Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I check in at airport counter the day before (18 hours before departure)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub

I am flying on a somewhat „complicated“ ticket, mix of AA and BA, JFK > Bermuda > London > Italy. My first leg leaves at a very unfriendly 7AM, and I would like to have a boarding pass on my phone (or, plan B, in my hand) already today. I cannot check in on the mobile app or the website. It wants to scan my passport, but that doesn‘t work somehow (probably because I have a non-US passport). Hence it‘s check in at the airport.

As I land at JFK already today on another flight, can I already go to the AA counter there and get a boarding pass for tomorrow morning? It would be 18 hours before departure. Online check-in opens 24 hours before departure, what about check-in at the counter? I have no luggage to check.

Really appreciate any help, as I would go from my arrivals Terminal at JFK (T1) to T8 only if I can get a boarding pass. Otherwise I wouldn‘t bother and would need to get up earlier tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Old May 30, 2023, 6:05 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
You can try. In theory, since we are able to check in 24 hours prior to trip they should be able to process it and give a boarding pass. Being International with a nonUS passport, though, not sure if that throws a wrinkle into the suit.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:07 am

The ticket counter opens at 2:30AM: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...fk-airport.jsp

Last edited by MarkY123; May 30, 2023 at 8:45 pm Reason: Corrected a typo
Old May 30, 2023, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by MarkY123
The tickets counter opens at 2:30AM: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...fk-airport.jsp
But that‘s the point, I don‘t want to be there at 2:30AM
wrp96, cdubz and ksucats like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
As I land at JFK already today on another flight, can I already go to the AA counter there and get a boarding pass for tomorrow morning? It would be 18 hours before departure. Online check-in opens 24 hours before departure, what about check-in at the counter? I have no luggage to check.
Yes, as long as you're within 24 hours of the flight they can check you in at the airport counters, even if it's the day before.

I've done this a few times at various airports over the years.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:21 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
LoL….since when is a 7:00AM departure time unfriendly?🤔
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:22 am

But that‘s the point, I don‘t want to be there at 2:30AM
What time can you be there? It's only closed between 12:30 AM and 2:30 AM. You should be able to check in 24 hours before your flight, as long as the ticket counter is open.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! Looks like it‘s possible then. I‘ll head over to T8 then.

Originally Posted by 355F1
LoL….since when is a 7:00AM departure time unfriendly?🤔

7AM departure means arriving at the airport no later than 6AM and actually a bit before. Which means leaving home 5:15AM. Which means getting up at 4:40AM (I am one of those who shower before starting the day…). Getting out of bed at any time before 6:30AM.I don‘t like a lot…
ZenFlyer, aquanine, nk15 and 8 others like this.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:19 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Thanks a lot! Looks like it‘s possible then. I‘ll head over to T8 then.

7AM departure means arriving at the airport no later than 6AM and actually a bit before. Which means leaving home 5:15AM. Which means getting up at 4:40AM (I am one of those who shower before starting the day…). Getting out of bed at any time before 6:30AM.I don‘t like a lot…
Be grateful you don't have to take flights that depart at 5am.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
You can check in and get a boarding pass but they won’t accept bags
Old May 30, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
One of the kiosks at JFK T8 might work too.
Old May 30, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
I'm assuming AA isn't the same based on other posters in the thread, but just wanted to present one data point that in-person check-in for UA can only be done 12 hours in advance despite online check-in being available at 24 hours. I know this as I had some passport related issues with a flight last fall and had some time the night before to run up to the airport and see if they could fix it for me, but they said they couldn't do anything as it wasn't within 12 hours. I ended up just getting to the airport early to deal with it.
Old May 30, 2023, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Everything worked out fine. they checked me in the flagship checkin area and printed my boarding pass for the American flight and the subsequent British Airways flights. Afterwards I could even retrieve my American boarding pass on the mobile app. I presume I get my British Airways boarding passes from the American or British Airways app within 24 hours of the British departure

thanks again for all the help.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek
You can check in and get a boarding pass but they won’t accept bags
I was thinking the same thing. I flew with someone who was on SW. She was the airport 6 hours prior. She could check in, but could not check her bags in . Had to wait 4 hours prior for that.
Old May 30, 2023, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by RRROOO
I was thinking the same thing. I flew with someone who was on SW. She was the airport 6 hours prior. She could check in, but could not check her bags in . Had to wait 4 hours prior for that.
A lot of that depends on the airport. For example, there is an airport wide rule at FLL for no baggage check in more than 4 hours to flight time, no matter the airline. But go down the road to MIA, flying AA I've checked bags first thing in the morning for a flight late that evening with no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.