Wiki Posts
Search

American changed award flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Unhappy American changed award flight

Hello everybody,

Back in March I booked a reward flight with American from PIT to SNA for August. I didn't realize until now that they had changed my flight in April to a different flight that leaves almost two hours earlier. The new flight leaves at 530 AM, the old one left at 720 AM. Is there anything I can do? The original flight is still available only for cash purchase. When I called in, the only thing customer service could tell me was that it was due to a schedule change......
Old Jul 11, 2023, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ZDog377
Hello everybody,

Back in March I booked a reward flight with American from PIT to SNA for August. I didn't realize until now that they had changed my flight in April to a different flight that leaves almost two hours earlier. The new flight leaves at 530 AM, the old one left at 720 AM. Is there anything I can do? The original flight is still available only for cash purchase. When I called in, the only thing customer service could tell me was that it was due to a schedule change......
Just research whatever new flight option you would like, then call AA and ask specifically to be moved to that due to the schedule change.

This happens all the time, there was most likely a minor change on your original itinerary which caused the computer to auto rebook you on something totally different.
yakel and SeatOfMyPants like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just research whatever new flight option you would like, then call AA and ask specifically to be moved to that due to the schedule change.

This happens all the time, there was most likely a minor change on your original itinerary which caused the computer to auto rebook you on something totally different.
Even if the flight option I would like doesn't show as available as a reward flight anymore? I'm confused as to why it is available as a paying flight but I can't book it as a reward flight.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Even if the flight option I would like doesn't show as available as a reward flight anymore? I'm confused as to why it is available as a paying flight but I can't book it as a reward flight.
Yes, when schedule changes happen it doesn't matter whether there is award availability or not.

In fact when you call back, don't even mention anything about this being an award flight. Just tell them your PNR, mention there was a schedule change where the new flights don't work, and ask specifically to be moved back to your original flights (or whatever new flight options you find).

If you get a bad agent that says there's no award space on the new flights so they can't move you, remind them that this is AA's schedule change that caused the problem and ask them to escalate to their supervisor or rate desk to move you.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm going to call this morning and will let you know what they say.
aisleorwindow and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I'm good to go, they changed it without a problem. Worst part was waiting for the call back and then the wait time during the transfer
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:38 pm

Glad it worked out; just keep monitoring because it could happen again.

Last edited by yakel; Jul 11, 2023 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 11, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by yakel
Glad it worked out; just keep monitoring because it could happen again.
It could, but for a flight in August, it is probably not going to.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:22 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Looks like I'm good to go, they changed it without a problem. Worst part was waiting for the call back and then the wait time during the transfer
Great. I do recommend using twitter DM for that. A lot easier than the calls and usually gets it done. It's the only thing I use twitter for - changing flights
wrp96, goldengate and iplaybass like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:25 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Great. I do recommend using twitter DM for that. A lot easier than the calls and usually gets it done. It's the only thing I use twitter for - changing flights
i second this. But you can also get a bad twitter agent also. Had that happen recently. Waited a couple days and reapproached (equivalent of HUACA) and got it taken care of in a jif
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:51 am
Original Poster

It's still not showing changed and I haven't received an email confirmation yet. I'll wait until tomorrow and then call again I guess.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It's still not showing changed and I haven't received an email confirmation yet. I'll wait until tomorrow and then call again I guess.
Where is it not showing as changed? Normally, these changes appear instantly on AA.com and in the app. If you're still seeing the old itinerary, I'd call now as something may have gone wrong.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Where is it not showing as changed? Normally, these changes appear instantly on AA.com and in the app. If you're still seeing the old itinerary, I'd call now as something may have gone wrong.
It's still not showing on the site.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
It's still not showing on the site.
Call AA.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Yep. If you don't see the change reflected immediately, something didn't take. Call back.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.