Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Gate Agent Power Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
DFW Gate Agent Power Trip

I give up you all. I dont know what to do anymore with these ridiculous gate agents who are on power trips. Used to be just JFK & MIA for me but today it was DFW. I've actually never really had a bad FA on AA (only been flying with them for 5 years) but I've had 6 or 7 horrible gate agents. Are they not AA employees but just contracted? I dont get it how they can continue to be so rude and ridiculous.

I was stopped for my bag. Its a normal (not the small one) but totally normal NOT big roller bag. I actually switched to it 2 years ago to ensure I dont get stopped and to just make myself pack less and never check a bag again. I also realize maybe I was at fault for not boarding right away with group 1. However, I did not board late by any means. Group 3 was being called as I boarded.

At any rate the lady who checked my BP didnt say anything but just bad luck for me as I passed by her another lady was walking from the gate counter towards me and stopped me. I later found out from the FA's they had not even called up yet to tell them to check bags at this point. This lady was just nuts. Those stupid things they try to make you fit your bag into are a joke. And I am watching people walk by me with the SAME bag as me and she does nothing. Do they get a freaking bonus for gate checking bags or something, I dont get it.

So she stops me and is totally rude. And just to say this now I never once raised my voice or was rude or talked down to her in any way whatsoever. Not a single person around us or walking past even took note to our conversation b/c it was completely nice (on my part) and not loud or anything like that.

It just was lame b/c this was a 772 to MIA and coming off a recliner F flight from LAX to DFW I was going to take advantage of the lie flats and brought my thick soft blanket, flat sheet & pillow so now I had to walk onboard with all those as I had them on top of the roller bag. And then I dropped my pillow on the ground so that was botheirng me and my Ocd but then as I went to get it the gate agent dragon lady tries to insinuate I was trying to sneak on past her which was so dumb b/c I had dropped the pillow and was stepping maybe 3 feet in front of me to get it. Furthermore she then really rudely says "you need to find another spot" to take your stuff out" and then tries to move my bag and it went over my foot which hurt b/c in a very unsual instance I had flip flops on (I had just had a foot massage the at the Express spa by the AC) and walked to the gate in my flip flops. I have a red mark from this lady moving my bag over my foot.

The FA's once onboard told me to stand by the door and just grab my bag when the person came down with the bags but this didnt work as apparently A34 is an elevator gate so the bag went down that way. Both FA's were wonderful but said they cant help b/c they are not allowed to step off the plane. However, they said they are aware of some over the top gate agents. In this case with it being a widebody with huge bins in J I just couldnt understand why she didnt let me board with my bag. When I told her nicely I was in J and its a jumbo with plenty of space she of course said she doesnt care what class of cabin I am in.

I wish the FA's, whether it be mine today or just others in the past, would say something to these crazy gate agents. Seems like they dont want to get that involved and I know they have their own stuff to do. But this is now 5 times when FA's have commented how ridiculous some of these gate agents are. This same lady was the GA who boarded and walked right by me and I wanted to show her how there were bags of the same size and tons of space but I just decided not to

I think one question I have is what would happen if I just walked right past this lady and just went down the ramp. She is going to come after me and actually put her hands on me to stop me? I remember on here somene saying they did this same thing to the people that sometimes post up at LAX before security and check your BP & have from time to time said a bag is too big. However, those are definitely just contract employees who really arent going to do anything but I am not sure with a gate agent. Had I just sped up and blew her off and made it to the plane then the FA's are in charge and not her no? And assuming they were being honest with what they told me I feel they would have told her to get lost. And if she tried to go to the Captin to throw me off he would take the sides of the FA not the GA. I wish I had just blown by her and ignored her and not stopped.

Oh and my fairly new roller bag that had never been checked is not scuffed up in 2 spots.

So freaking sick of these conrol freak ridiculous GA's.
Spiff, Wembleygal, chollie and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
It just was lame b/c this was a 772 to MIA and coming off a recliner F flight from LAX to DFW I was going to take advantage of the lie flats and brought my thick soft blanket, flat sheet & pillow so now I had to walk onboard with all those as I had them on top of the roller bag.
Definitely an overzealous GA, and especially ridiculous given you were up front on a 772. I don't think I've ever been on a 777 or 787 flight over the last 20 years where there hasn't been enough room for everyone's bags.

That said...you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to board with a roller bag and a blanket, pillow, and sheet draped over the top.

Even if it all could squeeze into your bags, it just looks like a lot of stuff, and is just going to bring unnecessary attention, especially from the power trip GA type looking for a reason to make someone gate check.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 5:32 am

TLDR:
Your bag got gate checked. You had to wait at the baggage claim maybe 45 minutes. New suitcases will get scuffed even if you never check them.

Crap happens. In the grand scheme, it’s meaningless.

By letting any rude, morose, or power tripping person get under you skin like this, you’re giving them power over you.

