Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA Issue

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
AA/BA Issue

So here is a new problem I have never heard of. I was booked on a 10 am flight from AGP to LHR and a 2 pm flight from LHR to PHX in PE. For some reason BA ; moved me to the 3 pm flight from AGP to LHR and AA called and said there was an issue with my reservation, in that my flight leaving AGP is after my flight from LHR leaves. So their solution is to put me on the 10 am flight from AGP to LHR and then from LHR to ORD and ORD to PHX the next day. So i said if you can put me on the 10 am flight form AGP then I can make the PHX to LHR flight where I am currently booked and have a seat assignment. Their reply is while the BA system shows you have a seat assignment in reality you do not. So they could put me on a flight the next day but they cannot issue a hotel certificate for an overnight stay in london. Could this really be true.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by scottinaz; Oct 23, 2023 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How far in advance of the departure date did BA notify you of the flight change? Was your ticket issued by AA or BA?

If BA changed you initial flight, I suspect that it is BA's responsibility to re-book you. And you might be entitled to compensation under EC 261/2004.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Also, they have a business class seat available but I would have to purchase that ticket since they cannot upgrade a PE ticket to business class.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
How far in advance of the departure date did BA notify you of the flight change? Was your ticket issued by AA or BA?

If BA changed you initial flight, I suspect that it is BA's responsibility to re-book you. And you might be entitled to compensation under EC 261/2004.
I was notified just now for a flight departing on 10/29. The ticket was issued by AA.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Part of my frustration is that they seem willing/able to do nothing to accommodate me. They could upgrade me to business class where they have a seat. They say they cannot do that and they will not even enquire if BA will do that. They can put me on the flight from LHR to PHX the next day but will not give me a hotel voucher since I have to stay the night in London. They will do absolutely nothing to help me. I said I would even accept a miiles upgrade to business class but no, BA only does that for full fare economy and i am in PE.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scottinaz
Part of my frustration is that they seem willing/able to do nothing to accommodate me. They could upgrade me to business class where they have a seat. They say they cannot do that and they will not even enquire if BA will do that. They can put me on the flight from LHR to PHX the next day but will not give me a hotel voucher since I have to stay the night in London. They will do absolutely nothing to help me. I said I would even accept a miiles upgrade to business class but no, BA only does that for full fare economy and i am in PE.
How did you leave things with AA? Did you agree to the re-routing which AA proposed?

Take a look at your rights under EC 261/2004:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...r/index_en.htm

(I'm not sure whether your situation falls under "denied boarding," "flight cancellations," or something else. But if BA has moved you from an earlier flight to a later flight without your consent, BA -- as the operating carrier -- should have some obligations to you.)

I might also give BA a call to inquire as to why you were removed from the earlier BA flight, and ask BA how they propose to remedy the situation. I would also ask them about their "duty-of-care" and "compensation" obligations under EC 261. A BA agent will likely understand what you are talking about.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

So I have now been forced to change my reservation to leave a day earlier and fly through ORD rather than directly to PHX. How do I request EC 261/2004 compensation for the loss of a days vacation and a delay in getting home?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have now been forced to change my reservation to leave a day earlier and fly through ORD rather than directly to PHX. How do I request EC 261/2004 compensation for the loss of a days vacation and a delay in getting home?
How long until your flight?

You need to deal with BA to claim any compensation but if your flight is far off (more than 14 days?) I don't think you are due anything for schedule changes. Others here will definitely be more familiar with these regulations than I am though.

Also you want the UK regulations, not the EU ones. They are basically the same though by now the case law may be a little different
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How long until your flight?

You need to deal with BA to claim any compensation but if your flight is far off (more than 14 days?) I don't think you are due anything for schedule changes. Others here will definitely be more familiar with these regulations than I am though.

Also you want the UK regulations, not the EU ones.
Incorrect: the first flight is departing from the E.U., so the E.U. regulations apply -- regardless of carrier.

The OP indicated that his flight was scheduled for later this month, so he received less than 14 days' notice.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you accept the flight changes proposed by AA? If so, that was probably a mistake.

I would call the operating carrier of the initial flight -- BA -- and ask why you were moved from the earlier flight, and how BA proposes to resolve the situation. Be sure to ask specifically about BA's "duty-of-care" and "compensation" obligations under EC 261/2004.

After the call, you might wish to post an inquiry in this thread, recounting what AA and BA told you, and asking for some guidance:

The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:30 pm

Welcome to One World hell.

I am assuming it’s an award ticket. I can assure you they (BA) screw up paid J itineraries the same and trying to get it things fixed will take hours of you life. IME, their staff and systems wouldn’t cut it in fast food restaurants.

I can only say, and most sincerely, good luck!
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I was notified just now for a flight departing on 10/29. The ticket was issued by AA.
The first BA flight to LHR out of AGP this Sunday (29 Oct) is scheduled to leave at 15:10, arriving into LHR T5 at 17:10, which unfortunately will arrive too late for a same day connection to either PHX or ORD.

My suggestion therefore would be decide if you want to leave Malaga on Sunday as originally intended or go a day earlier. BA will cover your overnight hotel cost usually up to £200, you should book this yourself and claim it back.

Forget about any comp upgrade, focus on rebooking flights that best fit your needs. Contact AA to do this.
enviroian and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA will not upgrade anyone in a situation like this and AA know that so no point in their asking.

BA does not give out hotel vouchers. It's not AAs responsibility to do so as your flight is operated by BA not AA.

But it will, as mentioned, will reimburse the cost of you paying for one plus meals (sans alcohol) and any transport costs to get to / from it and then claiming back. Thereis a claim form for retro claiming on the BA website.keep the receipts / take a phot of them

Any claim for cancelation compensation will depend on the reason why the AGP-LHR flight has been cancelled.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
The first BA flight to LHR out of AGP this Sunday (29 Oct) is scheduled to leave at 15:10, arriving into LHR T5 at 17:10, which unfortunately will arrive too late for a same day connection to either PHX or ORD.

My suggestion therefore would be decide if you want to leave Malaga on Sunday as originally intended or go a day earlier. BA will cover your overnight hotel cost usually up to £200, you should book this yourself and claim it back.

Forget about any comp upgrade, focus on rebooking flights that best fit your needs. Contact AA to do this.
If the OP was just notified yesterday about the cancellation of the earlier AGP-LHR flight on October 29, wouldn't BA also be on the hook for Euro 600 in compensation, if it does not get the OP to PHX within 4 hours of the originally scheduled arrival time?

And AA is still offering for sale the earlier AGP-LHR-PHX departure this Sunday, the 29th!

Last edited by guv1976; Oct 24, 2023 at 11:01 am
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Yes, AA agrees my original flights from AGP to LHR and LHR to PHX are still scheduled but says there are no PE seats available so if I want to take the flights I was originally scheduled to take I can either voluntarily downgrade myself to economy or I can pay the cost to upgrade from PE to business class.
The later is what really irks me the most. Remember this is not my fault yet I am the one who must make accommodations. In the past I would have thought someone at AA and BA would have said something like " we have messed up this guys schedule so lets figure out how to upgrade him to J and make this right". At this late date it is unlikely the J seat is going to generate any revenue anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.