Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What is the AA dress code? Specifically policy on bull style nose rings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...

Let me preface by saying a few weeks ago I went to Folsom St fair. I love some good kink and uniqueness. That being said... the FA on todays flight in business / domestic first from MIA to Dallas was not wearing a large metal bull nose ring when we entered the plane (though there wasn't much of a greeting by him or the other gal). During the flight he WAS wearing it. She too had a tiny side dot nose ring but this is less objectionable to a certain crowd, especially when flying to Texas. When we departed he wasn't wearing it again. This makes me believe it's against policy and he was risking no one would tattle? I'm not naming names because as a pizza delivery guy in West Hollywood, CA I would often turn my hat backwards and unbutton a few shirt buttons for extra tips which wasn't policy. But I am definitely curious! Risky if against policy.

There were other fouls on this flight like how they didn't engage the business class curtain on a fully packed flight and the economy passengers started lining up at the front of economy to use the front lav, aka right by my front row economy seat, but that's not the primary purpose of this post. None the less must have annoyed someone up in the first few rows and could ALMOST be considered grouping up near the pilots had they been any further rows ahead.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
They are not permitted, AFAIK. This is the standards from 2021, it may have changed since.

Personally, i dont care. Given the multitude of issues with US Airline service standards (or lack thereof) and some FAs treating passengers like enemy combatants, there's a lot of more pressing issues.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Antarius
Personally, i dont care. Given the multitude of issues with US Airline service standards (or lack thereof) and some FAs treating passengers like enemy combatants, there's a lot of more pressing issues.
Thanks, yea, I don't actually care either but to see a guy with a big ring in his nose coming down and around serving the higher end passengers champagne etc... it seemed... odd. I was most shocked when he DIDN'T have it at the exit. Someone's gonna complain one day and he will surely be in trouble.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
My only complaint to AA would be that they have a dress code that is woefully out of date and should be updated to reflect today's societal standards. There's much more pressing concerns for AA with their customer-facing employees than things like tattoos and body piercings.
meechyathere, desafino and IggySD like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Definitely not allowed! Neither is the nose piercing of the female FA that you witnessed. They can not even wear the small plugs for nose piercings that make the hole “disappear” but keep it from closing up. Female FA’s may only wear one pair of matching earrings. Male FA’s may wear one stud earring in one ear.
I’m guessing they pursued the pax list prior to putting these in while in flight to insure no one was onboard that was AA upper mgmt and I’m willing to bet to make sure no non-revs as well, to lower their chance of getting turned in.
No visible tattoos allowed either.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 7:28 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
My only complaint to AA would be that they have a dress code that is woefully out of date and should be updated to reflect today's societal standards. There's much more pressing concerns for AA with their customer-facing employees than things like tattoos and body piercings.
I disagree totally. Allowing this sort of thing sets the rot that the crew can do as they please. I wish that we had a number that we could get a Supervisor to meet one at the gate and report this. This is an airliner not some sub-hip bar on the lower side of Manhattan, From what the OP says he wasn't the best FA of the bunch either. This may be your "societal standard" to come to work, but it is not mine or many others. It takes no money to address this concern, it takes some application.
Buster CT1K and DASRTR like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Interesting to see current policy about piercings and tattoos. I posted several years ago an experience that surprised me. AA male FA working domestic First wearing short sleeved shirt (it was a very hot summer day) had his very long pony tail placed under his shirt collar down his back ( one could see it through his white shirt) and he had a full sleeve tattoo on one arm which was covered by a flesh colored “coverage sleeve”. His behavior and service was fine. I have no personal objections to body art or piercings. But had never seen anything like that with an AA FA. And never have since. And this was, as I recall on an MD80 to give a time reference. So policies might have been different then.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
There were other fouls on this flight like how they didn't engage the business class curtain on a fully packed flight and the economy passengers started lining up at the front of economy to use the front lav, aka right by my front row economy seat, but that's not the primary purpose of this post. None the less must have annoyed someone up in the first few rows and could ALMOST be considered grouping up near the pilots had they been any further rows ahead.
That would be my primary take from this. While I may not befriend someone like you describe, I don't really care if they want to wear it. But allowing the Y pax to use the single solitary J (F) lav infuriates me. I don't really like to have to stand in the galley to take my place in queue. I'd much prefer to wait patiently in my seat until I see the light switch from Red to Green and get up then. People coming from Y (whether waiting behind the 'line' or not) mess up that plan. I'd rather have my battle limited to the 12-16 people that are supposed to be using the front lav.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dvs7310
People coming from Y (whether waiting behind the 'line' or not) mess up that plan.
And if I am in one of the first few “premium” Y rows in an aisle seat, I’d definitely not want to have a line of passengers hovering over me while waiting to bolt for the F lav the moment it opens up
PUCCI GALORE and DASRTR like this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:47 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Putting aside personal preferences on decorating one's body, the FA took the job knowing there would be a certain code of decorum. Strictly speaking, it's not really much different than if he chose to wear shorts and a tank top, is it? Op reported he was violating the published dress code on this flight, and presumably others. He can take a job elsewhere that allows him to fully express himself if he so pleases.
iskingolf and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I'm sure wearing a large nose ring is primarily there for our safety.

Now, what about some of the male FAs wearing a man-bun?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Thanks, yea, I don't actually care either but to see a guy with a big ring in his nose coming down and around serving the higher end passengers champagne etc... it seemed... odd.
Because it is odd - regardless of whether AA has bigger fish to fry. There are standards for a reason.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
to reflect today's societal standards
to which would be generally described as sloppy.
jmrp likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And if I am in one of the first few “premium” Y rows in an aisle seat, I’d definitely not want to have a line of passengers hovering over me while waiting to bolt for the F lav the moment it opens up
Which I was and I did not enjoy this.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 11:07 am

Which I was and I did not enjoy this.
You should complain about this. And if you wanted, you could choose to mention that the F/A with the nose ring did nothing to manage the issue.
DASRTR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.