (and, IMO, one of the best in the world) is T5 check-in for premium cabin/OWE status. It's not very busy, it is a personal experience and there is champagne right after one exits security (directly into the lounge).

Yes, I am an AA flyer but if you fly a lot internationally, you have to redefine your "loyalty" to the alliance and evaluate how to get from a-to-b as, in my case, a OneWorld flyer to truly maximize the benefits of loyalty. Mixing and matching, lounge and flight and, yes, even check-in are all needed to maxing one's benefit.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

When I checked in at T3 Flagship First counter in March I was told by the agent that checked me in the list of lounges that I could access. She specifically said that Cathy 1st was very nice and encouraged me to try them all if I had time ( which I did ). I'm not sure if I was just lucky but at least in my case I was directed to all the lounges
small ring likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.