FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DFW Gate Agent Power Trip
View Single Post
Old Oct 6, 2023, 10:42 am
DASRTR

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Ah yes, welcome to DFW. I’m so sorry you had to run into one of them. Unfortunately, they are plentiful at DFW. I’ve experienced a few of them over the years. The FA’s all know and get frustrated with them as well.
I would send in a complaint, it needs to be done. And done more often! Include praise for the FA’s and how they were great for the flight, etc. I would also shorten the email from what you have shared.

My favorite GA was several years ago when I was chaperoning the HS band trip. I had a backpack (with the binder of the kids medical releases, etc) and my handbag, both of which would fit under the seat in front of me. I also had a plastic bag from the shop across from the gate that contained 2 water bottles and a snack. I was the last to board behind our group to insure all of the kids got on. The kids had all been instructed the only thing they could bring on the plane was a backpack and the ones with clarinets, flutes, could bring their instrument. We took up the majority of the plane with our 1/2 of the band, the other 1/2 was on another plane. The GA saw I had 3 “carry on’s” and had a hissy fit right there! Going on how the flight is full, etc. Yes ma’am I know it is, I’m the chaperone that organized the trip. I opened up my backpack and just sat the plastic grocery bag on top of it, that was not enough. Good lord woman, none of the kids had a carry on. I was nice, I have to set an example for the kids after all. But it was still like, WTH did you not notice that none of them had a roller bag. I somehow got the bag shoved in the backpack enough that I could halfway zip it, she wanted it zipped up. I get on the plane and as I’m coming down the aisle the FA’s are walking towards the front and closing all of the overhead bins and all claiming they have never seen a flight that every single overhead was completely empty. I had to laugh.

But yes, even the flight crews have issues with the GA’s at DFW. Mr. DAS was on a flight from DFW-LGA to meet me this past spring. He’s all Mr, EXP get the upgrades, etc. He did not get one that flight, he was #2 on the list. When he ordered a drink the FA mentioned how much, not one to make a fuss or cause a scene he quietly asked if EXP were still getting free drinks. FA asked if he was, “yes sir”. Mr. FA came back a few minutes later and Mr. DAS said the dude was tripping over himself thanking him for flying AA and all, brought him some extra bottles and all. LOL! The FA went on to tell him that they had no paperwork on the flight of who was who, that they were not even to be working that flight but all were called in for it. Apparently, GA was not even going to let them on the plane, he went on to tell him more about that but apparently it was not good.

The FA’s have issues with them all the time. If they have to get pax to deplane, the GA’s have a fit. Because then they have to tend to them at the gate. They will also start boarding before they have been given the all clear.

With DFW being home base for AA, and prob more Non Rev, EXP and CK’s flying out of DFW than any other……. You would think that there’s been plenty of complaints about them. They definitely need some training on people skills and what constitutes a “carry on”. Then again, I’ve seen the ones that don’t give a flip and let people on with bags that are way too big.
Try flying non rev and having to go to the counter to “check in” so they know you are there. Being as nice and sweet, and all ‘don’t want to bother you” etc and not having any tag that you are EXP or your status at all. They know we have to let them know we are there but it’s like a huge hassle to them.