Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA hard sells First upgrades to entire economy cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

I did not realize AA is selling upgrades to entire economy cabin prior to upgrade window by sending an email to everyone prior to the free upgrade window for all elites. This is an excellent reason just to buy First if you are buying early as you will get LPs

* At three days prior to departure AA now offers a lower price to others in the economy cabin.
I am Exec Plat and now I see AA has offered people with lower or no status a cheaper price to upgrade to First on my domestic +4 hour flight. My Upgrade offer is $517 to First class and the other people on my flight who are lower elites have an offer of $217 to First class. This is offer was made 3 days prior to departure where there were at least 3 seats in First availalbe
jmj9905 likes this.

Last edited by Centurion; May 2, 2023 at 10:31 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Yes, AA has been pushing first upsells hard for several years now. That's why I changed my strategy to just buy first if the price is reasonable and only rely on complementary upgrades on shorter routes.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Personally, I think upgrades are not reliable. As my employer is now willing to pay outright for First/Business for me, I am now doing just that.

(I used to fly Coach all the time when I paid for my own tickets out of my pocket. Then I developed arthritis in my knees and was looking to stop traveling. My boss switched thing around and now pays for my premium tickets plus my regular consulting fee.)
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I’ve never got an email, but I see it in the app. That said, I’ve flown AA for 14 weeks, and I’ve gotten comp upgrades on more flights than not. I also got PDBs on my last three flights!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:13 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
I said it a while back in the TOD upgrade thread...
Hard sell the upgrade to J how ever you want until the EXP T-100 window begins.
After that, if someone is willing to pay for a J ticket then that is perfectly fine.

My loyalty should be worth more than $205 DFW-DEN at T-48.
Spiff, Dedicated, thelark and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Personally, I think upgrades are not reliable. As my employer is now willing to pay outright for First/Business for me, I am now doing just that.

(I used to fly Coach all the time when I paid for my own tickets out of my pocket. Then I developed arthritis in my knees and was looking to stop traveling. My boss switched thing around and now pays for my premium tickets plus my regular consulting fee.)
Time for an FT handle change
moondog, corky, renila and 16 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by BrianV
I’ve never got an email, but I see it in the app. That said, I’ve flown AA for 14 weeks, and I’ve gotten comp upgrades on more flights than not. I also got PDBs on my last three flights!
I was wondering how long it would take for PDBs to make their way into this thread.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I'm pretty sure that most people are willing to pay for F when it's OPM.

I'm not sure what it means for upgrades to be "reliable". They are space available. I get them more often than not despite usually being on award tickets (putting me at the bottom of the EXP pile). I don't think it's reasonable to expect them all the time and I have no problem with AA selling upgrades.
bse118 and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Honestly, getting incremental revenue (hard cash) for F seats means something to AA's bottom line. And AA needs to pay down its debt!

Unfortunately, that does not bode well for complimentary upgrades.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:43 pm
Suspended

On my 600-mile trip, first class is usually $100 to $150 more (above a $300 coach ticket).

Often it’s only $80 more; why everyone does NOT pay that (unless company travel policies don’t allow it) is beyond me.

In the app, the minimum up charge is $205 which seems a bit much, given the lower cost of just buying first class when booking the ticket.
iplaybass likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:42 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Darling I am delighted for you - although I have 100% sympathy for the arthritis - sincerely. However should not your handle be Queen Of First to better reflect your new status. xxx
dcmike, deeruck and jlemon like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
On my 600-mile trip, first class is usually $100 to $150 more (above a $300 coach ticket).

Often it’s only $80 more; why everyone does NOT pay that (unless company travel policies don’t allow it) is beyond me.

In the app, the minimum up charge is $205 which seems a bit much, given the lower cost of just buying first class when booking the ticket.
Not everyone wants to pay 27-50% extra for 1st class for an hour and a half. They may well feel that the money can be much better spent on something else other than a better seat for a short journey
Spiff, moondog, BERGBRLY and 10 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not everyone wants to pay 27-50% extra for 1st class for an hour and a half. They may well feel that the money can be much better spent on something else other than a better seat for a short journey
Yeah, I wouldn't pay that for such a short flight. I wouldn't even pay the $80. The F product doesn't warrant it. An exit row MCE seat is fine. A complimentary upgrade would be appreciated but if not it's no big deal.

If the F product was better I would be more likely to pay it, for sure.
Abidjan, bse118, joeyE and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Yeah, I wouldn't pay that for such a short flight. I wouldn't even pay the $80. The F product doesn't warrant it. An exit row MCE seat is fine. A complimentary upgrade would be appreciated but if not it's no big deal.

If the F product was better I would be more likely to pay it, for sure.
Agreed, but that being said… if they added a function to more easily pay the difference in a simple transaction, I’d be more likely to buy First, right away.

e.g,, Let me buy a J ticket where the coach portion is paid initially, but within the same transaction, the fare difference to J is charged separately. Thus generating a coach receipt I can turn in to client/employer. The fare diff to is my own expense.

I know I can do this now, by purchasing the coach ticket and then “changing” up to J, but that’s a pain. Let me do it all in the initial transaction.
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

What you are writing about is what America West Airlines sold. They sold you a Yup fare that you could give to an employer that showed a Y class ticket but it booked
immediately into First.

Originally Posted by Beachfun71
Agreed, but that being said… if they added a function to more easily pay the difference in a simple transaction, I’d be more likely to buy First, right away.

e.g,, Let me buy a J ticket where the coach portion is paid initially, but within the same transaction, the fare difference to J is charged separately. Thus generating a coach receipt I can turn in to client/employer. The fare diff to is my own expense.

I know I can do this now, by purchasing the coach ticket and then “changing” up to J, but that’s a pain. Let me do it all in the initial transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.