Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Which F to Choose: WAS-JFK-LHR or WAS-DFW-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which F to Choose: WAS-JFK-LHR or WAS-DFW-LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Keep in mind that you probably wont actually have access to the CCR as you arent flying first on BA equipment
Absolutely untrue. AA F passengers have access to the CCR.

I would fly through DFW. The JFK-LHR flight is way too short to get any decent sleep, contributing to jet lag (IMHO, of course).
Old May 10, 2024, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Blumie

I would fly through DFW. The JFK-LHR flight is way too short to get any decent sleep, contributing to jet lag (IMHO, of course).
The Concorde Room at London Heathrow Terminal 5 is available for passengers who are:
  • Flying on a scheduled British Airways flight in First.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:36 am

I was able to access the CCR flying on AA F in 2022, no questions asked.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP

There is a thread out there discussing this; AA F passengers not flying on BA mainline F product (as codeshare or on BA ticket) have not had access to CCR for over a year. I dealt with this personally last May. Once in a blue moon someone would slip in at that time but since quite a while back no one has been able to. The signage at least fairly recently said that AA F was allowed in, but the policy did not. there was a time closer to peak COVID where a terminal was shared between AA and BA at LHR when AA F absolutely did have access to CCR, but those days are long gone.

There is reciprocity with the Chelsea lounge at JFK between BA and AA, but not at CCR at LHR.
Old May 10, 2024, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MarkY123
Policy changed once AA moved back to t3, I tried just the other day and wasnt allowed in until my wife who is gold joined me, you can go to the mini concord lounge in t3 if you are on AA equipment
Old May 10, 2024, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Concorde Room at London Heathrow Terminal 5 is available for passengers who are:
  • Flying on a scheduled British Airways flight in First.
My success rate has been 100%.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:08 am

My success rate has been 100%.
you have BA gld by your name, that would get you in as would CK on AA, or if you booked aa but thru ba and had a ba flight number
Old May 10, 2024, 9:12 am

Policy changed once AA moved back to t3, I tried just the other day and wasnt allowed in until my wife who is gold joined me, you can go to the mini concord lounge in t3 if you are on AA equipment
Right, AA was flying to T5 at the time.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you have BA gld by your name, that would get you in as would CK on AA, or if you booked aa but thru ba and had a ba flight number
Right, AA was flying to T5 at the time.
Ive fallen back to Silver. And I have done this several times when flying into T3 (its been quite some time since AA used T5) and transferring to T5 for a BA connection in J. It must be my good looks.

All of that said, while Im happy to have CCR access when I can, I have never found it that big of a deal. I know we all like to feel more important than we are, but the F lounge, even though it can sometimes get crowded, has always been fine.
MarkY123 and Andy0805 like this.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
OP, hopefully you aren't paying a premium to fly AA F.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A summer 1:50 DFW connection - no way, unless that was the only option. The chance of something going awry in the skies causing a misconnect is not insubstantial, whether a WAS or DFW thunderstorm issue.

And a short LHR connection could hose you, too.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
OP, hopefully you aren't paying a premium to fly AA F.
On some days this Summer, the premium for flying F over J DCA-LHR is just 10,000 AAdvantage miles.
ezefllying likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 10:05 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Another vote for DCA-JFK-LHR.

I would recommend just eating at the Chelsea Lounge and make sure you ask them about the champagne of the week (Cristal, LPGS, or Dom). Sleep on the flight and skip the meal service.

Your second option doesn't give you much time to transfer between T3 to T5 since BA LHR-GVA leaves from terminal 5. There isn't much room for error, and LHR is not a fast nor flexible place to allow tight transfers.

If you have the option to book award flight DFW-LHR +/- GVA on BA F metal, then that would make the most sense since you will arrive at terminal 5. If you need to position yourself to DFW on a cash fare, might be worth it, since BA F is much better than AA F to LHR.
Old May 10, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by HaleiwaFlyer
If you have the option to book award flight DFW-LHR +/- GVA on BA F metal, then that would make the most sense since you will arrive at terminal 5. If you need to position yourself to DFW on a cash fare, might be worth it, since BA F is much better than AA F to LHR.
Very large cash co-pay (carrier surcharge) when redeeming AA miles to fly BA U.S.-Europe.
ezefllying likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe AA was flying from T5 at that point in the later stages of the pandemic, and it was the policy, especially for departing AA F flights.
Once they moved, and access became about inbound F, it became much more YMMV. I was denied in March 2023 on JFK-LHR-ZRH on BA-marketed FC ticket (but AA-operated on the first leg). Data points are mixed, though IIRC more recent ones were more favorable.
MarkY123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.