Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Decline of Admirals clubs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:55 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I do wonder what impact (if any) the new AU fees on the Exec card will have on current crowding. I believe the new fees only took effect for renewals starting in the fall, so we’re about halfway through the annual renewal cycle right now.
jagoffee and cjglick like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The clubs in the former US Air hubs are the poor stepchildren. Small and crowded and in a seemingly permanent state of construction or improvisation. AUS is a zoo in the late afternoon before the BA flight boards. I have never been to the STL club. Otherwise I think they are fine and overall worth the price of admission. I was in the ORD club about a week ago and there was plenty of space and the food was quite good. I do agree that too many families with kids can spoil things.
jagoffee likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:16 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I've been a lifetime Admirals Club member for about 20 years. Food, drink and wifi are much better today. Yes the PM-US, and especially HP, lounges were never as well equipped as the ACs. But things should eventually get better.
jagoffee and cjglick like this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:06 pm
dw

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I've been a lifetime Admirals Club member for about 20 years. Food, drink and wifi are much better today. Yes the PM-US, and especially HP, lounges were never as well equipped as the ACs. But things should eventually get better.
I’m not particularly optimistic, especially when it comes to PHX, which needs new larger lounges, but it’s unclear whether there is even space available for that.

At this point, other than the new Flagship lounge in PHL (which isn’t even a AC), a new lounge for CLT that is years away, and a theoretical new lounge for AUS (also years away), I don’t recall AA making any announcements about new or renovated lounges in the pipeline.

ACs in the new design are DCA, EWR and DEN… and that’s it for now.

JFK, most of the former US lounges, and I’m sure a few other locations, are in desperate need for a renovation at this point.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'm at CLT B now . Total zoo--the club--the concourses--everywhere. Here in the club it's families all over the place little kids at the tables eating chicken out of bags, freestyle machine inop, only one working faucet in the men's room, bags and coats on seats "saving them", listening to drunk rednecks at the bar try to flirt with the bartender...the list is long and distinguished.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by michael1023
whats wrong with MIA?
The D30 club is usually far more crowded than the D15 club and tends to bring in the loud drunks going to Cancun.
gophish11 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dw
I’m not particularly optimistic, especially when it comes to PHX, which needs new larger lounges, but it’s unclear whether there is even space available for that.

At this point, other than the new Flagship lounge in PHL (which isn’t even a AC), a new lounge for CLT that is years away, and a theoretical new lounge for AUS (also years away), I don’t recall AA making any announcements about new or renovated lounges in the pipeline.

ACs in the new design are DCA, EWR and DEN… and that’s it for now.

JFK, most of the former US lounges, and I’m sure a few other locations, are in desperate need for a renovation at this point.
The biggest issue now are the crowds and that leads to other problems. Dirty clubs. Not enough seats with power. Lines to use a dirty bathroom stall. People screaming in a cell phone. Juvenile delinquent children running amuck.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by steveholt
You've listed almost entirely a series of locations in the Southeast, where DL is strongest. The MCI club is brand new and a wonderful addition to the network, and SEA is a DL hub (or quasi-hub). AA also has a club in Nashville.
You failed to mention that Admirals Club members have access to the Alaska Lounges at SEA.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
You failed to mention that Admirals Club members have access to the Alaska Lounges at SEA.
They look a lot nicer, but don't worry, they're just as disappointing unless you're there for the pancake machine. I would not advise going out of your way for the Alaska lounges. I really do wonder how Alaska saw what Delta did with the SEA SkyClub and still decided they were doing enough. The Alaska lounge in the north satellite is really nice looking, but they just up and decided that hardboiled eggs, yogurt, cheese cubes, and soup are the kinds of food people really like and to not bother with anything substantial.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
They look a lot nicer, but don't worry, they're just as disappointing unless you're there for the pancake machine. I would not advise going out of your way for the Alaska lounges. I really do wonder how Alaska saw what Delta did with the SEA SkyClub and still decided they were doing enough. The Alaska lounge in the north satellite is really nice looking, but they just up and decided that hardboiled eggs, yogurt, cheese cubes, and soup are the kinds of food people really like and to not bother with anything substantial.
One of Adelphos' complaints was that AA did not have a club at SEA. I simply pointed out that AC members can use the AL lounges at SEA.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
The clubs in the former US Air hubs are the poor stepchildren.
A bit offensive to those of us who have raised stepchildren and loved them as our own, but whatever
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jrosstx
A bit offensive to those of us who have raised stepchildren and loved them as our own, but whatever
That was your takeaway?

It's an old phrase.
Hoi polloi, jhawk0202 and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold - HH Diamond
I gave up ACs over five years ago and haven't missed it once. Twitter/the AA app give me all the customer support I need, in a pinch. Status gets me OW lounges when international and that works fine.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:29 am
dw

Was at the BOS AC yesterday, where I am every other month or so. Can't really pinpoint the cause of increased crowding at non-hub airport ACs (do that many people really have the Citi Exec card? Or have more people been choosing AC membership as a Loyalty Choice benefit due to the ease of earning LPs now?), but there's been a noticeable increase in crowding with the BOS club over the past year or so. At times, the crowding makes it feel like a SkyClub without the better decor and food.

For me, the historic value proposition of the ACs was that it was often a more peaceful place to wait, with bad food being the tradeoff compared to other airline lounges. Now they're often uncomfortably crowded, and the food still sucks.

Since I am usually on AA in J on the premium transcons (where lounge access is included), and I don't need the loyalty point boosts this year, I actually downgraded my Citi AA Exec card last month, after holding it since 2017, since my renewal is coming up. The increased AF (with coupon book credits I have no use for), new fees for AUs, and disappointing current state of ACs all contributed to this decision.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dw
Was at the BOS AC yesterday, where I am every other month or so. Can't really pinpoint the cause of increased crowding at non-hub airport ACs (do that many people really have the Citi Exec card? Or have more people been choosing AC membership as a Loyalty Choice benefit due to the ease of earning LPs now?), but there's been a noticeable increase in crowding with the BOS club over the past year or so. At times, the crowding makes it feel like a SkyClub without the better decor and food.

For me, the historic value proposition of the ACs was that it was often a more peaceful place to wait, with bad food being the tradeoff compared to other airline lounges. Now they're often uncomfortably crowded, and the food still sucks.

Since I am usually on AA in J on the premium transcons (where lounge access is included), and I don't need the loyalty point boosts this year, I actually downgraded my Citi AA Exec card last month, after holding it since 2017, since my renewal is coming up. The increased AF (with coupon book credits I have no use for), new fees for AUs, and disappointing current state of ACs all contributed to this decision.
I think a lot of posters underestimate how much card issuers have been pushing their higher annual fee cards recently. Cards like Citi AA Executive, Delta Reserve, etc seem more popular than ever despite the drop in business travel and resultant change in traveling public over the past five years. Further, the long predicted "drop in leisure travel" that was supposed to clear out clubs, airports, etc simply never arrived. Citi AA Executive has been offering big bonuses, and the refresh may work for some customers.
dw and cjglick like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.