Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question on Possibly Disrupting Cleared Upgrades When Altering Part of Roundtrip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on Possibly Disrupting Cleared Upgrades When Altering Part of Roundtrip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

I have a roundtrip booking from LAX to Barcelona (BCN) with a connection in JFK. My upgrade requests for the JFK-BCN flights have already been confirmed in both directions. However, I am considering changing only the return JFK-LAX flight portion of my booking. My question is - if I modify the JFK-LAX leg, could it potentially impact or unconfirm the upgrades on my BCN-JFK flights where the SWUs have already cleared? I want to alter just one segment of the roundtrip, but am concerned it may disrupt the upgrades I secured on the transatlantic flights that I do not need to change.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
You should be able to change the first leg without affecting the second one.

Are you just changing the specific LAX-JFK flight or the origin?
npretnar likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
My current booking is RT: LAX-JFK-BCN. The only flight I want to change is the return leg of JFK-LAX because I would like a bit longer layover (margin of safety should the BCN-JFK flight get delayed). Thanks!

Originally Posted by Antarius
You should be able to change the first leg without affecting the second one.

Are you just changing the specific LAX-JFK flight or the origin?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It’s possible. You shouldn’t have to do this, but we’re at the point with AA where it is prudent to 1) be very clear with the agent that you want to keep the upgrades BCN-JFK and if they can’t do that, you don’t want them making changes and 2) record the call.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Great, thanks everyone! I will probably Tweet first and see if they can help me. That way, everything is clear and in a way recorded. If that does not work, I will call.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
You should absolutely be able to do this. I have a multi-city open jaw booked into Y with cleared SWUs for mid-November --- CLT-MAD, CDG-JFK. I need to originate in Pittsburgh. I waited for Systemwide Availability on PIT-CLT and JFK-PIT to open up, and then I checked the new multi-city open-jaw price, which was actually LOWER than what I had originally paid. I called in and told the EP agent what I wanted to do. There was no "new" SWU availability on CLT-MAD, but there was on all the other legs. She informed me of this, and I asked her to keep the seat on the CLT-MAD, re-price the itinerary, and rebook, then confirm the SWUs all the way thru. She said she "didn't know if she could do this." After about 30 mins with the ticketing desk, she was able to do it. The journey re-ticketed, and I got an approximately $200 Flight Credit back because of the re-priced journey.

Bottom line: if you're already confirmed and keeping the same flights, a good agent with the help of ticketing can hold your seats, re-price the Y fare and even confirm your upgrades on originating/terminating legs of the journey prior to or after the currently-upgraded flights. Further, the itinerary will be re-priced so you may have to pay more or you may get a credit if the price is lower.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:17 pm

One thing to add ...

With SWUs and Mileage Upgrades, often the agents will confirm the seats and put you in them, but fail to completely "push" the revised itinerary all the way "through" (don't know exactly what this means), even after taking payment for any fare differences. If, while on the phone with the agent at the end of the machinations, you see any of the following:

1) Duplicate flights in your same record locator
2) Assigned seats in Biz or First, but under "upgrades" it still says "waitlisted" or something, rather than "confirmed."

... then the agent hasn't completely "finished" the reservation process, and you won't be able to check in without a major hassle. You should ask them to wait on the phone with you until everything in your record locator looks correct. If it doesn't look correct, tell them and they can fix it manually usually. I've had this happen a couple of times, so it's important to be vigilant.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Sad when one of us knows more than AA CS
Bradhattan and npretnar like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

This was incredibly helpful! I called them and was able to not just chance the flights but also get $50 back since prices had gone down. Not just that, since there was award space available in the later flight, I got that cleared as well. I don't see any duplicate flights in the same record locator ot assigned seats in Biz but under "upgrades" it still says "waitlisted" or something, rather than "confirmed." I also don't see confirmed though. Just seats in business.

Originally Posted by npretnar
One thing to add ...

With SWUs and Mileage Upgrades, often the agents will confirm the seats and put you in them, but fail to completely "push" the revised itinerary all the way "through" (don't know exactly what this means), even after taking payment for any fare differences. If, while on the phone with the agent at the end of the machinations, you see any of the following:

1) Duplicate flights in your same record locator
2) Assigned seats in Biz or First, but under "upgrades" it still says "waitlisted" or something, rather than "confirmed."

