Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When Do AA Loyalty Points Start to Accrue for 2024 Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Do AA Loyalty Points Start to Accrue for 2024 Status?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bse118
The change in the dates of the qualification year was announced when the Loyalty Points program was announced, it's not news. The odd 14 month qualification year is this year only as the program transitions to the new term.

I've always assumed this was to give a bit of a grace period so that people meeting the thresholds with activity right at the end of the qualification year didn't lose status temporarily while waiting for that activity to post.
Correct, this helps anyone waiting for something to post from Partners and even AA. Sometimes even AA LPs/RDMs can take a couple of days to post. I find this happens when there's been a reissue of the ticket.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
So the bizarre 14-month qualification period is a one time thing?

Does that mean that January and February 2023 are double-dip months that count twice for qualifying (both for 2022 and 2023)?

Or going forward will future qualification years be the 12 months beginning March and ending February?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 3:15 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Herb687
So the bizarre 14-month qualification period is a one time thing?

Does that mean that January and February 2023 are double-dip months that count twice for qualifying (both for 2022 and 2023)?

Or going forward will future qualification years be the 12 months beginning March and ending February?
As mentioned upthread, the 14 month period was to transition out of the old program and into the new. Going forward, it will be March 1 - Feb 28/29, with status from prior year ending March 31.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-status.jsp

Loyalty Points are the new way to reach AAdvantage® status. You’ll qualify for status based on the Loyalty Points posted to your account for the 12-month period starting on March 1 of each year. And, the new AAdvantage® status membership year is valid through March 31 of each year.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PHL
As mentioned upthread, the 14 month period was to transition out of the old program and into the new. Going forward, it will be March 1 - Feb 28/29, with status from prior year ending March 31.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...age-status.jsp

Loyalty Points are the new way to reach AAdvantage® status. You’ll qualify for status based on the Loyalty Points posted to your account for the 12-month period starting on March 1 of each year. And, the new AAdvantage® status membership year is valid through March 31 of each year.
Also, earning requirements are far above 2021 albeit the cc spend was introduced. But some of this was a "soft landing" due to the higher earning thresholds.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Jan/Feb was only "double-dip" for this past year (2022) as the AAdvantage program transitioned to its new calendar and earning structure. To be clear: Jan/Feb 2023 will not count twice for elite qualification.

-FlyerBeek
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Obviously, I didn't pay attention to the details as I missed the 14 month change. They just said 200k LP and 30 segments, go do it. Met all that this month. Was actually working on Mrs. Deac83 Plat status, via Aviator cc, and noticed the new date.

It's just strange to realize I don't need to book a single trip before 3/1 and Mrs. Deac83 doesn't have to spend more to make a 12/31 deadline.

I'm sure it was discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it, but last year was a 'covid' qualification year for a lot of reasons for double dip made sense, but when they change the program dates this year why not 'true up' for those that still qualified from 1/1 to 12/31? It seems to make your most frequent fliers indifferent to booking paid travel for, at least 2 months. And I can shift my cc spend to the most beneficial program.

FWIW, not having to complete travel by 12/31 works better anyway, as we take that week off and would rather come back from a trip in the first week of Jan.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:01 am

Ummmm. There was a change to the AAdvantage year when they rolled out the new program.

Huh? The qualification period for elite status now starts March 1??? Flights I take 1/1/23 - 2/28/23 credit to the 2022 earning year?

Why? This seems like stupid additional complexity offering no benefit.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by 777lover
Ummmm. There was a change to the AAdvantage year when they rolled out the new program.
Apparently so. But I still don't see how a Mar-Feb program year when the rest of the points and miles world is on a Jan-Dec year really helps passengers or AA.

Complexity for the sake of complexity. At least rolling 12 months would have been a true point of differentiation.

Oh well. I will still be sitting up front regardless of what status I earn and when!
Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Hadn't focused on this change. I pushed a trip from Dec to Jan thinking it would help with next year's qualification. Oh well.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Apparently so. But I still don't see how a Mar-Feb program year when the rest of the points and miles world is on a Jan-Dec year really helps passengers or AA.

Complexity for the sake of complexity. At least rolling 12 months would have been a true point of differentiation.

Oh well. I will still be sitting up front regardless of what status I earn and when!
You're getting points from credit card spend. AA wants to make sure that spend over the holiday period counts for the year you spend it, not the next qualifying year, which would happen if the qualifying period starts 1/1.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
You're getting points from credit card spend. AA wants to make sure that spend over the holiday period counts for the year you spend it, not the next qualifying year, which would happen if the qualifying period starts 1/1.
Then that makes it a worse proposition for AA. Assuming that the award of LPs/RDMs has cost to AA, AA has an incentive to defer having to pay out on the benefit.

Most travel loyalty programs have a way to earn points from credit card spend. As far as I know, none bar AA have moved away from a 1/1-12/31 qualifying year.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Then that makes it a worse proposition for AA. Assuming that the award of LPs/RDMs has cost to AA, AA has an incentive to defer having to pay out on the benefit.
How? What is being deferred?
ksucats likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Huh?

AA is selling RDMs (/LPs) to its partners (CC and otherwise.) The idea is that selling those points outweighs whatever cost AA has through redemptions. That's pretty much the entire premise that the LP program is built on.
ksucats and LovePrunes like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bse118
Huh?

AA is selling RDMs (/LPs) to its partners (CC and otherwise.) The idea is that selling those points outweighs whatever cost AA has through redemptions. That's pretty much the entire premise that the LP program is built on.
Collect the revenue from the sale of miles as soon as possible.
Defer providing the benefits to customers for as long as possible.

That would be the optimal strategy for AA.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
wait so I have until 3/1 to qualify but no double dip for 23?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.