Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ships skis via FedEx instead of with passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ships skis via FedEx instead of with passengers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The outcome of this seems to be that
Due to weight limits, AA used Fedex to transport the skis
Fedex delivered the skis to the home address of the passenger with no issue

This seems to be a benefit rather than something to be trying to avoid. Not having to wait at baggage reclaim, collect the skis and then transport them home seems to be a positive rather than a negative

If it was me this would make me more inclined to use AA over UA rather than being a positive for using UA
GaryZ, KBMIFlyer, james318 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm sure Fedex reliability is much higher than AA baggage, so in some ways you were lucky.

Should AA have been more transparent and had a better process? Absolutely.

Should you also sign up for FedEx delivery manager (along with UPS My Choice, and USPS informed delivery) to make things much easier on you in the future, AA related or otherwise? Also absolutely.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I don't think most people on this forum understand the day-to-day realities of package delivery in urban areas. Packages get stolen all the time from stoops, doorsteps, and apartment lobbies. I say this as someone who likes living in NYC and also thinks the recent "crime" narrative is generally false. The package problem is an annoying and longstanding reality of life. You have some recourse with retailers who almost always redeliver at their expense (or absorb the hassle dealing with carrier insurance), and worst case, there is credit card chargeback. OP was reasonably worried with AA's shipping arrangement, and could not even retrieve the tracking number from AA to use delivery manager or whatever (which, BTW is STILL more hassle than picking up at baggage claim.) I 100% agree with OP that I would rather collect my belongings at airport baggage claim vs have them shipped like a $10 amazon package to my doorstep. I can certainly vouch that the package theft rate at my apartment in NYC far exceeds AA's mishandled baggage rate (much less, their lost baggage rate.)

And FWIW IMO, in NYC FedEx is worse than Amazon contractors and just marginally better than lasership.
CJ99, USFlyerUS, scoonee and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
I don't think most people on this forum understand the day-to-day realities of package delivery in urban areas. Packages get stolen all the time from stoops, doorsteps, and apartment lobbies. I say this as someone who likes living in NYC and also thinks the recent "crime" narrative is generally false. The package problem is an annoying and longstanding reality of life. You have some recourse with retailers who almost always redeliver at their expense (or absorb the hassle dealing with carrier insurance), and worst case, there is credit card chargeback. OP was reasonably worried with AA's shipping arrangement, and could not even retrieve the tracking number from AA to use delivery manager or whatever (which, BTW is STILL more hassle than picking up at baggage claim.) I 100% agree with OP that I would rather collect my belongings at airport baggage claim vs have them shipped like a $10 amazon package to my doorstep. I can certainly vouch that the package theft rate at my apartment in NYC far exceeds AA's mishandled baggage rate (much less, their lost baggage rate.)

And FWIW IMO, in NYC FedEx is worse than Amazon contractors and just marginally better than lasership.
Hmmm. I'm thinking back to the peak of the dollar coin days and the time the UPS guy left 50,000 of them on my doorstep when nobody was home. I was an idiot for not thinking about that beforehand, but a quick call to UPS was all it took to preempt recurrences of the same scenario (i.e. they gave me several viable options that are easy to invoke as a receiver when senders don't require signature verification).
Old Mar 22, 2024, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by moondog
Hmmm. I'm thinking back to the peak of the dollar coin days and the time the UPS guy left 50,000 of them on my doorstep when nobody was home.
That's about 400 kilograms or 880 pounds. You carried them up the stairs?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's about 400 kilograms or 880 pounds. You carried them up the stairs?
No. I loaded them straight into my van.
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
and could not even retrieve the tracking number from AA to use delivery manager or whatever (which, BTW is STILL more hassle than picking up at baggage claim.)
I use delivery manager all the time, FedEx sends me an email telling me something is being sent to me. I don't have to go searching for the tracking number because FedEx is the one that sends it to me. In fact I usually get the email from FedEx before I get any notification from the merchant or other source. And the reason I use it, is because our FedEx guy has a bad habit of 1) claiming we weren't home and either just leaving the package without knocking OR saying he wasn't able to deliver and 2) leaving packages in weird places. Again I'm not saying what AA did is right, but everyone should be using delivery manager (and the similar options from UPS and USPS) for situations just like this.
moondog, lougord99 and bchandler02 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by lunchtime
united does this same thing all the time at ASE. All airlines do. It’s a ASE thing . When the flight is full they need to save weight to takeoff. They either have to ditch passengers, fuel or skis. It’s more of an ASE thing than an AA thing. The planes at ASE barely make it out of that airport if the flight is full and lots of heavy skis they have to reduce weight to get out of ASE. Skis are mad heavy and the aspen crowd in particular has heavy luggage: peak season this is not uncommon at ASE.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:48 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by cb212
Definitely not worth the hassle and aggravation next time I'll just fly United.
As mentioned up thread, all the airlines do this. Because United may not have done it on a previous trip you took doesn't mean it won't happen on a future trip. Now that you know the drill, just be prepared next time (regardless of airline) and get the FedEx ship manager app. You can have better control of the delivery to avoid the stress and cost of paying someone to go pick them up before they're stolen.
moondog and bchandler02 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by moondog
No. I loaded them straight into my van.
An that weight, you probably had little to fear from the casual passer-by front porch package thief.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 11:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
As an fyi I’ve had over a hundred flights into and out of ege and this has never happened to me on the a319s and legacy 757s they used to run on that route. While it’s 90 minutes from Aspen, you can also get s as daily nonstop to jfk, this might be worth considering in the future.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
An that weight, you probably had little to fear from the casual passer-by front porch package thief.
The individual boxes weren't especially heavy (remember, everyone who handles them needs to be able to lift them), but thankfully the US Mint doesn't do showy packaging...and coins weren't really a mainstream thing, even within the ft community, which was much smaller back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.