... then the agent hasn't completely "finished" the reservation process, and you won't be able to check in without a major hassle. You should ask them to wait on the phone with you until everything in your record locator looks correct. If it doesn't look correct, tell them and they can fix it manually usually. I've had this happen a couple of times, so it's important to be vigilant.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
This was incredibly helpful! I called them and was able to not just chance the flights but also get $50 back since prices had gone down. Not just that, since there was award space available in the later flight, I got that cleared as well. I don't see any duplicate flights in the same record locator ot assigned seats in Biz but under "upgrades" it still says "waitlisted" or something, rather than "confirmed." I also don't see confirmed though. Just seats in business.
so you have assigned seats in Biz/First but under upgrades it does not say “Confirmed” atop a green background?

if this is the case then something isn’t right. You should call back in and tell them that it doesn’t appear the upgrade has been fully confirmed all the way thru. You might not be able to check in otherwise.

not sure if failing to get this marked as “Confirmed” might also fail to protect it during IRROPS, but I think it’s worth getting settled before the trip gets closer
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:23 pm

As examples of why you want to get this figured out, I have 2 anecdotes where the agents failed to fully push this all the way thru (i.e., I had confirmed seats but the upgrade wasn’t fully processed off the waitlist).

One, I was departing DFW on an international and a supervisor had to be called over to call the ticketing desk and re-issue the ticket day of departure because the original ticket number for the Y fare was still on the ticket, not the new ticket number associated with the upgrade instrument. Thankfully, I was at the mothership and it was fixed.

Another time, I was originating in PIT, connecting in CLT on a TATL. I had a confirmed seat in J due to having a SWU applied. The check in agent literally asked me “do you have your paper upgrade?” He was probably an old US Airways agent, but this was in 2019, so 4 years after the merger, and he still had no idea what an SWU was. His system told him that he needed to confirm the SWU was applied, and the IT called it a “paper upgrade” or something, to distinguish it from a “sticker upgrade.” I showed him my emails and he eventually got it straightened out when he got on the horn with ticketing, but I was worried he was going to downgrade me or something.

Anyway, it’s probably a known issue by now, so you shouldn’t have a problem, but better safe than sorry I think.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Those are quite the upgrade scenarios and examples of how the SWU process can go awry.! Appreciate the details. I just checked the AA app, and things seems in order – it says 'Confirmed' in green under the 'upgrade' tab, no double confirmations on the main screen, and I've got the $50 credit for the fare difference.

As examples of why you want to get this figured out, I have 2 anecdotes where the agents failed to fully push this all the way thru (i.e., I had confirmed seats but the upgrade wasn’t fully processed off the waitlist).

One, I was departing DFW on an international and a supervisor had to be called over to call the ticketing desk and re-issue the ticket day of departure because the original ticket number for the Y fare was still on the ticket, not the new ticket number associated with the upgrade instrument. Thankfully, I was at the mothership and it was fixed.

Another time, I was originating in PIT, connecting in CLT on a TATL. I had a confirmed seat in J due to having a SWU applied. The check in agent literally asked me “do you have your paper upgrade?” He was probably an old US Airways agent, but this was in 2019, so 4 years after the merger, and he still had no idea what an SWU was. His system told him that he needed to confirm the SWU was applied, and the IT called it a “paper upgrade” or something, to distinguish it from a “sticker upgrade.” I showed him my emails and he eventually got it straightened out when he got on the horn with ticketing, but I was worried he was going to downgrade me or something.

Anyway, it’s probably a known issue by now, so you shouldn’t have a problem, but better safe than sorry I think.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing to add ...

With SWUs and Mileage Upgrades, often the agents will confirm the seats and put you in them, but fail to completely "push" the revised itinerary all the way "through" (don't know exactly what this means),
I've never had this issue so I can't be completely sure what the problem is, but I suspect it's that they haven't reissued the ticket. You should get a confirmation email (just like when you booked originally) with a new ticket number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.