Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I'm worried I might get downgraded, or double upgraded? SWU not taken but...requested

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm worried I might get downgraded, or double upgraded? SWU not taken but...requested

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

I booked a roundtrip flight to Amsterdam next week a few weeks ago, got a false alert from EF about upgrade availability, called in and was told it can't be processed but I got waitlisted, at least the segment to London from the States.

A few days later I noticed I no longer had ANY seat assignment, went into the app/online, and was able to select a business seat. This very first leg now appears 4th in order when examining the flight in the app, as opposed to first. It shows my business seat. In the upgrades requested section, it shows REQUESTED on all legs except the small BA to Amsterdam flight that is too small to matter. It does not say confirmed. Additionally, I still appear to have 5 of 10 systemwide upgrades instead of 4. (By the way, anyone find it weird that it just says how many deposited and how many used with random expiration dates? How should I know if the agents are using the oldest ones up first?)

So... when the 100 hour window gets here, or at the gate, what do you all suspect will happen? Potentially upgraded from business to first? 4 of 8 seats are open. Potentially downgraded since the upgrade did not actually get taken or clear? I guess anything can happen. This ever happen to anyone else?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Did you get a email confirmation of reticketing?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Antarius
Did you get a email confirmation of reticketing?
No, and I just looked at the original receipt or confirmation, it's even WEIRDER. Shows me in business on several legs but those are actually economy or premium economy seats... shows nothing under one of the legs which I now have an economy seat for... and then the initial outbound shows me with TWO different seats or persons on the first leg and on the return. WEIRD!

Old Nov 15, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
No, and I just looked at the original receipt or confirmation, it's even WEIRDER. Shows me in business on several legs but those are actually economy or premium economy seats... shows nothing under one of the legs which I now have an economy seat for... and then the initial outbound shows me with TWO different seats or persons on the first leg and on the return. WEIRD!
I suspect this is the 3rd case today of AA's poor IT implementation. The duplicate segments are likely the 'waitlisted' segments and you actually haven't cleared yet. There was another thread a few months back where the OP thought he had cleared and was furious with AA when he got 'downgraded'. However, I think we concluded he actually had never been cleared and got confused when the site or email showed both the confirmed and waitlisted segments.
Carolina2Cali and JJeffrey like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I've seen the waitlisted segments once or twice over the decades. They actually can allow for seat selection, but they are *NOT* a confirmed upgrade. Just an I.T. bug. I'm not sure what keystrokes happened to make them show, but I have seen it before. I've also seen the extra segments when protected on flights during IRROPS. And I could select a seat - and it did stick if I needed that flight.
Carolina2Cali and JJeffrey like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I suspect this is the 3rd case today of AA's poor IT implementation. The duplicate segments are likely the 'waitlisted' segments and you actually haven't cleared yet. There was another thread a few months back where the OP thought he had cleared and was furious with AA when he got 'downgraded'. However, I think we concluded he actually had never been cleared and got confused when the site or email showed both the confirmed and waitlisted segments.
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
I've seen the waitlisted segments once or twice over the decades. They actually can allow for seat selection, but they are *NOT* a confirmed upgrade. Just an I.T. bug. I'm not sure what keystrokes happened to make them show, but I have seen it before. I've also seen the extra segments when protected on flights during IRROPS. And I could select a seat - and it did stick if I needed that flight.
Does the fact I have an actual seat selected for the first leg in business and showing in my app help me at all? Anyone recall if the old post OP had an actual seat? God forbid I end up in a middle row if I don't officially clear... aye aye aye.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Does the fact I have an actual seat selected for the first leg in business and showing in my app help me at all? Anyone recall if the old post OP had an actual seat? God forbid I end up in a middle row if I don't officially clear... aye aye aye.
No, seats showing doesn’t matter if you haven’t cleared. Your coach seat should still be good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.