Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA hard sells First upgrades to entire economy cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA hard sells First upgrades to entire economy cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by EXP100
When you accept and understand that AA (and also other US domestic airlines) has become credit card mill that happen to prospect for applicants while flying them from Point A to Point B (often not on time) you understand the new "loyalty" scheme. I agree a day of reckoning is coming and maybe soo
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Agreed. Legacy airlines are near-monopolies that get revenues through credit cards, and they happen to fly planes to generate additional revenue.
I am no financial expert but am I reading this correctly in AA's annual report filed with the SEC?
Credit card is roughly 10% of their total revenue?
BERGBRLY and WeekendTraveler like this.

Last edited by carlosdca; May 5, 2023 at 12:49 pm
Old May 5, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is value to the programme for AA to encourage people to use AA for its travel - it is encouraging peopel to make transactions with it. Someone who is tied to using the airline by virtue of a pretty card is perhaps unlikely to go away just becuase someone else got a better upgrade offer

Loyalty is a one way street - the airline isn't loyal to the customer - think of the customer as a potential cash cow that needs milking
This "take" seems to view the consumer as a mindless idiot who doesn't behave rationally. While brand value is really difficult to quantify, this behavior in the long run hurts consumer perceptions and ultimately revenue generation. AA, UA, DL all benefit from elites who essentially treat their services as "luxuries" (in the economic sense, not necessarily the experiential sense). That is, consumers are at times willing to pay a premium to stick with their preferred airline if they can afford it, on the margin, and if they feel that paying the premium gives them a quality upgrade to their experience in return (the quality upgrade could come in the form of better customer service from phone agents, more checked bags, preferred boarding, "free" upgrades, etc.). If this quality margin elites benefit from is eroded across the board, at all airlines, then fare price eventually becomes the only differentiator.
Old May 5, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Apologies for this geeky question: Does anyone know if AA is using a particular fare bucket for the upgrade offers? I am curious what the fare calculation looks like on the face of the ticket to see how they've priced it and the inventory they used. Or, perhaps they are using an EMD and processing it similar to purchasing a seat assignment. Sorry, it's the detailed geek in me when it comes to airline ticketing.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by 1kprem
Apologies for this geeky question: Does anyone know if AA is using a particular fare bucket for the upgrade offers?
No apologies! I've only jumped on this once. Was rebooked in J inventory on a $240-ish transcon upgrade on the A321T.

Ticket was not reissued or revalidated--upgrade charge was made on a separate document (teletype in Sabre noted it as "Instant Upsell Ancillary EMD").

I ended up cancelling trip and had to request a refund to trip credit for the upgrade. The underlying ticket remained under agency control in Sabre for future exchange.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; May 5, 2023 at 6:20 pm Reason: amplification
Old May 11, 2023, 9:46 am

Talking

Originally Posted by hbtr
I agree, 2 payment methods on a single transaction would be awkward and probably wouldn’t work with corp TAs. Having said that, it would sure be nice if upfaring was a simple transaction that you could do online. Right now you have to call in, wait on hold, ask the automated system for an agent because it doesn’t recognize the word “upfare,” explain to the agent that you are trying to upfare rather than upgrade, convince the agent that you should only be required to pay the fare difference and not a change fee, wait while they contact the rate desk because your ticket had a corporate discount, and so on.
Come on, where's your sense of adventure?
Old May 13, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I am no financial expert but am I reading this correctly in AA's annual report filed with the SEC?
Credit card is roughly 10% of their total revenue?
But revenue doesn't necessarily drive profits. Where are the profits coming from?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
In general, I respect AAs efforts to monetize the F cabin. I think of upgrades as "if we have open seats just before takeoff, we'll give them to you". But if he post above is true, I am a bit bothered by AA charging elite members more than non-elites to upgrade...
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:51 pm

Agreed. As an EXP it’s disappointing to see F seats available at 100 hours out and not receive an upgrade. AA waits until they start boarding to give an upgrade at which point there is barely one F seat left. AA should revise their statement on timing. They would rather have an extra $150 over my loyalty speaks volumes.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cmckenna07
Agreed. As an EXP it’s disappointing to see F seats available at 100 hours out and not receive an upgrade. AA waits until they start boarding to give an upgrade at which point there is barely one F seat left. AA should revise their statement on timing. They would rather have an extra $150 over my loyalty speaks volumes.
That the seats are selling is an obvious reason why AA is not giving them away for free - if it didn't think that it would sell them, then more chance that it would offer the upgrade earlier.
Indeed - of course the airline would prefer $150 rather than zero The airline has no loyalty to you, it just wants you to act like a loyal puppy to it

Its relation to you is transactional
AAway and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:59 pm

Unfortunately I agree with you 100% and the recent changes have made it even more obvious!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:31 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Originally Posted by Cmckenna07
it’s only $150 and that now earns LPs and miles. Why not just purchase an upgrade then ?
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Some relatives (no status) - flew a mid-con last week and were offered upgrades for $100 which they took.
The issue is what is the value of frequent flyer EXP to a twice a year flyer with no status? Apparently less than $100 per flight - if any value at all.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The use of free upgrades would seem to me to be something that AA will give should it not sell the seats, as opposed to not collecting money for them

It isn't whether the EP member is worth $100 per flight but whether the airline can sell the seat. Should it go unsold then an EP member will be able to grab it. If wanting certainty of travelling in business class, pay for it
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The use of free upgrades would seem to me to be something that AA will give should it not sell the seats, as opposed to not collecting money for them

It isn't whether the EP member is worth $100 per flight but whether the airline can sell the seat. Should it go unsold then an EP member will be able to grab it. If wanting certainty of travelling in business class, pay for it
The difference is - the cost of the First Class seat is much higher if you buy it when you ticket (because you wanted it) as compared to what is offered two days before flight to entice you. This is what we call 10's of Dollars on United Forum.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova
The difference is - the cost of the First Class seat is much higher if you buy it when you ticket (because you wanted it) as compared to what is offered two days before flight to entice you. This is what we call 10's of Dollars on United Forum.
An EXP could also buy the upgrade for $100 - it’s not like the option isn’t there. It’s not like upgrades are only being offered to relatives without status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.