Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP

When AA rolled out the 2024 elite email it states earning loyalty points on cash upgrades (web / app) was coming soon. Do any of our AA insiders on this forum have an update as to when "coming soon" is?

Thanks

Will
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Nothing has been said other than what was in the original communications. Sometime in 2024.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Isn't that the best question? I think so. Like what is the deal with AA that makes them announce important changes like this but not announce when they will start? I am generally an AA defender when others make it the Cinderella (before the ball) of the airline industry, but this is the sort of ridiculous stuff that is hard to defend. Like just don't announce it if you don't know. This should have been live March 1. That would have been logical, but alas!
mxracer95 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Isn't that the best question? I think so. Like what is the deal with AA that makes them announce important changes like this but not announce when they will start? I am generally an AA defender when others make it the Cinderella (before the ball) of the airline industry, but this is the sort of ridiculous stuff that is hard to defend. Like just don't announce it if you don't know. This should have been live March 1. That would have been logical, but alas!
Interesting. Cinderella is known for being beautiful and intelligent (I mean, she landed the prince at the end, that's a good strategy haha); AA is neither.
777lover likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
ILike what is the deal with AA that makes them announce important changes like this but not announce when they will start?
Just like the AC improvements, right??

In seriousness - whenever AA comes around with updating their IT. I got the impression loyalty points were a hack on existing EQDs and EQM counters. And in-app buy-ups would earn neither.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I reread again today and it implies it starts(ed) March 1st, but I find that hard to believe. Hopefully it does I do a good amount of those app upgrades...
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Also, it's been pointed out that in the original communication it said miles, not specifically LPs. No one knows because AA hasn't clarified or updated. But you might end up getting RDMs for the cash upgrades but not LPs. Very poorly communicated and rolled out.
scoonee and TastyPlaneEats like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by EXP100
Very poorly communicated and rolled out.
Yes, AA's product marketing team sure knows what they are doing... NOT lol
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EXP100
Also, it's been pointed out that in the original communication it said miles, not specifically LPs. No one knows because AA hasn't clarified or updated. But you might end up getting RDMs for the cash upgrades but not LPs. Very poorly communicated and rolled out.
But, other comms say anything that earns miles earns LPs, except for bonuses. I agree this was poorly communicated.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by fly747first
Interesting. Cinderella is known for being beautiful and intelligent (I mean, she landed the prince at the end, that's a good strategy haha); AA is neither.
Indeed, you make excellent points. (But sorry, no Loyalty Points can be accrued on this post.)
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Had paid upgrades for two flights POST March 1st - nothing posted other than the standard LPs and standard miles.. So this is still work in progress. Would be nice if they activate and then do a retro calculation since March 1st. This being AA not sure they would even consider that, sadly.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:38 am

I was really hopeful this would start with the new program year but definitely no luck yet. I buy these frequently so it will be a nice boost when it happens.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry to jump in sort of topic-adjacent - is there any info available as to whether miles&copay spend will be eligible?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:51 am

As has been stated many times, we only know what was stated in the initial communication

Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Sorry to jump in sort of topic-adjacent - is there any info available as to whether miles&copay spend will be eligible?
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:36 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Had paid upgrades for two flights POST March 1st - nothing posted other than the standard LPs and standard miles.. So this is still work in progress. Would be nice if they activate and then do a retro calculation since March 1st. This being AA not sure they would even consider that, sadly.
How about retroactive to 2023? The expectations are that AA is going to give us LPs ; not our problem they are being vague in what is coming. I should be EXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.