Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Why Does the AA App Make Me Go to AA.com to Change Seats??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond

So maybe there is a very simple answer to this question, but I have an international itinerary originating and ending with AA with two segments on BA in the middle. The reservation has been ticketed since 2/1 and is showing as "ticketed" on aa.com, but when I go to the app and try and change seats, it give me pop up asking if I want to go to aa.com. I can change my AA seats, with no issue on the site. The only other time I have seen this is when I have a newly booked trip and it hasn't ticketed yet. I'm worried that some part of the reservation is hanging, but the twitter team tells me all looks good.

One other oddity, I had requested a miles and copay upgrade on one segment and it has cleared (I've picked a seat in business), but on both the app and aa.com, it's still showing the upgrade as "Requested". Are these normal AA IT glitches or should I ask them to dig deeper?

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Sometimes you can change seats directly through the app and sometimes it directs you to aa.com, I truly don't understand the difference.
DeepUnderground and ksucats like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Sometimes you can change seats directly through the app and sometimes it directs you to aa.com, I truly don't understand the difference.
I suspect that certain types of tickets, such as ones that have partners are in some sort of different data structure on the back end. The app likely hasn't been written to modify that data structure.

Just speculation, as I don't have access to the back end of AA's systems, but I have seen this sort of stuff happen when additional features are bolted on a legacy system.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:08 am

Easy. If it’s all AA and is not ticketed, it will send you to .com. If there is any other airline in the PNR (I believe including AA*) it send you to .com. So 2 use cases are AA not ticketed and if there is another airline in the PNR
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 777lover
Easy. If it’s all AA and is not ticketed, it will send you to .com. If there is any other airline in the PNR (I believe including AA*) it send you to .com. So 2 use cases are AA not ticketed and if there is another airline in the PNR
FWIW, I had this happen just yesterday on an all AA PNR. All day it allowed me to look at the seat map on the app. Then, all of a sudden, maybe 1-2 hours before departure, it insisted I go to aa.com. It seemed very random.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777lover
While accurate, that's not an exhaustive list of when you get sent to aa.com. There are other edge cases that seem to do it too.
AAway likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Antarius
While accurate, that's not an exhaustive list of when you get sent to aa.com. There are other edge cases that seem to do it too.
Correct... it also happens if your connection is flaky and the app has any trouble trying to load the seat map. And it's a very, very short timeout before it punts you over... the app is not patient.

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 10, 2023 at 10:20 am
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:11 am

Programs: Some/Most/All
Moon phase seems to be one of those edge cases.

Like the poster above, I have had all-AA, seemingly simple (out-and-back,) fully-ticketed flights that kicked me to .com.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Gold
The only thing I can attribute this to is poor IT infrastructure. It’s frustrating that sometimes I feel like I’m on a low cost carrier given some of these weird inconsistencies. Cmon AA, you’re the biggest airline in the world. Behave like it!
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:04 pm

I do not trust the AA app for changes or upgrades. I was offered an upgrade through the app, which I accepted and was charged (immediately) for but it was in error. After an hour on the phone with AA they told me that they would refund my money, which they never did and I had to dispute the charge with Citi (eventually it was refunded). The agent also told me never to use the app for upgrades, instead only use the website or do it at the airport. So that's what I will do from now on.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onenorth
I do not trust the AA app for changes or upgrades. I was offered an upgrade through the app, which I accepted and was charged (immediately) for but it was in error. After an hour on the phone with AA they told me that they would refund my money, which they never did and I had to dispute the charge with Citi (eventually it was refunded). The agent also told me never to use the app for upgrades, instead only use the website or do it at the airport. So that's what I will do from now on.
Wait.. you accidentally bought an upgrade you didn't want? How?
Old Feb 11, 2023, 6:08 pm

Wait.. you accidentally bought an upgrade you didn't want? How?
No. I wanted the upgrade, but AA offered it to me in error.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:52 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
What i have found is that most of my AMEX Travel bookings always make me go to AA.com.....my direct aa.com bookings, rarely, if ever.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The app will let you change seats in the app only if it's an AA (001) ticket and all the flights are on AA metal. It will also block you if the trip is on hold because it does not (yet) have an AA ticket.
355F1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.