Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decline of Admirals clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jagoffee
IMO the Admiral’s clubs are not going downhill. I would say they have improved. My experience is mostly with ORD, DFW, and MIA.
I would agree that ORD and DFW ACs are at least halfway decent. But you clearly have not been to an AC in PHL or CLT. Travesties.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
C’mon…. CLs are much better - which is why they are more crowded. Much more crowded. If that is your criteria, fine. But CLs are better than ACs in all other ways.
My last few CL experiences have ranged from a group of drunken college kids pounding beers on spring break, multiple groups of parents letting their toddlers run around the club screaming while ensconced with their phones, and then there were these two corporate pilots stuffing themselves while loudly discussing pocketing their per diems. This is not to mention the effort to even find a seat or in the line in DEN.

While the mystery chicken thigh meat buffet might meet your definition of better, I'll pass.

The ACs I visit are less crowded and quieter, and can afford to pay for a drink.
cjglick likes this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Mar 26, 2024 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
My last few CL experiences have ranged from a group of drunken college kids pounding beers on spring break, multiple groups of parents letting their toddlers run around the club screaming, and then there were these two corporate pilots stuffing themselves while loudly discussing pocketing their per diems. This is not to mention the effort to even find a seat or in the line in DEN.

While the mystery chicken thigh meat buffet might meet you definition of better, I'll pass.
Our experiences differ for the most part. I will agree with toddlers being a pain. Never seen drunken college students pounding beer… over intoxicated adults, yes. I rarely eat in the CLs, but would take a CL buffet over the AC buffet any day of the week.
chrisny2 and Antarius like this.

Last edited by CMTinPHL; Mar 26, 2024 at 7:03 pm Reason: Corrected spelling…
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:52 pm

My last few CL experiences have ranged from a group of drunken college kids pounding beers on spring break, multiple groups of parents letting their toddlers run around the club screaming while ensconced with their phones, and then there were these two corporate pilots stuffing themselves while loudly discussing pocketing their per diems. This is not to mention the effort to even find a seat or in the line in DEN.

While the mystery chicken thigh meat buffet might meet your definition of better, I'll pass.
And as a follow up, the new DEN AC is very nice compared to older ACs. Try an AC in PHL or CLT, and you’d gladly crowd into the CL in either.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:57 pm

I rarely eat in the CLs, but would take a CL buffet over the AC buffet any day of the week.
As a rule, I don’t eat buffet food.

They could fix the CLs easily, make them member only or member and spouse, and kick out all the authorized users
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:03 pm

And as a follow up, the new DEN AC is very nice compared to older ACs. Try an AC in PHL or CLT, and you’d gladly crowd into the CL in either.
Agree about CLT x1000. Thankfully, I rarely have to go there these days.
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

The ACs I visit are less crowded and quieter, and can afford to pay for a drink.
What is mysterious about a chicken thigh?
chrisny2 and cjglick like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by steveholt
What is mysterious about a chicken thigh?
Don't know if it is left or right?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Which DFW club? Because A and D are certainly not "tiny." I was in A today, and it was rather empty at 3 pm on Monday. The guacamole is pretty popular.
The DFW D club certainly is tiny relative to its former size. DFW D lost most of its square footage to create the Flagship Lounge. So in my book, DFW D AC is tiny and wholly inadequate for its purpose.
PlatinumScum and MarkOK like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Herb687
The DFW D club certainly is tiny relative to its former size. DFW D lost most of its square footage to create the Flagship Lounge. So in my book, DFW D AC is tiny and wholly inadequate for its purpose.
Given there was nothing else previously for premium passengers, one could easily look at it as being right sized for the value it adds.

the Majority of customers AA wants to cater to in Terminal D should have access to the FL.
bscooter26 and travelingdrsuz like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Mar 26, 2024 at 11:47 pm
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Charlotte is by far the worst airport for AC's. They are total zoos.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I have access to a variety of domestic airline clubs - AA, Delta, Priority Pass, Chase Sapphire/Amex Centurion, etc. People want different things out of lounges. But on an objective basis, Admirals Clubs simply offer less than SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, Sapphire Clubs, etc. I can't compare to United Clubs as I don't recall ever entering one. Apparently the Capital One Clubs are good, however. At the end of the day, at American, the food offerings are weaker, decor is outdated, etc. Some of the clubs are more spacious and quiet, which can be good for some travelers, but as someone who has paid for access via the Citi Executive Card, and as someone who is more of an occasional AA flyer, I don't think I am getting the bang for the buck paying for Admirals Club access.

I have visited two of American's better clubs - DCA and LGA. Both are fine. However, the Admirals Club at LGA is apparently inferior to the Chase Sapphire Lounge in the same terminal. I don't know exactly where the DCA Centurion Lounge is opening, but it may provide competition for AA as well.

