Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?

When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?

Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by william142
I reread again today and it implies it starts(ed) March 1st, but I find that hard to believe. Hopefully it does I do a good amount of those app upgrades...
I'm as anxious as anyone to see paid upgrades start earning LPs, but I don't understand how you read the annoucement to imply that this was going to start on March 1st. The email that was sent in January (mine arrived January 9) said "we’d like to share some updates coming March 1, 2024 and beyond to help your loyalty go further." It then provided a link to the following program update page, which lists a variety of anticipated changes with a variety of start dates. Some changes were listed as starting on January 17th. Some were listed as starting on March 1st, and then some others (I think added later) starting on May 1st. A number of changes did not have any specific start date listed. The change we are discussing now was listed as follows:

New upgrade benefits

Coming soon, you can:

• Earn miles on upgrades: Earn miles when you pay with cash to upgrade to a premium cabin.
  • Upgrade with our partners: You’ll be able to redeem miles for upgrades with select airline partners in 2024.
  • Manage systemwide upgrades: Request systemwide upgrades online.
I don't see how that can be read to imply a March 1 start date, or to convey a signal that upgrades purchased prior to the whenever this change is finally implemented will be retroactively covered.
JJeffrey, scoonee and CMTinPHL like this.

Last edited by ZenFlyer; Mar 18, 2024 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by D3Kingg
How about retroactive to 2023? The expectations are that AA is going to give us LPs ; not our problem they are being vague in what is coming. I should be EXP.
AAs poor IT infrastructure is probably why this hasnt been rolled out yet hoping AA makes it retroactive to 2023 just adds another layer of complexity that AA is sure to avoid.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 11:52 am

Which system is it being built on? Everything I have seen is that it between the shopping engine and Sabre web services.

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
AAs poor IT infrastructure is probably why this hasnt been rolled out yet hoping AA makes it retroactive to 2023 just adds another layer of complexity that AA is sure to avoid.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
Which system is it being built on? Everything I have seen is that it between the shopping engine and Sabre web services.
How would I know? Im just referring generally to AAs IT.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Speculation above suggests 01Mar as the start date for earning LPs on upgrades. Has anyone seen this yet? Specifically, I am wondering about the $350 copay to upgrade an international flight.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Speculation above suggests 01Mar as the start date for earning LPs on upgrades. Has anyone seen this yet? Specifically, I am wondering about the $350 copay to upgrade an international flight.
Have you read the rest of the thread?
asnovici and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Have you read the rest of the thread?
Yes. Why is my question unfair?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:21 pm

In App (and online) upgrades have not started earning LPs.

To the best of my knowledge, AA has never indicated that the $350 copay for upgrading intl flights with miles will earn LPs.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:39 pm

It's not "unfair" but you seem to have focused on one post and disregarded many subsequent posts indicating that AA never promised or suggested a March 1 start for this new benefit.
scoonee, CMTinPHL and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:42 pm

No one said it was “unfair”, but earlier posts answered your question. AA still has not offered LPs for purchased upgrades, and has never suggested that they will apply to copays (or seat selection fees, etc. - who knows, maybe they will - but AA never suggested that).
asnovici likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:04 am

Thank you all for the edification. Seriously.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
the more I read the "coming soon" page on AA, the more it reads as additional MILES and not Loyalty Points will eventually come with paid upgrades.
Now, I dont necessarily give AA editors credit for consistent use of terms but the difference between miles and LP is critical in their program now so I would hope someone actually reviewed the language

I know bloggers have consistently referred to loyalty points coming for upgrades but I cant find a reference to LP on AAs website
Thoughts?
Old May 1, 2024, 10:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aj411
the more I read the "coming soon" page on AA, the more it reads as additional MILES and not Loyalty Points will eventually come with paid upgrades.
Now, I dont necessarily give AA editors credit for consistent use of terms but the difference between miles and LP is critical in their program now so I would hope someone actually reviewed the language

I know bloggers have consistently referred to loyalty points coming for upgrades but I cant find a reference to LP on AAs website
Thoughts?
Except for bonus miles, all miles also earn LPs, as far as I know. That was one of the changes in 2022 to make the program easier to understand.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Except for bonus miles, all miles also earn LPs, as far as I know. That was one of the changes in 2022 to make the program easier to understand.
Except when they don't. Generally they do but even in AAs own FAQ they make it clear that some promotions, bonus miles, extras charges on flights, etc do not earn loyalty points. The two are not always equal
Old May 1, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by aj411
Except when they don't. Generally they do but even in AAs own FAQ they make it clear that some promotions, bonus miles, extras charges on flights, etc do not earn loyalty points. The two are not always equal
That's true. However, earning miles for upgrades and not LPs would really make this supposed improvement much less of one, IMHO. And, how would those miles be computed? 1 mile per dollar, based on the status of the flying passenger like other flight miles/LPs, or something else?

We just need to wait to see exactly what AA does.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.