Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Outbound canceled by AA. Keep return flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2024, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

My outbound flight was canceled by AA. I was re-booked to get in 36 hours later via an overnight connection so I booked my own new flight on a different airline. I'd like to keep my return flight on AA as already booked. Is it possible to cancel/get refunded for the outbound while keeping my return flight? I'm on a plane now and can't call. I tried doing it via chat. The agent said he couldn't cancel the outbound because it was already under airport control but my return would still be intact even if I missed the re-booked outbound flight, which goes against everything I've been told. Anyone have experience with this?
Old May 9, 2024, 9:38 am

I recently experienced a similar situation. I called AA and asked them to delete the first flight from my itinerary so I could rent a car and drive it instead, but leaving the rest of my itinerary intact. They made the change with no issues and I was able to fly the rest of the ticket without problems. I did not ask for or receive any credit for the deleted segment since it was just a short feeder flight to DFW, but probably could have gotten a small amount had I pressed the issue.
iceman77_7 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just call when you can, it should be okay, and if not they should be able to fix it. I don't know if there's some flag that inhibits any auto-cancellation on a PNR impacted by IRROPS, but it should work out and you can get a refund for the canceled segment.
iceman77_7 likes this.
Old May 9, 2024, 1:39 pm

Can't you call AA to book you on the flight that you booked on OAL?
Old May 9, 2024, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Can't you call AA to book you on the flight that you booked on OAL?
AA said they wouldn't push me to another carrier because it was a weather related cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.