Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA Issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottinaz
It would also be nice to only talk to AA once but it seems unlikely AA would be able to determine what is best for me. Better to figure it out yourself and get back to them.
I would like to thank everyone who gave me insights into this problem. This is truly the best of Flyertalk.
I would say you could do this in one phone call by researching your options before initially calling AA. In all my years flying, I've never had an airline refuse a reasonable re-route necessitated by schedule changes and IRROPS. Two calls shouldn't be necessary, but you'll obviously need to do your homework up front.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I would say you could do this in one phone call by researching your options before initially calling AA. In all my years flying, I've never had an airline refuse a reasonable re-route necessitated by schedule changes and IRROPS. Two calls shouldn't be necessary, but you'll obviously need to do your homework up front.
The problem was I got an email from AA that just said there was a problem with my flights. It did not tell me what was wrong so there was no way for me to do research on how to correct it. It would have been nice if the email had been more informative but my guess it is a form email for many different problems.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
The problem was I got an email from AA that just said there was a problem with my flights. It did not tell me what was wrong so there was no way for me to do research on how to correct it. It would have been nice if the email had been more informative but my guess it is a form email for many different problems.
If you login to look at the PNR, it's usually clear what the problem is -- segments are missing, connection is impossible, seat assignments are missing, duplicate flights for a given sector, class of service changed, etc.
ijgordon and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
If you login to look at the PNR, it's usually clear what the problem is -- segments are missing, connection is impossible, seat assignments are missing, duplicate flights for a given sector, etc.
I had a AA/BA itinerary with a similar issue that completely broke AA's computer logic. I received a similar email basically saying we don't know what to do so you need to call us. It was pretty obvious when I logged into AA.com that having a flight arriving at 9:30pm but a connecting flight leaving 6 hours earlier wasn't going to work. I researched what I wanted and then called AA and fed them my preferred options.

Because BA and AA are on different systems sometimes they just don't talk to each other except to say "does not compute", so it took a bit of work on AA's part to fix the mess in the PNR caused by the BA schedule change. Because it was an AA ticket, it was always going to be up to AA to fix it, and I knew that the computer was not going to be able to read my mind in correcting the flights to what was acceptable to me.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:23 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wrp96
I had a AA/BA itinerary with a similar issue that completely broke AA's computer logic. I received a similar email basically saying we don't know what to do so you need to call us. It was pretty obvious when I logged into AA.com that having a flight arriving at 9:30pm but a connecting flight leaving 6 hours earlier wasn't going to work. I researched what I wanted and then called AA and fed them my preferred options.

Because BA and AA are on different systems sometimes they just don't talk to each other except to say "does not compute", so it took a bit of work on AA's part to fix the mess in the PNR caused by the BA schedule change. Because it was an AA ticket, it was always going to be up to AA to fix it, and I knew that the computer was not going to be able to read my mind in correcting the flights to what was acceptable to me.
As someone who has to look at edge cases in IT systems as part of my job, I'd rather have it just go "I can't figure it out" than have someone try to program it for each edge case, as if they get it wrong, it can be even more catastrophic and give a less seasoned traveler a false sense of security.
USFlyerUS, Gerbs, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by hsumh316
I haven't seen that in quite a few years especially airports where one world airlines operate. Do any OW airlines operate out of GRZ? OP said he was upgraded on the PHX-SFO but it's not an upgrade if he was originally booked in J and I think upgrades from J to F is quite rare.
I just booked a ticket this morning with an AZ segment.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I just booked a ticket this morning with an AZ segment.
What airports are the AZ segment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.