Wiki Posts
Search

Question about mile earning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
Question about mile earning

Apologies if this an obvious one. I'm trying to work beyond GLD, having been at that level for years.

A recent LHR-CLT, then PIT-LHR got me the following -

1.)LHR-CLT (I fare - paid PE, miles and co-pay to upgrade to J. Had been a C fare following gje upgrade but I got bumled so it became I if that makes any difference.

Award miles 3241.
Base miles 2315.
Bonus miles 926.
Loyalty points 3241.

AA metal if that makes any difference.

2.)PiT-LHR. (P fare, paid cash to upgrade to J.)
Award miles 2961.
Base miles 2115.
​​​Bonus miles 846.
Loyalty points 2961.

BA metal

When I flew LHR-CLT in March (E fare, similar ticket price) I received 5877 loyalty points.
Similarly, PIT-LHR got me 7068 loyalty points, again similar fare and ticket bucket.

Has something changed?

Thanks in advance. Was banking on my recent trip and one more early next year on getting me past the threshold for platinum but now I may fall short.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rpjepson
Apologies if this an obvious one. I'm trying to work beyond GLD, having been at that level for years.

1.)LHR-CLT (I fare - paid PE, miles and co-pay to upgrade to J. Had been a C fare following gje upgrade but I got bumled so it became I if that makes any difference.

Award miles 3241.
Base miles 2315.
Bonus miles 926.
Loyalty points 3241.

Award miles 2961.
Base miles 2115.
​​​Bonus miles 846.
Loyalty points 2961.

BA metal

When I flew LHR-CLT in March (E fare, similar ticket price) I received 5877 loyalty points.
Similarly, PIT-LHR got me 7068 loyalty points, again similar fare and ticket bucket.

Has something changed?

Thanks in advance. Was banking on my recent trip and one more early next year on getting me past the threshold for platinum but now I may fall short.
What was the roundtrip fare you paid -- without taxes, but including carrier surcharges -- for the recent travel? Based on the base miles earned, it should have been just under $900.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
BA earnings are now fare based. The fare code doesn't matter. It posts just like AA flights as of Oct 18 onward.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award miles 3241.
Base miles 2315.
Bonus miles 926.
Loyalty points 3241.

Award miles 2961.
Base miles 2115.
​​​Bonus miles 846.
Loyalty points 2961.

BA metal

Has something changed?

If the miles earning is important to you I would suggest that you look at the charts on aa.com before you buy the ticket. Sometimes small changes can make a big difference, but that doesn't help you if you don't look at it until after the fact.

You aren't including the important information -- namely, who is the marketing carrier? Operating carrier doesn't make a difference between AA and BA.

For AA marketed flights, nothing has changed since March. You earn 5 base pts per dollar plus your status bonus, which is 40% as Gold, so 7 miles per dollar. You also get 7 LP per dollar.

BA marketed flights have gone from a distance chart to earning by fare, just like AA marketed flights do. So your March flight would have earned according to the distance chart if it was BA marketed (the chart is still on the website, so you can check it to make sure the earnings make sense). Any BA marketed flights since Oct 18 would have earned by fare, 7 miles per dollar (including status bonus) just like AA marketed flights.

The fare includes the base fare and the carrier imposed surcharges, but not taxes and government-imposed fees. You may have to drill down into the receipt a bit since sometimes they combine carrier-imposed surcharges with taxes in the "taxes and fees" section (which should be illegal but that's another discussion). You will need to split away the carrier-imposed fees from the actual taxes.

Also upgrade fees / copays don't earn anything.
guv1976 and JJeffrey like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
What was the roundtrip fare you paid -- without taxes, but including carrier surcharges -- for the recent travel? Based on the base miles earned, it should have been just under $900.
Thank you. It was $2000.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If the miles earning is important to you I would suggest that you look at the charts on aa.com before you buy the ticket. Sometimes small changes can make a big difference, but that doesn't help you if you don't look at it until after the fact.

You aren't including the important information -- namely, who is the marketing carrier? Operating carrier doesn't make a difference between AA and BA.

For AA marketed flights, nothing has changed since March. You earn 5 base pts per dollar plus your status bonus, which is 40% as Gold, so 7 miles per dollar. You also get 7 LP per dollar.

BA marketed flights have gone from a distance chart to earning by fare, just like AA marketed flights do. So your March flight would have earned according to the distance chart if it was BA marketed (the chart is still on the website, so you can check it to make sure the earnings make sense). Any BA marketed flights since Oct 18 would have earned by fare, 7 miles per dollar (including status bonus) just like AA marketed flights.

The fare includes the base fare and the carrier imposed surcharges, but not taxes and government-imposed fees. You may have to drill down into the receipt a bit since sometimes they combine carrier-imposed surcharges with taxes in the "taxes and fees" section (which should be illegal but that's another discussion). You will need to split away the carrier-imposed fees from the actual taxes.

Also upgrade fees / copays don't earn anything.
Booked through Expedia but the flight numbers were all AA.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Booked through Expedia but the flight numbers were all AA.
Since you booked through Expedia it's possible the flights posted as a special fare which posts by distance rather than fare.

When you look at the details under each posting in your AA account, does it say method fare or distance?
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Since you booked through Expedia it's possible the flights posted as a special fare which posts by distance rather than fare.

When you look at the details under each posting in your AA account, does it say method fare or distance?
It says fare. Is that significant?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It says fare. Is that significant?
It just means that AA credited based on fare, which is standard procedure.

Do you have any status, are you still Gold with AA? It's not clear from above.

If you don't have status then your miles earning isn't that far off from expectations. For a $2000 fare departing the UK, you could roughly expect about $1500 of that to count. $1500 x 5 LP/$ = 7500 LP. It looks like you earned slightly below that.
Antarius likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't have status then your miles earning isn't that far off from expectations. For a $2000 fare departing the UK, you could roughly expect about $1500 of that to count. $1500 x 5 LP/$ = 7500 LP. It looks like you earned slightly below that.
I assume that the "bonus miles" are status bonus.

The first one is 2315 base (fare = $463) and 926 bonus (40% gold status bonus)

2nd one is 2115 (fare = $423) plus 40% bonus.

OP did not give base + bonus breakdowns for the March flights. Did those also post by fare? And were they also AA flight numbers?
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I am still gold. Should the miles earning have been more than I received?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the replies. I am still gold. Should the miles earning have been more than I received?
We need to know the exact fare with taxes breakdown and all segments on the ticket to answer this definitively.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Dec 23, 2023 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.