Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can you get a refund if award ticket mileage drops?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you get a refund if award ticket mileage drops?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ross0
Great that it worked out this time, but still doesn't mean this practice can't work against you. Who knows what price may have dropped to if you weren't holding up those 2 seats at 450pp.
I do understand your point. I am still happy with how I booked this and will continue to monitor it.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I do understand your point. I am still happy with how I booked this and will continue to monitor it.
Yup, saved a ton of miles!
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by guv1976
AAdvantage flight awards -- at least, those involving only AA flights, which are the awards where redemption rates can change over time -- are not changeable. You must cancel and rebook (though not necessarily in that order) if you wish to take advantage of a reduced redemption rate.
Thanks for the clarification. I did not realize that.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
One thing I suggest: book one ways for award tickets. If you are into the repricing/cancellation game, you might get burned if one segment drops from say, 17,500 miles to 10,000 but owing to demand, the return portion increased from 17,5000 miles to 30,000. You wind up being in a net loss position.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Ross0
AA's systems have become a lot smarter at preventing double bookings so this is difficult. Of course, in an attempt to become smarter, AA's system has become dumber as the system frequently shows dupes when they're not really there -- e.g., if I I book an award ticket for someone else while logged into my AA.com account, I cannot then go book that same itinerary for a different passenger while logged into my account. AA.com refuses to do so and says the reason is a double booking when that's not in fact true as the flights are for completely different passengers, only similarity is both bookings were made from the same AAdvantage account.
AA's system has definitely gotten much more aggressive recently. I had a DCA-Caribbean trip booked and ticketed, but was reconsidering a different Caribbean destination. Same return date but a different outbound date. AA's system unilaterally canceled the second booking (which was on hold) about 4 hours after I put it on hold.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
One thing I suggest: book one ways for award tickets. If you are into the repricing/cancellation game, you might get burned if one segment drops from say, 17,500 miles to 10,000 but owing to demand, the return portion increased from 17,5000 miles to 30,000. You wind up being in a net loss position.
That's true. But the problem is that, these days, roundtrip awards sometimes cost fewer miles than the sum of two one-ways. So no matter how you book the trip, you are taking on some risk.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
That's true. But the problem is that, these days, roundtrip awards sometimes cost fewer miles than the sum of two one-ways. So no matter how you book the trip, you are taking on some risk.
To complicate and make this even more difficult/confusing -- often times the round-trip is cheaper than booking two one-ways, but buyer beware. Apparently, you cannot make any changes to the return portion before the outbound is flown. Attempting to do so means you have to cancel the entire R/T ticket. However, after you fly the outbound, you can cancel the return and get a refund for that one-way return segment. This makes zero sense to me and seems to be inefficient for both passengers and the company.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
5 minutes ago I discovered the 26.5K FC routing I paid, dropped to 18K for same routing. Couldn't change online due to other "duplicate" booking, so opened second window to "hold" the cheaper mileage booking, while I canceled booking in first window. Then rebooked in second window. All went smooth and the difference in miles returned within 2 minutes.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 8:58 pm

I have a flight booked from Barcelona to Nashville for next May. There is now a flight available same route the next day. I want to cancel my awards tickets that I have booked and get the miles refunded. I am just trying to confirm if there is a chance that I would not get the $45 fee refunded also. When I try to search online, it states something about not refunding fees that are imposed whether you fly or not. Has anybody experienced not receiving your fee back in this situation. I have been on hold going on 3 hours, and no answer when I try to call them yet. Once I cancel I will rebook.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by LOVETOGO1
I have a flight booked from Barcelona to Nashville for next May. There is now a flight available same route the next day. I want to cancel my awards tickets that I have booked and get the miles refunded. I am just trying to confirm if there is a chance that I would not get the $45 fee refunded also. When I try to search online, it states something about not refunding fees that are imposed whether you fly or not. Has anybody experienced not receiving your fee back in this situation. I have been on hold going on 3 hours, and no answer when I try to call them yet. Once I cancel I will rebook.
I just got through to somebody and she answered my question. When booking with miles, she said you never have to worry about that. I hope that is correct.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
5 minutes ago I discovered the 26.5K FC routing I paid, dropped to 18K for same routing. Couldn't change online due to other "duplicate" booking, so opened second window to "hold" the cheaper mileage booking, while I canceled booking in first window. Then rebooked in second window. All went smooth and the difference in miles returned within 2 minutes.
LOL...I just checked again and price dropped by another 500 miles via change flights....of course I changed flights again to same routing! Thanks AA!
Old Aug 28, 2023, 9:46 pm

I sorta lied accidentally. Same original routing was available at lower cost GRR-CLT-JFK but I actually changed to GRR-DCA-JFK for same 500 mile discount

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.