Search

For all of you non-rev folks here...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 10:47 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
For all of you non-rev folks here...

I am showing J1/Y2 on EF for a PHX-CLT flight Tuesday (AA 818).

My sister is trying to get home flying stand-by as a non-rev (her husband just got hired as a pilot), and she told me that her husband says there are over 20 seats showing as available on this flight.

Is there really this much of a discrepancy or is my sister not understanding something?

From the looks of the 5 flights that day it looks like a standby nightmare unless she gets on the 6am flight (which, I recommended as it is is showing Y7).
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Is she looking at seats assigned?
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by 355F1

My sister is trying to get home flying stand-by as a non-rev (her husband just got hired as a pilot), and she told me that her husband says there are over 20 seats showing as available on this flight.

Is there really this much of a discrepancy or is my sister not understanding something?

From the looks of the 5 flights that day it looks like a standby nightmare unless she gets on the 6am flight (which, I recommended as it is is showing Y7).
Now showing J1/Y0

AA 818PHX 12/27/22 7:30 AM CLT 12/27/22 1:22 PM 321 C0 J1 R0 D0 I0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 G0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

The 6AM shows a lot of unassigned/open seats. Much better chance if she flys standby on AA 832 at 6AM
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Premier
Not sure where he was looking, but as of right now (subject to change), AA818 only shows 1 open seat for Tuesday.

To your point, would recommend listing for AA832 at 6am. Good rule of thumb is to list for earliest flights of the day. Worst case if you don’t get on, you get rolled to the next flight and maintain your earlier check in time/priority.
wrp96, 355F1 and sky_throwaway like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:44 am

Well your sister now knows to have a backup revenue plan.
jamiel likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:19 pm

This is the worst time of the year to travel non-rev
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Seats showing available is not an indication of the flight emptyness
Many people do not have assigned seats until the last minute.
It is better to rely on the ticket bucket numbers to determine how full the flight is.
I would not recommend standby travel during the holiday period
wrp96 and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
About the only reliable chance of non-revving over holidays is ACM in a jumpseat. And even then...
jamiel and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:43 pm

As others have stated non revenue travel is very impractical during peak travel times. In the old days games could be played for non rev pax. Now you need a backup revenue ticket plan. NOTE You can not buy a revenue ticket on your non rev airline as a backup to your non rev flight. If caught you or your non rev sponsor will be in big trouble and lose your benefits

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 26, 2022 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by Centurion
As others have stated non revenue travel is very impractical during peak travel times. In the old days games could be played for non rev pax. Now you need a backup revenue ticket plan. NOTE You can not buy a revenue ticket on your non rev airline as a backup to your non rev flight. If caught you or your non rev sponsor will be in big trouble and lose your benefits
Yep, and trust me, the airline will eventually discover it. I've had co-workers get in serious trouble over this,
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
There is also a redeye that has space up front......
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat

It depends on what she means by "over 20 seats showing as available".

If she's looking at the seat map, that information is almost worthless. People have reservations with no seat assignment and some seats are blocked from being assigned until check-in or day of departure.

If she's looking at the actual booking information, which is available to non-revs, then it may be accurate. In IRROPS, it is common for airlines to zero out, or greater reduce, availability, what EF would show, to leave room for reaccomodating displaced passengers.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:30 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by wrp96
Is she looking at seats assigned?
Originally Posted by Centurion
Well your sister now knows to have a backup revenue plan.
Originally Posted by mvoight
Seats showing available is not an indication of the flight emptyness
Many people do not have assigned seats until the last minute.
It is better to rely on the ticket bucket numbers to determine how full the flight is.
I would not recommend standby travel during the holiday period
Originally Posted by LarryJ
It depends on what she means by "over 20 seats showing as available".

If she's looking at the seat map, that information is almost worthless. People have reservations with no seat assignment and some seats are blocked from being assigned until check-in or day of departure.

If she's looking at the actual booking information, which is available to non-revs, then it may be accurate. In IRROPS, it is common for airlines to zero out, or greater reduce, availability, what EF would show, to leave room for reaccomodating displaced passengers.
She said her husband was looking at the internal AA employee website (I am not familiar with it). I look at EF with my paid subscription.

My sister is not the brightest crayon in the box...so idk what her deal is but I told her she was most likely not going to get home tomorrow now--she needs 2 seats and is a brand new non-rev, so I believe there is some sort of list where she would be at the bottom based on her husband being newly hired?

She has until Friday to get home and Thursday's flights look good for flying standby but I simply told her "Good luck camping out at the airport for 8 hours with your 8yo waiting for a seat if you don't get on the 6am flight tomorrow.

I told her if I was Non-rev there's no way I would travel with the 10,000+ flight cancelations this weekend due to storms.
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I believe there is some sort of list where she would be at the bottom based on her husband being newly hired?
American uses time-of-check-in for boarding priority for non-revs within the same classification. She would be D2; D1 if using a vacation pass.
FlyerBeek, 355F1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:45 pm

It is bad enough to non-rev at this holiday time of year and with the disruptions caused by the weather. But with an 8 yo?

Not a great idea.
donotblink and rt23456p like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.