AA also simply suffers from a lack of clubs compared to Delta. Here are some non-hub airports where I have flown recently where AA does not have a club, but Delta (for example) does. When flying from these airports back home, particularly on business, I am not considering AA because I may want to have access to a club at these locations:
New Orleans
Kansas City
Jacksonville
West Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Seattle

The bottom line is that AA's club offering is weak - and with the introduction of additional credit card clubs like the Sapphire clubs, it is difficult to justify for fee of the Citi AA Executive card if you are primarily attributing the fee to lounge access. When the new fee posts, I will likely downgrade my Citi AA Exeuctive card and re-upgrade my Chase Sapphire Preferred card to a Reserve, so I get unlimited access to the Chase lounges.
CMTinPHL and hhdl like this.

Last edited by Adelphos; Mar 27, 2024 at 10:35 am Reason: Correction
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have access to a variety of domestic airline clubs - AA, Delta, Priority Pass, Chase Sapphire/Amex Centurion, etc. People want different things out of lounges. But on an objective basis, Admirals Clubs simply offer less than SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, Sapphire Clubs, etc. I can't compare to United Clubs as I don't recall ever entering one. Apparently the Capital One Clubs are good, however. At the end of the day, at American, the food offerings are weaker, decor is outdated, etc. Some of the clubs are more spacious and quiet, which can be good for some travelers, but as someone who has paid for access via the Citi Executive Card, and as someone who is more of an occasional AA flyer, I don't think I am getting the bang for the buck paying for Admirals Club access.

I have visited two of American's better clubs - DCA and LGA. Both are fine. However, the Admirals Club at LGA is apparently inferior to the Chase Sapphire Lounge in the same terminal. I don't know exactly where the DCA Centurion Lounge is opening, but it may provide competition for AA as well.

AA also simply suffers from a lack of clubs compared to Delta. Here are some non-hub airports where I have flown recently where AA does not have a club, but Delta (for example) does. When flying from these airports back home, particularly on business, I am not considering AA because I may want to have access to a club at these locations:
Nashville
New Orleans
Kansas City
Jacksonville
West Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Seattle

The bottom line is that AA's club offering is weak - and with the introduction of additional credit card clubs like the Sapphire clubs, it is difficult to justify for fee of the Citi AA Executive card if you are primarily attributing the fee to lounge access. When the new fee posts, I will likely downgrade my Citi AA Exeuctive card and re-upgrade my Chase Sapphire Preferred card to a Reserve, so I get unlimited access to the Chase lounges.
You've listed almost entirely a series of locations in the Southeast, where DL is strongest. The MCI club is brand new and a wonderful addition to the network, and SEA is a DL hub (or quasi-hub). AA also has a club in Nashville.

If your list was:

Charlotte
Houston
Orange County
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Toronto

You would have listed a bunch of places where AA has a club and DL does not.

I agree that DL's club network is more robust, but that is *because* they see it as a way to drive credit card revenue (which I think we agree on). There are certainly places where DL's club is better than AA (AUS comes to mind), but the DCA club is worlds better than the DL club. Some of the clubs you listed (FLL for one) are essentially small rooms, which is fine, but I'm not sure I would base my decision on whether to fly DL or AA on access to the FLL club.
Adelphos, hhdl, cjglick and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
You've listed almost entirely a series of locations in the Southeast, where DL is strongest. The MCI club is brand new and a wonderful addition to the network, and SEA is a DL hub (or quasi-hub). AA also has a club in Nashville.

If your list was:

Charlotte
Houston
Orange County
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Toronto

You would have listed a bunch of places where AA has a club and DL does not.

I agree that DL's club network is more robust, but that is *because* they see it as a way to drive credit card revenue (which I think we agree on). There are certainly places where DL's club is better than AA (AUS comes to mind), but the DCA club is worlds better than the DL club. Some of the clubs you listed (FLL for one) are essentially small rooms, which is fine, but I'm not sure I would base my decision on whether to fly DL or AA on access to the FLL club.
Because Toronto is now my home airport, I'm okay with maintaining the Citi Exec card. The AC here is decent. From here I connect via LGA/JFK, MIA, DFW or...when there's absolutely no other choice, CLT. Then, I use the CL via my AMEX. Sooo...YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
I think AC food and beverage quality has improved slowly but steadily over the last ~20 years, but the clubs are, in general, way more crowded than they used to be. Personally, I wish they'd charge much more, say $2,000, for an annual membership with admittance to members (plus guests and/or families) only regardless of airline being flown. My hope would be that the higher fee would result in many fewer members and might return the clubs to a quiet place for business travelers rather than romper room with the persistent sound of guacamole being "made fresh". It seems that the trend is not in favor of my preference so I'm just rolling with it – the AC, even in CLT, is still way better than the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.