Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long to wait for Upsell price to come down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2023, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

I am an Executive Platinum member. I have flights from DFW to LHR, FCO, OGG & HNL. I am trying to figure out the timing of how long to wait for the Upsell price to go down for an upgrade to Business class. Once I put an upgrade request with SWU, Business Extra Upgrade or Miles & Money the upsell offers stop. How far out before my flight should I wait before requesting the upgrade?
Old Feb 24, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
What amount of upsell prices are you seeing? And when are you traveling? Depending on those factors, the prices you're getting now might be the best you're going to get. It really depends.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Feb 24, 2023 at 5:09 pm
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
What amount of upsell prices are you seeing? And when are you traveling? Depending on those factors, the prices you're getting now might be the best you're going to get. It really depends.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS

3300 to FCO, 2400 from LHR, 1100 from HNL but that was only for premium economy. FCO and LHR are May and HNL is July.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There's no clear and easy answer here. The upsell offers may come down or they may never come down. Holding off on requesting SWU upgrades means you might miss out on clearing a waitlisted upgrade. You could possibly set up an ExpertFlyer alert to watch for C space, and not apply SWUs until you get an alert that it can be immediately confirmed, keeping an eye on the upsell offers in the interim... but it's still possible that even if SWU space is released, you never get an alert because it goes to other people already on the waitlist who you might have been ahead of if you just requested the SWU upgrade now. Decide what you want to gamble on.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Marriot Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by deani
3300 to FCO, 2400 from LHR, 1100 from HNL but that was only for premium economy. FCO and LHR are May and HNL is July.
I would never pay those upsell prices. 2400 for LHR to DFW I would say you can even get that with a regular fare change to business.
enviroian likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:17 am
Original Poster

The prices seem really high. I already have premium economy on every leg except back from HNL. I’m willing to pay $1000 each way but that would be the max. I’m struggling with when to put in the request. I would hate to miss an upgrade that became available but if I put in a request then I don’t see upsells. I have an expert flyer alert setup. In checking different forums there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer to this dilemma.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by deani
In checking different forums there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer to this dilemma.
Correct, there won’t be. Anyone who claims there is is BSing you.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
You could watch the inventory of J in expertflyer. As people begin buying those seats, the upsell offer will be even less likely to move. I think an SWU is worth saving $1000 (the max you said you'd pay) on some of those routes. But only a few people probably know the algorithm that determines those upsell prices and they aren't likely here on FT, and if they are they're not going to give us an answer.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Ok. Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
I’m just here to wish you luck on the upgrades !
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mosfet
I’m just here to wish you luck on the upgrades !
That too - and remember life as a 'free agent' has it's benefits!
Old Feb 25, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Upsell is almost always exorbitant out of DFW.

You probably could get a cheaper routing in paid J for some of those fares if you’re willing to be creative with your routing.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m assuming these are just fare difference up-fares and not LFBUs / discounted upgrades? If so there’s nothing preventing you from doing one regardless of whether the offer shows online or in the app. Just keep an eye on J fares and call if the difference comes down to something acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.