Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
American Airlines Boeing 777-200ER
Main Cabin layout

Image: aerolopa.com
Note, the seating chart displayed in post #1 is out of date and should be disregarded. Same goes for seatguru.

General information
The Main Cabin layout is standardised across the entire Boeing 777-200ER fleet, so economy seat assignments are protected in the event of an aircraft switching from type 1 to type 2 (or vice versa)

Main Cabin Extra:
Safran (formerly Weber) 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 34" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan the MCE seats are indicated with orange accents

Main Cabin:
Safran 5751 slimline seats configured 3-4-3 arranged with a 31" pitch; 9" screens.

In the seat plan these seats are indicated with red accents

Wifi:
Panasonic high speed satellite wifi

IFE:
Panasonic eX2 AVOD in-flight entertainment system with Live TV

Seat observations and recommendations
Row 17: the bulkhead partitions are raised on steel pedestals affording these seats additional foot space
20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware as reports here suggest these seats do not offer additional leg room
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus

As the 777-200ERs now all have the same main cabin & MCE layouts (irrespective of business class seat type), our good friend Prospero has suggested that we create a single thread to discus main cabin & MCE seating on this aircraft. Rather than merge them together and potentially create difficult-to-follow conversations as individual posts are feathered together in chronological order, I've opted to open a new thread to discuss seating here, and leave the two previous ones archived and available for reference here:

Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777” C37 Zodiac Main Cabin & Extra / MCE (archive)
Best Economy Seat 777-200 “777" C37 Super Diamond Main Cabin & Extra MCE (archive)

~Moderator
Old Jun 2, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Thanks for this. I'm still curious about the statement in the wiki, "20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware as reports here suggest these seats do not offer additional leg room." Would love to hear any reports/updates on this as I'm considering paying to move into them on a 10 hour FRA-CLT flight later this year. Curiously, even the seating chart on the web page shows less space between the rows.

Interesting that they also show leess space between the rows for those in row 29 as well. Of course this may just be a function that in both cabins the seats between the aisle and the window have standard legroom and for the purposes of this diagram they can't diferentiate.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 6:41 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Thanks for this. I'm still curious about the statement in the wiki, "20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware as reports here suggest these seats do not offer additional leg room." Would love to hear any reports/updates on this as I'm considering paying to move into them on a 10 hour FRA-CLT flight later this year. Curiously, even the seating chart on the web page shows less space between the rows.

Interesting that they also show leess space between the rows for those in row 29 as well. Of course this may just be a function that in both cabins the seats between the aisle and the window have standard legroom and for the purposes of this diagram they can't diferentiate.
For the most part I'm going to trust https://www.aerolopa.com/aa-772-type-1 which correlates with 20DEGH has having extra legroom, but I have not personally checked on board. I would not trust AA's seat map in accurately showing the placements of seats in the cabin at all, as it's likely just done by taking the leftmost seat and basing the distance of the whole row on that, and does not accurately show seats that are staggered (such as in the forward J cabin).
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhear
We'll be on AA235 from FCO-JFK in May with my husband who gets airsick if he can't see out a window . Can anyone offer info on which seats on the 777-200ER have missing or misaligned windows? I checked Seatguru and I'm not seeing any seat details in the hover-text on the seat map.

