Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

US to SYD via LAX in F - Award Deals for August 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA

Just booked for 84k miles one way in F from XXX-LAX-SYD. There were plenty of dates at this price in August. Maybe this is posted and known about but I thought it was a steal (even for very off season in Australia). Using it as a jumping off point to Bali!
Old Jul 5, 2023, 5:26 pm

With all of the Australia/NZ flights UA is adding this year together with more QF flights coming, we could be heading into an over-capacity situation for awhile which should/might yield some pretty good deals on AA as well as the others.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
With all of the Australia/NZ flights UA is adding this year together with more QF flights coming, we could be heading into an over-capacity situation for awhile which should/might yield some pretty good deals on AA as well as the others.
I agree, and great news in a traditionally difficult award market (and premium cash market). I have seen and heard lots of people complaining about finding award availability to Asia in coming months and this could make sense for some.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AA international First is utter garbage, but at 84K it's a good deal for what is nothing more than Business Class with soup.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA international First is utter garbage, but at 84K it's a good deal for what is nothing more than Business Class with soup.
agreed. Business class is 72k. Save the miles.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Agreed. I won't eat and am secretly hoping for IRROPS and a switch to QF (I've padded my schedule by a few days) But for 84k to Australia and use of the QF lounge at LAX I didn't think it was too bad. The personal space alone is worth (over J) it for me on a 15 hour flight.
SFO777, FAA1996, ryanbriar and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nw6338
Agreed. I won't eat and am secretly hoping for IRROPS and a switch to QF (I've padded my schedule by a few days) But for 84k to Australia and use of the QF lounge at LAX I didn't think it was too bad. The personal space alone is worth (over J) it for me on a 15 hour flight.
Having just recently flown AA FF JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-JFK, 84k miles is an absolute steal and a no-brainer IMHO. While the business class seats are certainly adequate, I did find FF to feel much more private and tranquil for these long-hauls. The food is not so great, but the service was top-notch and access to the QF F Lounges at LAX and SYD are certainly worth the price of admission for a hearty meal before the flights (and a massage in SYD).
taxatty56 and gophish11 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
As I agree with you I’m also curious as to what AF’s redemption levels are for their international F seats. I imagine quite high.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by enviroian
As I agree with you I’m also curious as to what AF’s redemption levels are for their international F seats. I imagine quite high.
AF? Or QF?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
AF? Or QF?
Air France. I know it's Sky Team but I was just curious.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Air France. I know it's Sky Team but I was just curious.
not an option to use miles for AF F unless you have highest status on AF. Flying blue miles are probably a tough option to ANZ in general if that was your point.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 9:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I needed AA Flagship F as some kind of floor to critique other airlines properly:

Originally Posted by percysmith
I've taken some AA this year, both in the back and Flagship First, and no way has things with CX sunk to that low.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not an option to use miles for AF F unless you have highest status on AF. Flying blue miles are probably a tough option to ANZ in general if that was your point.
ANZ wasn't my point more or less, my point was what does it take miles wise to book a transatlantic AF F using miles. I think you answered my question. Flying blue is their EXP equivalent?
Old Jul 5, 2023, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

ANZ wasn't my point more or less, my point was what does it take miles wise to book a transatlantic AF F using miles. I think you answered my question. Flying blue is their EXP equivalent?
Yep, you have to have Flying Blue Platinum or pay cash to fly AF F.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 12:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Yep, you have to have Flying Blue Platinum or pay cash to fly AF F.
Although my understanding is that there are sometimes reasonable buy-up offers close to departure/check-in if you're booked in J (revenue or award).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.