Wiki Posts
Search

On Rolling Delays on Rebooking

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
On Rolling Delays on Rebooking

I was scheduled to fly PIT-CLT-LHR-GVA last week. Platinum Pro in paid business all BA flight numbers. *A was cheaper but I picked OW flights as AA has previously been very accommodating in the event of delays. I was traveling for a two day work trip.

PIT CLT 2011 2137
CLT LHR 2320 1215+1
LHR GVA 1415 1650

The inbound CLT PIT leaves 1h21m late (mechanical), is due in at 823pm and when I arrive at the airport my flight is delayed from 811pm to 848pm with a new arrival time of 1014pm.

I ask AA staff at PIT if I can be rebooked on the direct BA flight PIT LHR at 2145 that AA codeshares on as my connection is getting tight and there is no way the return will actually leave at 848pm when the inbound is coming it at 823pm. Also getting stranded in CLT would result in a full day delay of my trip. I am told "no. there is no way you will miss the flight. Also, why would we just give money to another airline." They state that if the flight is "delayed further" that I can request again. I hang out at check in and the departure time is finally pushed back to 9pm with a new arrival time of 1026pm. I ask again and am told that 54 minutes is plenty of time and I will not be rebooked.

I call AA and use the chat service and am told to pound sand. I eventually ask to speak to a supervisor at the airport and am told no again. I am then slightly pushier than I usually like to be (stating I am an elite member blah blah) and am finally rebooked on the direct PIT-LHR with a lot of huffing and puffing and grumbling from staff. The PIT CLT flight continues to be delayed further and eventually pushes back at 933pm with an arrival into CLT just before 11pm. In the end I would have had about 25 minutes to make the connection and had to change concourses so I don't know whether I would have made it.

Is it common to have this much pushback? I was booked in I class and the flight was only open in J C D R. I would have happily paid the fare difference to R but AA was (understandably) unable to reissue the ticket as it was booked through BA. Have people had more luck with agents at the airport in this situation or calling AA?

When agents tell me that they know that I will make my connection it really ticks me off likely because I have had many avoidable overnight stays in Charlotte after hearing such statements. The official MCT in Charlotte is ridiculously short (35 minutes I believe) so I can understand the hesitation to rebook if the connection is longer than that. If they had acknowledged that the flight is likely to be delayed further but that they cannot rebook me until my connection is below XXX time, fine, but I cannot believe that they think there is no possibility that I would miss my connection. The rolling delay did eventually put me below the 35 minutes but not until after check in for PIT-LHR was closed. When I booked the flight the fare difference between my route and PIT-LHR-GVA was about $8,000 but seats opened up in cheaper fare classes closer to departure.

It all worked out in the end. I am a firm believer that you can catch more flies with honey instead of vinegar but in this case it was not true which is unfortunate.
Old May 6, 2023, 12:31 pm
Suspended

I don’t have anything to add other than support in your frustration.

AA constantly does rolling delays, even when the estimated departure time of a flight has already passed and the plane isn’t even at the gate. Yesterday my flight was shown on the app as arriving at x:05, even when the time reached x:35.

And staff members who refuse to do simple things because they know better than I do are frustrating; in my case, they will just refuse to add me to a standby list because “you won’t make it”. Well of course I won’t if I’m not even on the list but you can’t type for 15 seconds?
Old May 6, 2023, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I've never had that much pushback, however for that kind of request I always ask in the Admirals Club if possible where they will typically utilize common sense and be much more accommodating.

For day of departure irrops like that you never need to worry with fare classes or buying up to a different fare or anything like that.

I would never waste my time with chat, they will just give you the company line and whats in front of them on their computer "sorry can't rebook you, still a legal connection".

I once was flying RDU-JFK-LHR with 2 hours at JFK, late arriving plane meant the first flight posted a 30 min delay, I asked in the AC if they could just rebook me on the RDU-LHR nonstop and they did so without any hesitation.
MarkY123 and madmanshoney like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I encountered the rolling delay nonsense a couple weeks back in CHS. Scheduled departure time was 7:40; then 8:20; then 8:50; then 9:15; then 9:55; then 10:30; then 10:55....

We did not depart until 11:30 pm - 3:50 late.

AA knew that the inbound that made up our flight hadn't even left DFW, yet AA continued to post rolling delays and updates.

AA did - starting about 9:00 pm offer passengers the chance to rebook - but the only rebook options meant having to overnight in CHS and depart the following day. Probably fine if you were originating in CHS, but not if you were returning to DCA.
Old May 7, 2023, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I've never had that much pushback, however for that kind of request I always ask in the Admirals Club if possible where they will typically utilize common sense and be much more accommodating.
Good suggestion thanks - this is something I could / should have done but didn't think of. Good to know for next time!
Old May 7, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
The Admirals Club rebooking suggestion is a good one, those agents are generally a bit less stressed and more accommodating. Gate Agents can be hit and miss - they deal with a large number of people asking all sorts of questions and demands which is surely exhausting.

Your experience doesn't seem out of character for AA or rebooking at the gate in general. Remaining polite but certain of your request and having all the info needed to help the GA rebook swiftly is about all you can do. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.
Old May 7, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I dropped my AC membership; the agents are the one thing I will miss. Guess I’ll pay for a day pass if I’m in a similar situation.
Old May 7, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
CLT is a pretty small airport (Except the regional area) 25 minutes is probably under MCT, but easy t change terminals there (Moving walkways get you across the terminal fairly quickly.

Not saying pushing for the direct wasn't the "Correct" answer just saying the 25 min in CLT isn't terrible.
Old May 7, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by beachfan
I dropped my AC membership; the agents are the one thing I will miss. Guess I’ll pay for a day pass if I’m in a similar situation.
Good luck getting a day pass. Last two attempts have been denied at DFW. Not OP related, but just received notice that my two upcoming 1200 mile flights now board 28 minutes sooner and arrives 28 minutes later than the original schedule. An extra hour in flight? I didn't think they could stretch flight times anymore than they do today. Probably an entire thread on this.
Old May 7, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Oh....I can think of a few others:

#1 wifi that is not virus package laden
#2 cleaner bathrooms
#3 free drinks and food even if it is average to decent only

My AC membership is, what, $450 a year (through the Exec card). If I visit the club at least one per segment (and sometimes twice), I think that brings it down to less than $10 per visit. Plut my AUs use the club too.
Old May 7, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
CLT is a pretty small airport (Except the regional area) 25 minutes is probably under MCT, but easy t change terminals there (Moving walkways get you across the terminal fairly quickly.

Not saying pushing for the direct wasn't the "Correct" answer just saying the 25 min in CLT isn't terrible.
25min from door to door sure -- but 25min from landing until whatever time the gate agent decides to close the gate for the next flight? If you're lucky that leaves you about 10 minutes but if you're unlucky you might not even be off the plane before the gate was closed.
Uzzar likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Never carried one. Its just fine without it.

The AC is the Project Oasis of lounges.
Old May 7, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

25 minutes is not reasonable at any AA airport when the connection is to an international flight which on AA "requires" you to be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure. As in OP's case

I take short connections through CLT all the time. Short connections are preferable to long ones. But no agent or traveler should be counting on a 25 minute time to connect to an international long-haul as safe.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 1:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you are in a similar situation (flying overseas and have plat or higher status), then you'd have lounge access and wouldn't need to buy a daypass.

I'm struggling to see why the OP didn't just book the BA PIT-LHR nonstop to begin with, especially since this is biz travel.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OP had status and was in J, so AC access was not an issue, except the lounge in PIT is only open 9m certain days within very specific hours. Could be an issue unless your flight is within the opening hours/days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.