Wiki Posts
Search

New Carry On w/ Animal policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
New Carry On w/ Animal policy

This is going to be a pain, I can already see it. The overhead bins get full as it is. Now those that had to check their large carry on due to having a pet or ESA or SA with them are going to be able to bring it with them. I’ve traveled with a pet, bringing puppy home, no way would I want to deal with a large roller and a pet carrier. I dislike hauling my suitcase as it is thru the airport, but have to if I’m traveling standby, which when they have called for people to gate check I have gotten in line and told them “if I’m definitely getting on, you can have it” with a smile and laugh. I’m one that always checks my bags even if I’m in F and Group 1, check that baby!
With this new policy, get ready to find overhead bins filling up faster and to get bumped by their roller and/or pet carrier as they board.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...QX9Q0zdicERrx8
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:04 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by DASRTR
This is going to be a pain, I can already see it. The overhead bins get full as it is. Now those that had to check their large carry on due to having a pet or ESA or SA with them are going to be able to bring it with them. I’ve traveled with a pet, bringing puppy home, no way would I want to deal with a large roller and a pet carrier. I dislike hauling my suitcase as it is thru the airport, but have to if I’m traveling standby, which when they have called for people to gate check I have gotten in line and told them “if I’m definitely getting on, you can have it” with a smile and laugh. I’m one that always checks my bags even if I’m in F and Group 1, check that baby!
With this new policy, get ready to find overhead bins filling up faster and to get bumped by their roller and/or pet carrier as they board.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national...QX9Q0zdicERrx8
I predict the effect of this will be so minimal as to not be noticeable.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:03 am

No real effect that I can see.

For the odd flight when someone insists on bringing Fluffy along, maybe a few minutes of delay why they now shlep a rolling bag along with their animal that doesn’t want to be there too.
ksucats likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
DL allows a max of 2 pets in F and 4 pets in Y (for domestic flights), I assume AA has a similar rule.
Even if you had the 6 little ones on board, I doubt that 6 carry ons more will make much of an impact.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by carlosdca
DL allows a max of 2 pets in F and 4 pets in Y (for domestic flights), I assume AA has a similar rule.
Even if you had the 6 little ones on board, I doubt that 6 carry ons more will make much of an impact.
Yeah and I can't think of how often there is actually 1 pet on my flight. Seems like less than 10% of them. This won't create any issues.
Hoi polloi likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:36 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
from the article:
"Leff said he thinks American's change will reduce the urge for travelers to falsely claim that their pet is a service animal that flies for free."

Unless something changed, I thought emotional support animals are no longer allowed after some of the ridiculous animals people brought on (miniature horse, peacocks, etc).

And you
can't just 'claim' your pet is a service animal without proper paperwork. These very specially trained animals and they do not require a carrier. The only on board pet allowed other than a service animal is a carry on pet which must remain in a carrier and be able to fit under the seat. That really limits the number of pets that can come aboard. So no, I don't see this as much of an impact at all.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...tance/pets.jsp

On flights with American you can bring one pet carrier as a carry-on if:
  • You pay the carry-on pet fee
  • Your pet stays in the pet carrier and under the seat in front of you the entire flight
You can bring only one additional item on board with your pet:
  • A personal item like a purse or small handbag; or
  • A carry-on bag that meets requirements and fits in the overhead bin
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
from the article:

And you can't just 'claim' your pet is a service animal without proper paperwork. These very specially trained animals and they do not require a carrier.
While I don't see this as an issue it isn't hard to get the paperwork or put on a service animal harness. I have seen many animals called 'service" that were not trained or behaved. I love dogs but I don't like to see this abused which it is. Last flight DFW/BZE I'm in 1B and older lady came on who had a "service dog." The dog, a Malinois mix, was reasonably behaved but when she had to use the rest room it wouldn't sit and stay and jumped in the seat. She asked me to hold its leash which wasn't a big deal and it had issues staying in front of her. I have serious doubts as to what the dogs service was but again it didn't really bother me, but I could see how it might be an issue for some.

What the airlines should do is have a legit verification process to weed out all the abusers. It will happen when it gets excessive, which it isn't currently. Kinda of like the SWA Miricle cure issues.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lonedaddy
While I don't see this as an issue it isn't hard to get the paperwork or put on a service animal harness
A service animal harness is meaningless. You can have a service animal with no harness/vest and what matters is the paperwork, not the harness or vest.

In any case, the article has nothing to do with service animals or ESAs.

This is about allowed dogs in cabin. This has always been allowed for a fee (currently $150). The dog does not need to be a service dog, just a small dog that fits in the carrier and under the seat for the whole flight.
The kennel/carrier used to count as the carry-on item, now it won't. That's the change.

[As far as how this will affect people faking paperwork for their pets, I think the impact will be none. People that fake paperwork for a dog is because either the dog is too big to be a carry-on pet, OR the dog is small but they don't want to pay the $150 fee. The $150 fee is still there, being allowed to bring a carry-on in addition to the carrier won't be an incentive at all, they just want Fido to fly for free]
CMTinPHL likes this.

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 3, 2024 at 12:44 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 2:58 pm

pets

American has a limit on how many pet carriers it allows in the cabin.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
This is probably related to AA now having the highest carry on pet fee ($150) in the industry. No one matched their increase from $125 to $150 a month ago, unlike the checked bag fee increases that were matched. Delta is still at $100.
AA doesn't want to walk back the fee, so they are now offering a "free" carry-on bag as a sweetener. I don’t think anyone will be swayed.

I would not be surprised if they have seen a revenue decline, maybe not only in fewer pets but fewer travelers who often travel on premium cabins with pets. I travel with a pet occasionally and I will probably look to avoid AA now. That was actually one of several changes that has pushed me away from AA this year.

The only unique advantage AA has over the competition is with the A321T transcons which permit a pet in F/J. UA/DL do not permit pets on any flatbed aircraft. And that advantage will erode when the A321Ts are replaced (eventually.)
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
The only unique advantage AA has over the competition is with the A321T transcons which permit a pet in F/J
Really? You were able to bring your pet on A321T F/J?

I always assumed they wouldn't as they are lie-flats and they just missed to put the correct information on the website.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Really? You were able to bring your pet on A321T F/J?

I always assumed they wouldn't as they are lie-flats and they just missed to put the correct information on the website.
The website is actually correct
In the "Kennel guidelines for carry-on pets" section there's a blurb about A321T F/J
carlosdca likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:35 pm

There is a special compartment in F on the 321T for a pet in the carrier.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have to pay $150 to fly with my cat and OP is complaining that I’m now allowed a carry-on?
wrp96, ksucats and Hoi polloi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.