OTOH, if this happens frequently, it could just be your bags are pushing the limits of carryon size.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 9:52 am

Did the bag fit in the sizer?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carla568
Once I was pulled over for doing 80 in a 65 zone. 80 is pretty much the minimum speed that people drive here on the highways, absent heavy traffic. Did I tell the officer that everyone drives 80 in the 65? No. Because it's irrelevant.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Ah yes, welcome to DFW. I’m so sorry you had to run into one of them. Unfortunately, they are plentiful at DFW. I’ve experienced a few of them over the years. The FA’s all know and get frustrated with them as well.
I would send in a complaint, it needs to be done. And done more often! Include praise for the FA’s and how they were great for the flight, etc. I would also shorten the email from what you have shared.

My favorite GA was several years ago when I was chaperoning the HS band trip. I had a backpack (with the binder of the kids medical releases, etc) and my handbag, both of which would fit under the seat in front of me. I also had a plastic bag from the shop across from the gate that contained 2 water bottles and a snack. I was the last to board behind our group to insure all of the kids got on. The kids had all been instructed the only thing they could bring on the plane was a backpack and the ones with clarinets, flutes, could bring their instrument. We took up the majority of the plane with our 1/2 of the band, the other 1/2 was on another plane. The GA saw I had 3 “carry on’s” and had a hissy fit right there! Going on how the flight is full, etc. Yes ma’am I know it is, I’m the chaperone that organized the trip. I opened up my backpack and just sat the plastic grocery bag on top of it, that was not enough. Good lord woman, none of the kids had a carry on. I was nice, I have to set an example for the kids after all. But it was still like, WTH did you not notice that none of them had a roller bag. I somehow got the bag shoved in the backpack enough that I could halfway zip it, she wanted it zipped up. I get on the plane and as I’m coming down the aisle the FA’s are walking towards the front and closing all of the overhead bins and all claiming they have never seen a flight that every single overhead was completely empty. I had to laugh.

But yes, even the flight crews have issues with the GA’s at DFW. Mr. DAS was on a flight from DFW-LGA to meet me this past spring. He’s all Mr, EXP get the upgrades, etc. He did not get one that flight, he was #2 on the list. When he ordered a drink the FA mentioned how much, not one to make a fuss or cause a scene he quietly asked if EXP were still getting free drinks. FA asked if he was, “yes sir”. Mr. FA came back a few minutes later and Mr. DAS said the dude was tripping over himself thanking him for flying AA and all, brought him some extra bottles and all. LOL! The FA went on to tell him that they had no paperwork on the flight of who was who, that they were not even to be working that flight but all were called in for it. Apparently, GA was not even going to let them on the plane, he went on to tell him more about that but apparently it was not good.

The FA’s have issues with them all the time. If they have to get pax to deplane, the GA’s have a fit. Because then they have to tend to them at the gate. They will also start boarding before they have been given the all clear.

With DFW being home base for AA, and prob more Non Rev, EXP and CK’s flying out of DFW than any other……. You would think that there’s been plenty of complaints about them. They definitely need some training on people skills and what constitutes a “carry on”. Then again, I’ve seen the ones that don’t give a flip and let people on with bags that are way too big.
Try flying non rev and having to go to the counter to “check in” so they know you are there. Being as nice and sweet, and all ‘don’t want to bother you” etc and not having any tag that you are EXP or your status at all. They know we have to let them know we are there but it’s like a huge hassle to them.
KansasMike likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Definitely an overzealous GA, and especially ridiculous given you were up front on a 772. I don't think I've ever been on a 777 or 787 flight over the last 20 years where there hasn't been enough room for everyone's bags.

That said...you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to board with a roller bag and a blanket, pillow, and sheet draped over the top.

Even if it all could squeeze into your bags, it just looks like a lot of stuff, and is just going to bring unnecessary attention, especially from the power trip GA type looking for a reason to make someone gate check.
Sorry maybe didnt explain it better in my rant but I had the pillow, blanket (to cover the seat) & flat sheet to cover me all in my completely legal carry on bag but once she made me check it I had to take all that out and was just saying I looked stupid with all that in my hand. It was all in my carry on until she made me check the bag.

And I told her super nicely how it was a 772 with tons of space but she did not care at all but I have to say that is the norm for these control freak agents. I mean this happened to me at JFK w/ AA and they didnt care. And at LAX they announced once "we dont care what cabin you're in, if you bag doesnt fit its not going on (short bald guy just before Covid who was always miserable and not happy at T4).
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Sorry maybe didnt explain it better in my rant but I had the pillow, blanket (to cover the seat) & flat sheet to cover me all in my completely legal carry on bag but once she made me check it I had to take all that out and was just saying I looked stupid with all that in my hand. It was all in my carry on until she made me check the bag.

