Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ships skis via FedEx instead of with passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

I flew AA from Aspen-DFW-LGA and paid for skis in advance. At ASE the airline said they were FedExing all skis via to make weight. I was told 2 days and not given a Fedex reciept. When I got worrid about this in DFW no one at AA would or could assist me despite repeated phone calls, tweets and requests to gate agent. I can't find anything about Fedex in the Contract of Carriage. AA completely dismissed my concerns and refused to help me when I told them I would not be home and having Fedex leave a package on my steps on the street in a major city is an invitation for theft. I have flown United with skis for 20 years and never had an issue. First time flying AA with skis and last.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Did you receive a baggage claim check (or any other type of receipt) from AA for the skies? How many days has it been since your flight?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Did they ship them directly to your house or just to LGA where the AA baggage service would perform the final delivery?

Also while I understand your frustration, it's not surprising at all that just 2 hours into your trip no one knew anything or was able to provide you any information yet. Reservations, X, or gate agents in Dallas aren't going to have a clue what kind of luggage issues were going on in Aspen earlier in the day so it's a waste of time to even bother.

Did your skis ultimately get delivered or did this happen today?
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Wow. Well, I guess at least they were transparent?
Personally I would demand a baggage claim check (as ordinary checked luggage) and file a missing baggage report upon arrival, just to force the paper trail. Then, if the skis dont get to me for whatever reason, like package theft, I can go back to AA (or credit card insurance) as they could not ensure my luggage got to me
Old Mar 20, 2024, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Going out on a limb, I'm guessing the OP isn't doing much skiing in NYC. If so, FedEx to his destination seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. Also, with or without a receipt, it's usually possible to track shipments.
donotblink and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If this happened yesterday, you still have time to sign up for FedEx delivery manager, which would notify you of any shipments to your address and allow you to track them. You don't need a receipt or a tracking number. Then if you won't be home, you can manage what happens to the delivery. For example, I have a delivery I am expecting today that I rerouted to pickup at a FedEx location near my home, instead of having them leave it on my doorstep.
moondog, carlosdca and AndyAA like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by cb212
I was told 2 days and not given a Fedex reciept....
You were no given a FedEx receipt but did you get any other receipt? Bag tags?

​​​​​​
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
You were no given a FedEx receipt but did you get any other receipt? Bag tags?

​​​​​​
What purpose would bag tags serve for stuff that is in the FedEx system?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Tags would acknowledge AA’s ultimate responsibility for the baggage under the Montreal Convention, right?
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by carlosdca
You were no given a FedEx receipt but did you get any other receipt? Bag tags?​​​​​​
It's still not entirely clear what happened here. I could see AA tagging the ski bag like usual to LGA, but telling all pax that the skis would actually be shipped separately via FedEx. No different than luggage held back for weight or balance, except the bags would ultimately travel via FedEx instead of AA.

That's why I asked above exactly where the bags were shipped to, LGA or the OP's residence.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the 2 or 3 check-in agents at ASE manually verifying addresses and printing individual FedEx labels on the spot for any pax with skis, which at ASE is a lot. That would take forever and cause all sorts of check-in delays.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by cb212
I flew AA from Aspen-DFW-LGA and paid for skis in advance. At ASE the airline said they were FedExing all skis via to make weight. I was told 2 days and not given a Fedex reciept. When I got worrid about this in DFW no one at AA would or could assist me despite repeated phone calls, tweets and requests to gate agent. I can't find anything about Fedex in the Contract of Carriage. AA completely dismissed my concerns and refused to help me when I told them I would not be home and having Fedex leave a package on my steps on the street in a major city is an invitation for theft. I have flown United with skis for 20 years and never had an issue. First time flying AA with skis and last.
united does this same thing all the time at ASE. All airlines do. It’s a ASE thing . When the flight is full they need to save weight to takeoff. They either have to ditch passengers, fuel or skis. It’s more of an ASE thing than an AA thing. The planes at ASE barely make it out of that airport if the flight is full and lots of heavy skis they have to reduce weight to get out of ASE. Skis are mad heavy and the aspen crowd in particular has heavy luggage: peak season this is not uncommon at ASE.
dw, JJeffrey, USFlyerUS and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:57 am

You should be able to have them held at a fedex store. Even if you can’t get the tracking number if you open a fedex account and setup delivery manager for your address you should be able to have them held at a store
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJ99
Tags would acknowledge AA’s ultimate responsibility for the baggage under the Montreal Convention, right?
I believe the Montreal Convention only applies to international carriage.

Assuming the skis were packed according to AA's guidelines, then I believe AA's standard liability coverage would apply here. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...and-sports.jsp.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Mar 21, 2024 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by CJ99
ASE to LGA is not an international flight.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 21, 2024 at 9:14 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 9:50 am

ASE to LGA is not an international flight.
I think the overall point remains valid. By issuing baggage tags, AA has accepted responsibility under the contract of carriage, including the provisions on baggage liability. So if there is damage or delay, one would likely need to work directly with AA on addressing the issue even if fedex caused the damage.
chrisny2, CJ99 and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.