Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will ticketing through Chase UR affect SWU use/odds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 4:27 pm
gmc
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond

I've got Chase Ultimate Rewards points galore; am thinking of using UR points to book me/spouse tickets USA-Europe. Does booking via Chase affect my ability to apply SWUs? If still allowed, does it lower odds of clearance? I can't see anything in other threads that ticketing this way would affect SWU use or odds of clearance, but I've never thought about this or seen it discussed, could easily be something I'm missing.

I know of the recent changes about earning loyalty points for tix purchased outside of AA, and assume that they would not earn LP.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gmc
I've got Chase Ultimate Rewards points galore; am thinking of using UR points to book me/spouse tickets USA-Europe. Does booking via Chase affect my ability to apply SWUs? If still allowed, does it lower odds of clearance? I can't see anything in other threads that ticketing this way would affect SWU use or odds of clearance, but I've never thought about this or seen it discussed, could easily be something I'm missing.

I know of the recent changes about earning loyalty points for tix purchased outside of AA, and assume that they would not earn LP.
AFAIK, nothing is different about applying SWUs to tickets bought directly from AA vs. Chase or other OTA’s. I’ve bought many a ticket through Amex Travel and used SWUs without any problem. It dopes not affect the odds of clearance. You still have to call into AA to apply the SWU, just like you would if you bought the ticket on AA.com.

I’ve always earned LPs on tickets bought through Amex. That will probably not change with AA’s new NDC requirements for OTA’s, but it could I guess.

Last edited by CMTinPHL; Mar 20, 2024 at 5:16 pm Reason: Added info re: LPs
Old Apr 27, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Related a bit to this topic. How does booking through Chase (using UR's) impact the upgrade if only one seat opens, and there are two or more on the itinerary? With AA direct, I think they can split the itinerary. Is that the same for tix purchased using UR's through Chase travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.