And I told her super nicely how it was a 772 with tons of space but she did not care at all but I have to say that is the norm for these control freak agents. I mean this happened to me at JFK w/ AA and they didnt care. And at LAX they announced once "we dont care what cabin you're in, if you bag doesnt fit its not going on (short bald guy just before Covid who was always miserable and not happy at T4).
Somewhat off topic but my wife and I got two Away Carry-On Flex bags that we love, which are very sturdy and super light, roll very well, and fit quite a lot. But they're smaller sized so they meet Air France and some other European carrier regulations and don't attract attention for that reason. Of course if you pack a ton it might not work for you, but we loved them on our last trip to Europe.
happiest_at_40000 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by carla568
OP said:
Those stupid things they try to make you fit your bag into are a joke.
So I am going to guess it didn't. Otherwise I don't see why the OP brought up the issue of the sizer being stupid or a joke.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:25 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Despite the length of the original post it doesn't appear they actually say what happened, were they were asked to check the size of their bag or they were told they had more than a carry-on and a personal item or they were told all rollers were being checked?
I later found out from the FA's they had not even called up yet to tell them to check bags at this point.
This is not how it works anymore (even if some GA's may say this, it's not actually what is happening), the GA's will start checking bags before they get a call in most cases based on the load of the flight.

I'm not really happy with how this works these days, on my flight yesterday the GA's announced they only had room for 40 rollers on an A319 (which is obviously a ridiculously low number) and they started checking at some point, I doubt they were exactly counting. I only had a personal item on this trip so I boarded towards the end after they started checking all rollers and needless to say there was tons of empty overhead bin space while the GA's messed around with checking bags.
wrp96 and DASRTR like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Once I was pulled over for doing 80 in a 65 zone. 80 is pretty much the minimum speed that people drive here on the highways, absent heavy traffic. Did I tell the officer that everyone drives 80 in the 65? No. Because it's irrelevant.
OT, when I was a kid my mom was pulled over doing 80 in a 65 in the left lane. The officer actually said, look, everyone else is doing 85 to 90, so by going 80 you're actually causing more trouble than they are. For the past 20 years, I've never once been pulled over going with the flow of traffic.

OP's problem is (1) GA volatility is not analogous to traffic police, and (2) OP wasn't going with the flow. Flip flop blanket pillow sheet nonsense sounds like this GA's favorite kind of person to mess with.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Oct 6, 2023 at 12:18 pm Reason: 20 years not 30
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by carlosdca
So I am going to guess it didn't. Otherwise I don't see why the OP brought up the issue of the sizer being stupid or a joke.
OP is likely right that many people with similarly bulging carry-on bags (I'm guessing here the bag was soft-sided and bulging a bit) probably got past, but if you've got a bulging soft-sided carry-on it's gonna attract attention.

I always travel with hard-sided but lightweight carryons that don't bulge and explicitly are designed to fit in those sizers.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
If your bag didn't fit, that's on you - you gamble on every flight (like almost all of us do) and from time to time you lose.

However, regarding rudeness of GAs (or employees in general) should not be tolerated. Otherwise, this crap keeps happening. I've flat out told a GA before that I would no longer speak to her and then turned to their colleague and worked out whatever the issue was. Bottom line, if you are in the right, stand your ground and don't put up with their crap.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
OT, when I was a kid my mom was pulled over doing 80 in a 65 in the left lane. The officer actually said, look, everyone else is doing 85 to 90, so by going 80 you're actually causing more trouble than they are. For the past 30 years, I've never once been pulled over going with the flow of traffic.

OP's problem is (1) GA volatility is not analogous to traffic police, and (2) OP wasn't going with the flow. Flip flop blanket pillow sheet nonsense sounds like this GA's favorite kind of person to mess with.
I was pretty surprised to be pulled over TBH. It was late at night and there wasn't enough traffic for there to be a "flow" but 80 was the normal speed. I suspect he was just looking for drunk drivers and needed a pretense to pull me over. I got a written warning and was on my way. I drove 65 the rest of the way home in case he was following me and I got passed by everyone and their grandmother.

I think it is analogous. If the rule is that the bag has to fit in the sizer, it doesn't matter if other people went through with bags the same size as yours. If yours doesn't fit then it doesn't fit. Just like, it doesn't matter if other people are driving 80. If the speed limit is 65, it's 65.

"But he's doing it" didn't work in kindergarten, it doesn't work in traffic court, and it's not going to work here.
roberto99, trooper, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
I had a run in with a gate agent at DFW yesterday as well.

I was boarding a CRJ700 and my carry on doesn’t fit in the overheads so it had to be gate checked. I was in the AC and got to the gate right as boarding started (I was in FC). As I handed the GA my boarding pass she mentioned I needed to gate check my bag… my fault, I totally forgot. She took my bag and started to put one of the gate check tags on it and started pulling off an old checked bag tag off of it. I’m all good to this point…. But then she said VERY Passive aggressively under her breath “I don’t know why this is on here.” I said “sorry about that but it’s my bag and there’s no rule against it.” That was the end of it.

I probably shouldn’t have said anything back but I found it very unprofessional. How hard would it have been to just say “is it okay if remove this old tag?” Heck… saying nothing would have been better.
bchandler02 and DASRTR like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.