Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Status expires after check-in but before bag drop and departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 12:44 pm
Formerly doc4science
Original Poster

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

I've been enrolled in an AA status challenge and will be loosing status in the near future. I have a flight booked where the date of departure is the day after I lose status. As a result, when I complete online checkin I will have status, but when I arrive at the airport to drop bags I will not.

Will I be charged at the airport for my bag?

Thanks!
Old May 10, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Fly2Connect
I've been enrolled in an AA status challenge and will be loosing status in the near future. I have a flight booked where the date of departure is the day after I lose status. As a result, when I complete online checkin I will have status, but when I arrive at the airport to drop bags I will not.

Will I be charged at the airport for my bag?

Thanks!
Probably not. I had this exact same situation a few years ago when AA gave me status for no particular reason which just happened to expire the day before my trip. I was not charged for bags on the way out (and they were tagged priority) but was charged on the way back 5 days later. My (free) MCE seat assignments stuck for both ways.
Fly2Connect likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Interesting, I thought AA would grandfather you in if you had elite status at the time of booking.
Old May 10, 2024, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
You should not.
At least for bags AA explicitly says no on this page (search "Free checked bags"): https://www.aa.com/web/i18n/aadvanta...-statuses.html
The number of free checked bags depends on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in. If your status level is:
Higher at ticketing than at check-in, show your ticket receipt to the airport agent Lower at ticketing than at check-in, current benefits will automatically apply
As an aside, the redesigned AAdvantage web pages are just horrendous. Massive font sizes and so much whitespace. So hard to find anything and painful to read.
FAA1996 and Fly2Connect like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.