FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   American changed award flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2128089-american-changed-award-flight.html)

ZDog377 Jul 11, 2023 7:46 am

American changed award flight

Hello everybody,

Back in March I booked a reward flight with American from PIT to SNA for August. I didn't realize until now that they had changed my flight in April to a different flight that leaves almost two hours earlier. The new flight leaves at 530 AM, the old one left at 720 AM. Is there anything I can do? The original flight is still available only for cash purchase. When I called in, the only thing customer service could tell me was that it was due to a schedule change......

JJeffrey Jul 11, 2023 7:57 am

Originally Posted by ZDog377 (Post 35403829)
Hello everybody,

Back in March I booked a reward flight with American from PIT to SNA for August. I didn't realize until now that they had changed my flight in April to a different flight that leaves almost two hours earlier. The new flight leaves at 530 AM, the old one left at 720 AM. Is there anything I can do? The original flight is still available only for cash purchase. When I called in, the only thing customer service could tell me was that it was due to a schedule change......

Just research whatever new flight option you would like, then call AA and ask specifically to be moved to that due to the schedule change.

This happens all the time, there was most likely a minor change on your original itinerary which caused the computer to auto rebook you on something totally different.

ZDog377 Jul 11, 2023 8:00 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35403853)
Just research whatever new flight option you would like, then call AA and ask specifically to be moved to that due to the schedule change.

This happens all the time, there was most likely a minor change on your original itinerary which caused the computer to auto rebook you on something totally different.

Even if the flight option I would like doesn't show as available as a reward flight anymore? I'm confused as to why it is available as a paying flight but I can't book it as a reward flight.

JJeffrey Jul 11, 2023 8:06 am

Originally Posted by ZDog377 (Post 35403861)
Even if the flight option I would like doesn't show as available as a reward flight anymore? I'm confused as to why it is available as a paying flight but I can't book it as a reward flight.

Yes, when schedule changes happen it doesn't matter whether there is award availability or not.

In fact when you call back, don't even mention anything about this being an award flight. Just tell them your PNR, mention there was a schedule change where the new flights don't work, and ask specifically to be moved back to your original flights (or whatever new flight options you find).

If you get a bad agent that says there's no award space on the new flights so they can't move you, remind them that this is AA's schedule change that caused the problem and ask them to escalate to their supervisor or rate desk to move you.

ZDog377 Jul 11, 2023 8:26 am

Thanks. I'm going to call this morning and will let you know what they say.

ZDog377 Jul 11, 2023 2:34 pm

Looks like I'm good to go, they changed it without a problem. Worst part was waiting for the call back and then the wait time during the transfer

yakel Jul 11, 2023 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by ZDog377 (Post 35403861)

Glad it worked out; just keep monitoring because it could happen again.

Cledaybuck Jul 11, 2023 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by yakel (Post 35404932)
Glad it worked out; just keep monitoring because it could happen again.

It could, but for a flight in August, it is probably not going to.

flying_geek Jul 12, 2023 4:22 am

Originally Posted by ZDog377 (Post 35404917)
Looks like I'm good to go, they changed it without a problem. Worst part was waiting for the call back and then the wait time during the transfer

Great. I do recommend using twitter DM for that. A lot easier than the calls and usually gets it done. It's the only thing I use twitter for - changing flights

geepmaley Jul 12, 2023 6:25 am

Originally Posted by flying_geek (Post 35406238)
Great. I do recommend using twitter DM for that. A lot easier than the calls and usually gets it done. It's the only thing I use twitter for - changing flights

i second this. But you can also get a bad twitter agent also. Had that happen recently. Waited a couple days and reapproached (equivalent of HUACA) and got it taken care of in a jif

ZDog377 Jul 12, 2023 8:51 am

It's still not showing changed and I haven't received an email confirmation yet. I'll wait until tomorrow and then call again I guess.

USFlyerUS Jul 12, 2023 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ZDog377 (Post 35406829)
It's still not showing changed and I haven't received an email confirmation yet. I'll wait until tomorrow and then call again I guess.

Where is it not showing as changed? Normally, these changes appear instantly on AA.com and in the app. If you're still seeing the old itinerary, I'd call now as something may have gone wrong.

ZDog377 Jul 12, 2023 9:09 am

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS (Post 35406853)
Where is it not showing as changed? Normally, these changes appear instantly on AA.com and in the app. If you're still seeing the old itinerary, I'd call now as something may have gone wrong.

It's still not showing on the site.

USFlyerUS Jul 12, 2023 9:17 am

Originally Posted by ZDog377 (Post 35406890)
It's still not showing on the site.

Call AA.

asf-07 Jul 12, 2023 10:23 am

Yep. If you don't see the change reflected immediately, something didn't take. Call back.