Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled flight comes back alive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Cancelled flight comes back alive

I was booked on LIT-CLT-ATL this week. I checked a bag and while waiting to board in LIT, my phone starts blowing up with AA alerts.....cascading delays on the CLT-ATL portion (AA5275), and after 8-10 delays that added 4 hours onto the trip, the CLT-ATL segment cancelled. I got on a Delta LIT-ATL flight and when I got to ATL, I started looking to see where my bag was (still on AA), and the thing made it to CLT and was being loaded onto the CLT-ATL flight, which was back alive. I'm ticked off bc I lost out on Loyalty Points, upgraded flights (I'm ExP), and the Delta flight was an expensive nonstop. My bag made it to ATL fine.....a cancelled flight doesn't trigger anything in the system to have the ground crew pull a bag or whatever. Would you ask AA for any compensation? Lost opportunity for miles is a factor, but I'm more annoyed at the 11 x $250 LP. .
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:06 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joeyE
I was booked on LIT-CLT-ATL this week. I checked a bag and while waiting to board in LIT, my phone starts blowing up with AA alerts.....cascading delays on the CLT-ATL portion (AA5275), and after 8-10 delays that added 4 hours onto the trip, the CLT-ATL segment cancelled. I got on a Delta LIT-ATL flight and when I got to ATL, I started looking to see where my bag was (still on AA), and the thing made it to CLT and was being loaded onto the CLT-ATL flight, which was back alive. I'm ticked off bc I lost out on Loyalty Points, upgraded flights (I'm ExP), and the Delta flight was an expensive nonstop. My bag made it to ATL fine.....a cancelled flight doesn't trigger anything in the system to have the ground crew pull a bag or whatever. Would you ask AA for any compensation? Lost opportunity for miles is a factor, but I'm more annoyed at the 11 x $250 LP. .
I've had the same thing happen (a cancelled flight get reinstated), as they "didn't" have a crew (a deadheading crew had stepped up to operate the flight, but the left hand wasn't talking to the right).
Did you have AA rebook you on the Delta nonstop? If so you can request original routing credit to get those LPs.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage
If AA rebooked you on DL you can ask for original flight credit. As far as bags, if your flight is cancelled AA will not offload your bag even if you're forced to overnight. Usually you will either need to get an AC staff member involved or stand in line at the baggage claim office and hope somewhere there will get it back for you. Primary reason I rarely check a bag.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S80

Did you have AA rebook you on the Delta nonstop? If so you can request original routing credit to get those LPs.
Nah, Unfortunately the ExP line had a 55-minute hold time at 12 noon. I booked the DL ticket myself as the LIT-ATL gate agents were starting the pre-board announcements and time was short. AA eventually called me back as the DL flight was taxiing. I will write a letter asking for original routing credit. I like that terminology, and I've found AA to be amenable to compensation when a reasonable request is asked.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by joeyE
Nah, Unfortunately the ExP line had a 55-minute hold time at 12 noon. I booked the DL ticket myself as the LIT-ATL gate agents were starting the pre-board announcements and time was short. AA eventually called me back as the DL flight was taxiing.
IMHO NEVER ask for a callback. if you do it will take that 55 minutes, give or take. if you stay on hold, it will NEVER take nearly as long as the estimate claims. Ive had the system tell me the hold time was 2 hours to have an agent on the phone in 10 minutes as executive platinum.

keep in mind this is just my experience. your mileage may vary.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:43 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stant
IMHO NEVER ask for a callback. if you do it will take that 55 minutes, give or take. if you stay on hold, it will NEVER take nearly as long as the estimate claims. Ive had the system tell me the hold time was 2 hours to have an agent on the phone in 10 minutes as executive platinum.

Same with the chat agents, the estimate is way shorter, although in situations like these I feel like they are slower since they are dealing with multiple people at once.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Sure, but in non-urgent, non-IROPs situations (i.e. most of the times I call) I've got better things to do than sit on hold, and getting a callback later even if takes a bit longer is better than sitting there on hold. And it doesn't matter if it's 25 or 35 minutes (or whatever) when I talk to the agent.
Cledaybuck likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Generally you can expect ORC if AA rerouted you, or a refund if they didn’t reroute you and instead you went out and bought a different flight. But not both. Unfortunately since you rebooked yourself onto DL - even though it might have been for good reasons - AA is not likely to give you credit for the unflown AA ticket.
LowValueCustomer and buschoi like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:28 pm

In all sincerity, you rerouted off line, direct, and you’re upset about twenty-sum-hundred LPs??

With all of the WX and or ATC issues this week, there’s at least a couple thousand people that got stranded and would have gladly traded outcomes.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Generally you can expect ORC if AA rerouted you, or a refund if they didn’t reroute you and instead you went out and bought a different flight. But not both. Unfortunately since you rebooked yourself onto DL - even though it might have been for good reasons - AA is not likely to give you credit for the unflown AA ticket.
I neglected to mention that I cancelled with AA using twitter once I boarded the DL flight. The flight credits with correct dollar value (2 credits...1 per segment) have since appeared in my wallet without any nudging, so I'm in good shape there, and blown away at the same time that AA's automation got that done.....
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Often true but I’ve been on hold for as long as the quoted call back time.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by bse118
Sure, but in non-urgent, non-IROPs situations (i.e. most of the times I call) I've got better things to do than sit on hold, and getting a callback later even if takes a bit longer is better than sitting there on hold. And it doesn't matter if it's 25 or 35 minutes (or whatever) when I talk to the agent.
if it's not urgent and you have better thigns to do, then you probably arent worried how long it takes to get attention to your concerns.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
if it's not urgent and you have better thigns to do, then you probably arent worried how long it takes to get attention to your concerns.
yes, that is literally what I said.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by bse118
yes, that is literally what I said.
i know, and your response was literally 180 degrees opposite of the scenario being discussed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.