Gleaned from other posts:
Row 26 - No window
Row 18 - Misaligned window

This is a pretty accurate assessment. I’ll add a further caution against row 18, which is if the occupant in 17A/L reclines, you’ll lose entirely the already limited opportunity of a view
Is this assessment of which seats have misaligned or missing windows still correct?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34187936-post58.html
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Any thoughts on seats for two people with no status not paying extra for MCE? Does it matter? Would row 36 be a decent choice since there are only two or just pick the furthest forward free seats?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by overhear
Is this assessment of which seats have misaligned or missing windows still correct?
Yes, row 18 on any of the 772 configurations still has a misaligned window. No looking out at the scenery below from 18 A or L.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Any thoughts on seats for two people with no status not paying extra for MCE? Does it matter? Would row 36 be a decent choice since there are only two or just pick the furthest forward free seats?
36 AC/JL are good for that indeed. If you can get those for free and aren't willing to pay extra for your seats, go for it. Chances of an empty middle seat elsewhere are pretty slim these days with loads as high as they are. The last three rows are pretty much the only free way to guarantee no seat neighbors for non-status passengers. Seat maps are NOT a reliable indicator of how busy a flight will be.h
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Thanks for this. I'm still curious about the statement in the wiki, "20 DEGH: designated and sold as Main Cabin Extra but beware as reports here suggest these seats do not offer additional leg room." Would love to hear any reports/updates on this as I'm considering paying to move into them on a 10 hour FRA-CLT flight later this year.
I'll answer my own question for posterity. I went ahead and booked row 20 for our ten hour FRA-CLT flight this week. The DEGH seats in row 20 have just as much leg room as those in rows 17, 18 & 19. I measured the space from the front of the arm rest to the back of the seat in front (my wife carries a tape measure for buying fabric) and rows 17-20 measured 18 inches, while row 21 in regular coach measured 13 inches. The extra five inches made a world of difference on the ten hour flight.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What would you pick for 2 people? OW Sapphire so I can pick whatever. Traveling with my dad on MXP-JFK, so day flight.

Leaning towards 19JK, although would consider the middle 4 but I read a comment about the middle rows feeling tighter. Or would you go row 26 despite the door protrusion and immovable arm rests?
Attached Images  
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:52 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pochama
What would you pick for 2 people? OW Sapphire so I can pick whatever. Traveling with my dad on MXP-JFK, so day flight.

Leaning towards 19JK, although would consider the middle 4 but I read a comment about the middle rows feeling tighter. Or would you go row 26 despite the door protrusion and immovable arm rests?
When is the flight? As a solo traveler, I'd pick the exit row so I can have the window/wall to lean against and am free to get up as well.

Otherwise possibly an aisle and window and hope the middle stays free (if flight is soon, probably will work, if not then probably not)
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by S80
When is the flight? As a solo traveler, I'd pick the exit row so I can have the window/wall to lean against and am free to get up as well.

Otherwise possibly an aisle and window and hope the middle stays free (if flight is soon, probably will work, if not then probably not)
June, so plenty of time for things to fill up. Went with row 26 for now.

Last edited by Pochama; Mar 6, 2024 at 9:58 am
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:50 am

Any thoughts on 25A or 36-38 A/J? Would be nice to just have one neighbor, but not sure if the seats are narrower there. For 25A, is the bathroom proximity annoying?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:01 pm

Deleted
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:02 pm

I'll answer my own question for posterity. I went ahead and booked row 20 for our ten hour FRA-CLT flight this week. The DEGH seats in row 20 have just as much leg room as those in rows 17, 18 & 19. I measured the space from the front of the arm rest to the back of the seat in front (my wife carries a tape measure for buying fabric) and rows 17-20 measured 18 inches, while row 21 in regular coach measured 13 inches. The extra five inches made a world of difference on the ten hour flight.
Did you happen to notice whether seats ABC or JKL had the same legroom as DEGH? The various seat maps show ABC and JKL as not being MCE, but it seems odd that the middle 4 seats in that row (DEGH) are MCE with extra legroom while the 3 seats in either side of them are not MCE.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by avatexrs
Did you happen to notice whether seats ABC or JKL had the same legroom as DEGH? The various seat maps show ABC and JKL as not being MCE, but it seems odd that the middle 4 seats in that row (DEGH) are MCE with extra legroom while the 3 seats in either side of them are not MCE.
My recollection was the two window sections in row 20 were narrower, standard coach seats. I did not measure them, but looking across the aisle those people were more cramped. I ~think~ the difference in the two outside sections is due to the lavoratories.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA Silver, UA Premier, SIA PPS, SL Exec, HH, Hyatt, Starwood, Marriott
Row 17 has A and C (no B). Anything to worry about those two, 17A and 17C? I just got 17C. I wonder if I should keep it or switch back to 26D. Thanks for any comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.