Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER
Main Cabin layout

Image: aerolopa.com
Note, the seating chart displayed in post #1 is out of date and should be disregarded. Same goes for seatguru.

General information
The Main Cabin layout is standardised across the entire Boeing 777-200ER fleet, so economy seat assignments are protected in the event of an aircraft switching from type 1 to type 2 (or vice versa)

Main Cabin Extra:
Safran (formerly Weber) 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 34" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan the MCE seats are indicated with orange accents

Main Cabin:
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 31" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan these seats are indicated with red accents

Wifi:
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

IFE:
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

Seat observations and recommendations
Row 17: the bulkhead partitions are raised on steel pedestals affording these seats additional foot space
20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware as reports here suggest these seats do not offer additional leg room
Print Wikipost

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Rows 13-15 are 2-4-2 and labeled MCE, not PE on my flight from DFW-LAX. I can't find any info on these in this thread.
Row 13 is bulkhead, is it better than 17 bulkhead wrt leg room?
Old Mar 23, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by weezl
Rows 13-15 are 2-4-2 and labeled MCE, not PE on my flight from DFW-LAX. I can't find any info on these in this thread.
Don’t know if you are going to get answer with respect to leg room - both are bulkhead. But Row 13 has better (Premium Economy) seats even if PE is not sold on domestic flights.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by weezl
These are the International premium economy seats (MCE domestic) that you can select for free (if you have status) on a domestic flight, as noted in the last post. Personally, I think the bulkhead is the best of the "premium economy" seats. Service is exactly the same as economy, when flying domestic, as they are just MCE seats..

Last edited by steamboatdevil; Mar 23, 2024 at 11:29 pm
Old Apr 6, 2024, 9:05 pm
SCS

Originally Posted by dwcatty
I'll answer my own question for posterity. I went ahead and booked row 20 for our ten hour FRA-CLT flight this week. The DEGH seats in row 20 have just as much leg room as those in rows 17, 18 & 19. I measured the space from the front of the arm rest to the back of the seat in front (my wife carries a tape measure for buying fabric) and rows 17-20 measured 18 inches, while row 21 in regular coach measured 13 inches. The extra five inches made a world of difference on the ten hour flight.
Thanks for this report. If I'm understanding correctly, you determined that the bulkhead seats (row 17) have no extra legroom relative to 18/19/20? (Except to the extent they don't suffer from the seat in front reclining into your space.) If that's the case, row 17 may be a bad choice because you trade the narrower seat (due to fixed armrest containing video screen) for no legroom improvement...
Old Apr 7, 2024, 5:16 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SCS
If I'm understanding correctly, you determined that the bulkhead seats (row 17) have no extra legroom relative to 18/19/20?
Well, to be honest I did not measure or inspect row 17. I only actually measured 19 & 20 & 21, relying on previous reports that 17-19 had extra pitch and 20 was questionable. My focus was, Does row 20 have the extra pitch? And it did.

FWIW, we flew United going over on a 777-200 and had bulkhead in Premium Plus, there was extra legroom at the bottom in that row and the console swiveled up on it's own arm which did not affect seat width, as I recall. Someone else will need to address the bulkhead on American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.