Wiki Posts
Search

1hr connection at DFW + customs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by FLL88
WhiskeyRiver If you arrive at check in 2hrs before departure, you should be able to check in, clear customs and get a coffee with time to spare
Yep, you're right and then some - just came back yesterday. For a post-holiday travel week, YYC was nearly deserted. No line to return our rental car. No line at the AA desk to check our bags. No line at security (so no need to try to skip it with Global Entry cards). After security, we walked over to the empty bank of Global Entry kiosks, scanned our faces, handed our printouts to the Customs agent, and we were through. Probably one of the fastest airport arrivals we've ever done, domestic or international.
S80 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:48 am

This is interesting; when I had my final GE interview, the agent told me I would never need the physical GE card for any reason.

Clearly there are at least some uses for the card. I might open a thread on the "trusted travelers" forum to see if there are other reasons. Given what I was told, I also never "activated" the GE card, wondering if I should do so now.
S80 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:58 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smithrh
This is interesting; when I had my final GE interview, the agent told me I would never need the physical GE card for any reason.

Clearly there are at least some uses for the card. I might open a thread on the "trusted travelers" forum to see if there are other reasons. Given what I was told, I also never "activated" the GE card, wondering if I should do so now.
I've never actually needed it, it's just a nice to have for the expedited CATSA line (where applicable), as a Real ID (whenever those are actually required) for TSA, and another form of ID that doesn't contain an address, etc, for when you'd rather not give that information out.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by S80
I've never actually needed it, it's just a nice to have for the expedited CATSA line (where applicable), as a Real ID (whenever those are actually required) for TSA, and another form of ID that doesn't contain an address, etc, for when you'd rather not give that information out.
Completely agree, I've used my Passport card in many situations for this exact reason.

I added to the "Do you need the GE card thread" in the Trusted Travelers section; unfortunately the Wiki page that has the information on when the card is useful/mandatory is down at the moment.

Odd that an agent would give this advice, unless he had access to my travel history and saw only air travel entry and assumed that would continue.
S80 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRiver
This should be fun. Flying back from Canada YYC > DFW > AUS the week after Christmas. Original flight schedule gave us ~3.5 hours to connect and clear customs with checked bags. AA changed the schedule, and now we have exactly 1 hour for the same connection. We have a lot working in our favor - Global Entry + PreCheck + Clear (not sure if the latter helps in this case), but 1 hour seems awfully tight. I guess the wildcard will be baggage claim after customs. Coming back through MIA a couple weeks ago, it took over 30 minutes to get our bags at customs, then a HUGE line for security afterwards - no PreCheck option.
Similar question: I've got just over an hour from scheduled arrival at CLT (from MBJ) to connect to domestic connection. Have read that the official minimum is 60 minutes but any anecdotal data for this? Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 29, 2022, 2:25 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Similar question: I've got just over an hour from scheduled arrival at CLT (from MBJ) to connect to domestic connection. Have read that the official minimum is 60 minutes but any anecdotal data for this? Thanks in advance...
It's the easiest arrival experience that I've experienced of the AA hubs (although DFW has also been pretty quick for me with Global Entry). An hour should be fine, but obviously doesn't leave much room for error, particularly if that's the last connecting flight of the night. I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it, but you may feel otherwise depending on your personal risk tolerance.
MasterPlanner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.