Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not earning correct miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Not earning correct miles?

I'm an EP, flew J, and LP and award miles seemed very low to me.

Award Miles 3,399
Base miles 1,545
Bonus miles 1,854
Loyalty Points 3,399

Should I not have an 11x multiplier here?

More info:
  • This was the initial segment
  • Base fare was ~772
  • Upgraded to J but I guess the upgrade cost isn't included in their calculations... Which is ridiculous

Last edited by BarrenLucidity; Apr 25, 2023 at 7:53 am
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity

Award Miles 3,399
Base miles 1,545
Bonus miles 1,854
Loyalty Points 3,399

LPs are based on the fare you paid. Was your ticket around $300? Was it on AA or a partner? I think we need a bit more info.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Award Miles 3,399
Base miles 1,545
Bonus miles 1,854
Loyalty Points 3,399

Yea, if your fare was $3,000,000 then the LP earnings do seem a bit low.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:17 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
No that looks correct at first glance. You get 5x dollars as base miles and 6x as bonus for a total of 11x. Looks like your base fare was $309. 309 * 11 = 3399.

You can verify that the miles posted by fare instead of distance, you should see "Method: Fare" or "Method: Distance" on the detail screen in your history. Partner flights or trips where AA IT loses the fare info usually post by distance instead of by fare.
KBMIFlyer and BarrenLucidity like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Also, is this just from one segment of the total trip?
Old Apr 25, 2023, 8:11 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
  • This was the initial segment
  • Base fare was ~772
  • Upgraded to J but I guess the upgrade cost isn't included in their calculations... Which is ridiculous
Is your trip completed? If that was one segment of a larger trip, the fare rules may have it priced low and follow on segments may be higher. If the full trip posted, and your base fare was $772 BEFORE taxes and fees, then yes - this is too low. Your base fare would be in the email trip confirmation (if purchased from AA).

If you chose the in-app or aa.com upgrade option for $$, it's clearly stated that LPs will not be earned. So while just about all of us here think it's ridiculous that they don't do this, it doesn't stop most people from taking the bait if there is value in it. On that same token, we could argue that there should be LPs earned for all ancillary spending like preferred and MCE seat and baggage fees.
RaindropT and USFlyerUS like this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
So while just about all of us here think it's ridiculous that they don't do this, it doesn't stop most people from taking the bait if there is value in it. On that same token, we could argue that there should be LPs earned for all ancillary spending like preferred and MCE seat and baggage fees.
Agreed 100%. It's crazy upgrades, bag fees, etc. -- i.e., actual purchases from AA -- don't. My cat's litter purchase for god sake earns LPs lol.
catmndu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.