Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LHR: Collecting AA Bags and Rechecking to BA Europe Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

This summer I may fly on AA ticket/metal from US into LHR, arriving about noon. Then about 3pm departing on a BA ticket/metal to the European continent.

What are the chances I can show my BA ticket to the ticket agent in the US and they will check my bags through LHR to my final destination on my BA ticket?

If I have to pick up bags from an AA flight, and recheck with a different ticket on a BA flight what is the process?

1) At the point where I would collect my bag after arriving from the USA, is there a place to recheck bags for people who have bags checked through to destinations in the UK or Europe? And is there a BA agent there who would be able to pull up my BA reservation and tag my bag for the next BA flight from LHR into Europe?

2) Or will I need to enter the country and check my bag with everyone else at the normal ticket counters?
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Zero. AA will not check through separate PNRs.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will have to follow option (2)
Depending on your onward destination, you will probably have to take the train to Terminal 5 to check in for the BA flight after clearing immigration and customs at terminal 3
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Zero. AA will not check through separate PNRs.
Good to know. If I do a RT ticket, its about $2000. But if I do a multicity ticket that stops in LHR on the outbound (but keeps the same return from the continent), it is only $1200. And I can buy the leg on BA from LHR to the continent for $300. So I save $500 by having a separate BA ticket for one leg. Is there any chance that this leg can be purchased as a separate BA leg, but put on my PNR if I reserve both tickets at the same time?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will have to follow option (2)
Depending on your onward destination, you will probably have to take the train to Terminal 5 to check in for the BA flight after clearing immigration and customs at terminal 3
Thank you.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
Good to know. If I do a RT ticket, its about $2000. But if I do a multicity ticket that stops in LHR on the outbound (but keeps the same return from the continent), it is only $1200. And I can buy the leg on BA from LHR to the continent for $300. So I save $500 by having a separate BA ticket for one leg. Is there any chance that this leg can be purchased as a separate BA leg, but put on my PNR if I reserve both tickets at the same time?
Yes, if you book the tickets through a competent travel agent, and pay the agent's fee. Be sure to make clear that both tickets must be contained on a single PNR.
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.