Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ships skis via FedEx instead of with passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ships skis via FedEx instead of with passengers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dc10forlife
I think the overall point remains valid. By issuing baggage tags, AA has accepted responsibility under the contract of carriage, including the provisions on baggage liability. So if there is damage or delay, one would likely need to work directly with AA on addressing the issue even if fedex caused the damage.
After the destination for the skis gets changed to "my house", I wouldn't want to see any tags marked "LGA" personally (i.e. completely preempt the "when can you come back to the airport?" conversation).
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
What purpose would bag tags serve for stuff that is in the FedEx system?
The OP is focused on the Fedex receipt. For that and not having his skis left out on the streets of NY, all OP has to do, as already advised, is to sign up for Fedex ship manager. It works.

The ultimate responsibility for the OP's skis is AA's. Not Fedex. So I would want something from AA that shows that the bag was handed over (whether a bag tag, or a handwritten note by the agent, something!).
CJ99 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lunchtime
united does this same thing all the time at ASE. All airlines do. It’s a ASE thing . When the flight is full they need to save weight to takeoff. They either have to ditch passengers, fuel or skis. It’s more of an ASE thing than an AA thing. The planes at ASE barely make it out of that airport if the flight is full and lots of heavy skis they have to reduce weight to get out of ASE. Skis are mad heavy and the aspen crowd in particular has heavy luggage: peak season this is not uncommon at ASE.
Hmm, a pair of skis probably weighs 10 pounds. These planes must really be operating at the limits for that to make a difference, and then makes you wonder since they're not actually weighing passengers whether the averages they are using are close to reality.
bchandler02 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
The OP is focused on the Fedex receipt. For that and not having his skis left out on the streets of NY, all OP has to do, as already advised, is to sign up for Fedex ship manager. It works.

The ultimate responsibility for the OP's skis is AA's. Not Fedex. So I would want something from AA that shows that the bag was handed over (whether a bag tag, or a handwritten note by the agent, something!).
Sure, if FedEx somehow botches the delivery, then the OP should focus on AA. But, odds are that the OP already has his skis by now.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Hmm, a pair of skis probably weighs 10 pounds. These planes must really be operating at the limits for that to make a difference, and then makes you wonder since they're not actually weighing passengers whether the averages they are using are close to reality.
True about the skis weight. I thought the same.
However, lots of folks stuff their ski bags with clothes and other stuff.
So most ski bags don't necessarily contain only skis.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Did you receive a baggage claim check (or any other type of receipt) from AA for the skies? How many days has it been since your flight?
I only received a baggage claim ticket, not a FedEx receipt. I was told the skis would arrive two days later to my home, instead they arrived a day later when no on was there and FedEx just left them for anyone to steal.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cb212
I only received a baggage claim ticket, not a FedEx receipt. I was told the skis would arrive two days later to my home, instead they arrived a day later when no on was there and FedEx just left them for anyone to steal.
Did anyone steal them?
dw, Bradhattan, nancypants and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Did they ship them directly to your house or just to LGA where the AA baggage service would perform the final delivery?

Also while I understand your frustration, it's not surprising at all that just 2 hours into your trip no one knew anything or was able to provide you any information yet. Reservations, X, or gate agents in Dallas aren't going to have a clue what kind of luggage issues were going on in Aspen earlier in the day so it's a waste of time to even bother.

Did your skis ultimately get delivered or did this happen today?
American Airlines had them FedEx directly to my house as they did with everyone's skis from Aspen. Not only did no one know anything about it but people at American Airlines did not believe me when I told them and that includes the baggage office at LGA when I landed. Yes the skis arrived FedEx left them in front of my home for anyone to steal since there was no signature required and no one was home. They sent me a message about it so I had to pay someone to go and get them for me so they would not be stolen. Definitely not worth the hassle and aggravation next time I'll just fly United.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Going out on a limb, I'm guessing the OP isn't doing much skiing in NYC. If so, FedEx to his destination seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. Also, with or without a receipt, it's usually possible to track shipments.
We have skiing in upstate New York, Vermont and New Jersey, which is a couple hours drive away, but you are correct I wasn't going skiing the moment I got back. That's not the point. There's no transparency about paying for your skis to go on AA only to be told they are going to be sent FedEx and there is no signature required so they will just be left in front of your home where they can be stolen if you are not there and I was not there.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
We have skiing in upstate New York, Vermont and New Jersey, which is a couple hours drive away, but you are correct I wasn't going skiing the moment I got back. That's not the point. There's no transparency about paying for your skis to go on AA only to be told they are going to be sent FedEx and there is no signature required so they will just be left in front of your home where they can be stolen if you are not there and I was not there.
For any future FedEx deliveries, sign up for Delivery Manager now, so you'll know if they leave something when you're not there (or have the opportunity to redirect it so it's not left).
dw, moondog, bchandler02 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
You were no given a FedEx receipt but did you get any other receipt? Bag tags?

​​​​​​
yes I was given bag tags but when I went to the baggage claim office at LaGuardia they could not help me they could not figure out how to get any information regarding FedEx and told me I had to wait until the next day when the Aspen office was open and call. I did call that office and by then it was too late they were rude and did not want to assist.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:01 pm

yes I was given bag tags but when I went to the baggage claim office at LaGuardia they could not help me they could not figure out how to get any information regarding FedEx and told me I had to wait until the next day when the Aspen office was open and call. I did call that office and by then it was too late they were rude and did not want to assist.
If you knew the skis were being sent via FedEx before the plane left ASE, why did you bother going to the baggage claim office at LGA?
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
AA and FedEx were obviously willing to run the risk of their being stolen. You would have then had a claim against AA for non-delivery of your skis, and presumably AA would have had a claim against FedEx, but the latter should be of no concern to you.

Airline baggage gets delayed/misrouted every day. You have no assurance that the delivery service an airline uses will not leave your baggage in front of your house. If you're not willing to take that risk, you can ship your baggage yourself, and either pay extra for the adult-signature requirement that both FedEx and UPS offer, or you can opt to have your baggage shipped to a staffed pick-up point, where you can claim it at your convenience -- and then schlep it home yourself. Your choice.
moondog and hhdl like this.

Last edited by guv1976; Mar 21, 2024 at 7:29 pm
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
American Airlines had them FedEx directly to my house as they did with everyone's skis from Aspen. Not only did no one know anything about it but people at American Airlines did not believe me when I told them and that includes the baggage office at LGA when I landed. Yes the skis arrived FedEx left them in front of my home for anyone to steal since there was no signature required and no one was home. They sent me a message about it so I had to pay someone to go and get them for me so they would not be stolen. Definitely not worth the hassle and aggravation next time I'll just fly United.
Delete.

Last edited by Bradhattan; Mar 21, 2024 at 8:49 pm
Old Mar 21, 2024, 8:59 pm

Some people pay a considerable sum extra for this fedx service. I think you were fortunate. Material items drag many of us down in life like Skis, Golf clubs, etc. Quite a few people who are wealthy pay Fedx to send these objects ahead so they can be free of these items when they travel. I understand your concern about theft etc but try and set yourself free of these heavy material objects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.