Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No AA NYC-ATL non-stops!!??

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2024, 8:05 am

I think the train wreck which is AA at NYC is exemplified by the six! flights a day they offer between between LGA and PHL. Reeeaaalllyyyy, they can't find a better use for those slots? And all twelve flights for tomorrow are showing 7 across the board in coach, and C1 or greater. So they would rather fly largely empty planes back and forth between LGA and PHL than make money.
dw, Spiff, deeruck and 4 others like this.
Old May 6, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: Costco Gold Star, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by fotographer
living in ATL and having to make international connections at JFK, has become a real pain in the back side,
having to go thru the bus terminal that is Charlotte, is well not a great option,
and yes ,I know dont fly out of JFK, but sometimes that is were the best deals can be had.
This.

I can understand the business perspective behind it, but it has long been a pet peeve of mine that AA didn't do ATL-JFK back when I took AY a lot. It meant a shuffle to LGA or taking a separate ticket on DL for me. Before B6 took over the route, I saw fares as low as $178 o/w in F.
fotographer likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 10:38 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by OrangeRange
Regardless, AA's frequencies out of LGA vs. DL are just...pathetic. I just changed to DL for a flight to Nashville. AA would have me leaving at either the crack of dawn or sunset with no direct offerings in-between.
Sadly, this describes the state of much of AAs western US operation out of LAX as well, compared to DL.

Some people say its a temporary reduction for a few years due to the ongoing T4 renovation at LAX, but looking at AAs history in the NYC market (another market where they are unable to compete against DL and UA), I am not holding out hope that they will be restoring the presence they used to have at LAX.
hhdl and OrangeRange like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
JetBlue is ending its LGA to ATL service as of October 2024 as it hands back slots to American Airlines. If American Airlines doesn't add back LGA to ATL as a result, it would mean they really don't intend to offer a full suite of destinations out of NYC.
Spiff, Mr. BoH and OrangeRange like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Adelphos
JetBlue is ending its LGA to ATL service as of October 2024 as it hands back slots to American Airlines. If American Airlines doesn't add back LGA to ATL as a result, it would mean they really don't intend to offer a full suite of destinations out of NYC.
lol upcoming: 10x day LGA-PHL with maybe a bump in BOS and DCA frequencies
dw, Spiff and hhdl like this.
Old May 8, 2024, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Adelphos
No it doesn't - It would just mean that it doesn't intend to compete on the ATL route - assumedly it will use the slots for something
Old May 8, 2024, 2:44 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
lol upcoming: 10x day LGA-PHL with maybe a bump in BOS and DCA frequencies
Do the current NYC slot waivers include LGA? If so, I would fully expect for AA to take advantage of that.
Old May 8, 2024, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by dw
Do the current NYC slot waivers include LGA? If so, I would fully expect for AA to take advantage of that.
Good point. Looks like both the slot waivers end and Jetblue's cuts start Oct 27 - start of the winter season. So I guess AA has to start using them if the waiver isn't extended. Is all of this even related though? We talk about the NEA swaps but idk if we know what the terms are. Presumably JetBlue could make their LGA adjustments sooner?
dw likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by dw
Sadly, this describes the state of much of AAs western US operation out of LAX as well, compared to DL.

Some people say its a temporary reduction for a few years due to the ongoing T4 renovation at LAX, but looking at AAs history in the NYC market (another market where they are unable to compete against DL and UA), I am not holding out hope that they will be restoring the presence they used to have at LAX.
They will and are. AAs gate holdings at LAX are 30% larger than Delta. AA is largely flying people from LA while Delta is doing the opposite, its gets people to LA. Delta hasnt been doing well at LAX lately and is making major cutbacks.
Old May 9, 2024, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
OP's complaints have been listened to....

JetBlue Cancels Five Routes From LaGuardia Airport As It Has to Return Gates to American

Routes Being Cut Altogether

• Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) (currently operated 2x to 4x daily; ends on October 26th). The route is also flown nonstop by Delta Air Lines, Frontier, Southwest Airlines, and Spirit Airlines. Delta dominates with up to 14x daily flights.
American Airlines has not announced that it will pick up any of these routes or add frequencies to Boston. We’ll have to wait and see what it does with the returned slots.
Old May 9, 2024, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by LAXJFKesq
I respectfully disagree. As a CK Member, I get access into the lounge at JFK. Best US airport lounge imo. None of the AMEX lounges come close. A premium experience Delta cannot match. As for connecting, I agree; but I want to avoid CLT at all costs. When traveling to our Atlanta office, I am not willing to fly to ORD or MIA to get to ATL (again avoiding CLT).
How about DFW? If you're not willing to connect at all, then take a non-stop flight on Delta.

Premium lounges are great, and so are non-stop flights. In this case, you'll have to choose one of them.

I've flown in First Class on Delta. The service is quite good.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:26 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
How about DFW? If you're not willing to connect at all, then take a non-stop flight on Delta.

Premium lounges are great, and so are non-stop flights. In this case, you'll have to choose one of them.

I've flown in First Class on Delta. The service is quite good.
Exactly in this instance, the only option is on DL. For me, lounges are generally 5-40 minute stopovers, and the SkyClub plus Comfort or F far outweighs a connection just to fly on AA. This is one of the reasons why I maintain DL Plat or Diamond as sometimes they offer flights that logically make more sense then flying on AA (particularly from BOS, which is a hub).

Totally agree that AAs NY strategy isnt great (there is a whole thread dedicated to that), but they seem to hit a decent number of cities (at least ones that I would visit for work).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.